Umbrella Rig

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
River Monster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Umbrella Rig

Post by River Monster »

Anyone use one of these with success?
- Rick Ozga
Roblin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Umbrella Rig

Post by Roblin »

Seen them, never used them. Can you imagine trying to get all those hooks out of your net. Remember, there's been more tackle created for catching fishermen, than fish.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

I have used them a bit both casting and trolling.

Casting:
The splash when they hit the water is immense, this is not a nice quiet presentation. I have taken a few large mouths on this rig, but no more successful (and probably less) than with other lures. I have taken no pike or small-mouth bass, which I think says something about the presentation.

Trolling:
They troll OK, but with lots of drag (not surprising). I only trolled with them once and had zero luck.

The umbrella rig continues to have a place in my tackle box, but I don't reach for it very often...
CyrusG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CyrusG »

I used it a few times last year and caught some pike but i'd rather toss out a spinnerbait, if you plan to use it know that your only allowed to use 4 hooks on it.
Cy
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

LiplessCrank wrote:I used it a few times last year and caught some pike but i'd rather toss out a spinnerbait, if you plan to use it know that your only allowed to use 4 hooks on it.
Unless they changed the ruling, I thought it was 3 hooks in Ontario?
River Monster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by River Monster »

lape0019 wrote:
LiplessCrank wrote:I used it a few times last year and caught some pike but i'd rather toss out a spinnerbait, if you plan to use it know that your only allowed to use 4 hooks on it.
Unless they changed the ruling, I thought it was 3 hooks in Ontario?
4 hooks allowed http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/Le ... 97331.html

Thanks for the reply's guys! The bait is for my step brother, I personally wouldn't use one (at least not yet). Lucky for him, he's got one to borrow. We will see how it turns out.
- Rick Ozga
SeaMonster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by SeaMonster »

It's 3 in QC.
I have a few, I've had no luck, but I haven't give it much time. Not my confidence bait.

Don't know if I'm missing out, the US tournaments are coo-coo for coco puffs over them. They created a buzz a while back when they first came out here, but I haven't heard much since. Either everyone is good at keeping quiet or not much happening
MichaelGA
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MichaelGA »

As far as i'm aware they are banned or being banned in most tourneys. FLW was the first to ban I believe.
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

I've fished with them in the States and caught fish. Never thrown them here though.. They're most effective in the fall when the largies school up (they don't as much here) and prespawn (when we can't fish them).

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tbone1088 »

I have tried a few different kinds shore fishing and am not really impressed yet. Lots of tangles and hangups, few fish. The only one I kept is a two lure rig that works with topwaters. Limited success with this one, but I think the right lure combination might do the trick.
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

The Z-Man is a nice alternative, will cast much easier and is not that heavier than a Spinnerbait....Tell Marc, Ed has them at Paddletales ;)

Same idea, schooling minnows on the run...but one hook lol

If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

tbone1088 wrote:I have tried a few different kinds shore fishing and am not really impressed yet. Lots of tangles and hangups, few fish. The only one I kept is a two lure rig that works with topwaters. Limited success with this one, but I think the right lure combination might do the trick.
I read up on this a lot before trying one and what really helped me avoid tangles was some advice I read on a tackletour review. Because the weight really needs to be lob casted, it tends to hit the water facing away from the castor. The trick is to stop the line with your thumb before the rig hits the water. It will turn the bait 180 degrees before any slack line is available to get hung up in the rig when it hits the water. It worked quite well for me, but it still didn't manage enough fish for me to throw it on a regular basis.