First time fishing Quebec - Lac Macdonald

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
theDL
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

First time fishing Quebec - Lac Macdonald

Post by theDL »

Haven't looked it up yet, but I know there's guys on here from Quebec so I figured I'd ask here. I'll be heading to a cottage on (Grand?) Lac MacDonald near Tremblant this summer. Anything I need to know other than buy a local license? I'll be up there for a few days, hoping they've got a cheap temporary conservation option. Can you just pick them up in the local tackle shops like you can in Ontario?

Anyone fished that lake before know anything about it? All I know is that it's apparently not deep, so I'm figuring bass and pike are a likely tar :?: get
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: First time fishing Quebec - Lac Macdonald

Post by ShawnD »

Can't help you with that lake unfortunately..
but I can tell you that a QC license bought here or there is no different.. So instead of looking around for one just pop by Cdn tire in Hull.
Or the one in Gatineau.

You could try tempting the locals for spots with Jo-louis's :lol: :lol: :lol:

Scratch that, it's Tremblant, so bring a fondue and expensive cheese.. :roll:
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
joepile
Participant
Participant

Post by joepile »

lol
theDL
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by theDL »

thanks Shawn!
Mudpout
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Mudpout »

Only fished the lake once in the local derby and finished 2nd. It is a pretty easy lake to fish, fish typical structure like humps ( they were marked), the main lake is littered with cabbage beds, hop from bed to bed and you'll find them. head to the river that flows into little lake and fish where the river joins either macdonald or litte lake and you'll find them. Our big fish came at either of those drop offs. There is an awesome drop off at the north end but thats where everyone parks their boats so its not as fishable.

some tank smallies in that lake and decent pike fishing.

FISH ON!
theDL
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by theDL »

Thanks a lot mudpout, that's great info :D
SeaMonster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by SeaMonster »

South of Arundel?
You're a good chunk away from Tremblant, wouln't worry about the fondue... unles of course you want it for yourself.

Worst case, you can get a license at a depaneur/store a few clicks from the lake. There's an SAQ section (LCBO) there too, so bonus....
http://www.mddelcc.gouv.qc.ca/faune/per ... eGeo=77060
3455, ROUTE PRINCIPALE WENTWORTH-NORD QC

There is no concept in QC of a conservation license, unless you're at an outfitter and you C&R, but that's something else entirely.

Prices for non-res

Full season 67,55 $
7 days 45,22 $
3 days 29,41 $
1 day 13,35 $
Whitetail
Participant
Participant

Post by Whitetail »

I actually grew up at that lake. Lots of bass and Pike. There are a lot of Rocks along the north side of the lake near the east end. Lots of bass along there.
There is a very nice home directly across the lake from there. Fish in front of there dock. Big hole there and big bass. Go further up the south side to a beach with a boat house on stilts. ( second sandy its called) Very good for bass there also. The lake is very shallow in places. Although I have caught many lake trout in the spring in the little lake at the west end. It goes 80ft in places.
Hope this helps
theDL
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by theDL »

Thanks Whitetail, very helpfull info.

Any boating hazards in the lake that aren't marked with a jug or something?
theDL
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by theDL »

Thanks Whitetail, very helpfull info.

Any boating hazards in the lake that aren't marked with a jug or something?

Is the public launch easy to find?
Mudpout
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Mudpout »

There is no real public launch. The beach on the north end is a launch spot but you need a key from a resident to open the gate , and make sure they are with you or you will get hassled. It is a super soft beach where the sand is ankle deep as soon as u step in it. You need a real 4x4 with real tires to launch a good sized rig there. I hear there is a launch at the camp ground but not sure on the details. Good luck on your trip. Hoping to see a report!
Scumking
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Scumking »

Mudpout is correct thwere is no real launch, the campground launch I he is referring to is CAMAC (music college) and is really not much of a launch basicly another small beach.Not sure if it is even public .The access road to the launch is vary narrow and there is not much room to maneuver once you get to the water. I only launched once there with my 15 ft legend and it was not easy.

It's been over 10 years since I fished there. Through the 80's the smallmouth bass/pike fishing was spectacular. As mentioned second sandy was a real good spot as well as the next point over going north Wright's Point.

Ron