mystery tackle box

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
OutdoorActionOntario
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant
Location: Ottawa Region, Georgian Bay region, Kawartha Lakes Region

Re: mystery tackle box

Post by OutdoorActionOntario »

Received my first Mystery Tackle Box yesterday and as promised I will give you a run-down of the product I received:

1. 2 VMC drop shot hooks (wasn't the same drop shot hook as indicated on the MTB card that comes with the order, they included a note saying I would recieve an "extra special" package next time due to this)

2. 3 tear-shaped drop shot weights (can't remember brand)

3. 1 3/8 oz. football jig (can't remember brand)

4. 1 Livetarget Field Mouse

5. pack of BioSpawn drop shot baits (4 to package)

6. another drop shot bait (can't remember brand)

7. Strike King Game Hawg 3.5 inch (3 to package)

8. 1 back of Baitmate scent attractant

I honestly believe I will be able to use all of these lures in my bass-fishing across Ontario this summer - they all seem pretty good. Based on this first experience, I would say I probably received a solid 20-25 dollars of tackle, so a pretty decent return on investment i would say.
OutdoorActionOntario - Ottawa ON
kliven
Participant
Participant

Post by kliven »

I personally find Lucky Tackle box better.

http://www.luckytacklebox.com/

Mystery Tackle Box gives you great stuff, don't get me wrong, but they give you sample packs. Lucky Tackle box gives you the same diversity of baits, but no sample packs, so it's by far more worth it.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Just as an FYI, a buddy of mine sent me this to show me what he got this month. Not a bad bag if you ask me. I would just still prefer to grab what I want off of the shelf.

ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

Thanks for the run down. :idea:
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
Streamside88
Participant
Participant

Post by Streamside88 »

i got it for 3 months.... its pretty good you definitely get your moneys worth if your a big bass guy! i on the other hand have plenty of bass stuff and plastics and bass is the last thing on my list to catch these days so if your like me don't bother if you just started your bass fishing addiction then id say go for it for sure! they do send good quality name brand stuff and some terminal tackle to go with it.....

lucky tackle box seems legit but i didn't mind the sample packs since your basically trying them out and if your not gonna use them then your not stuck with a big bag full...
BassHunterOttawa
Participant
Participant

Post by BassHunterOttawa »

lape0019 wrote:Just as an FYI, a buddy of mine sent me this to show me what he got this month. Not a bad bag if you ask me. I would just still prefer to grab what I want off of the shelf.

Wow, that's a great bag. I hear you about grabbing what you want off the shelf, but that seems like a great way to augment and test out new stuff - do those livetarget mice work? I've got a frog that I hardly use...
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

I can't see why they they wouldn't. They aren't mine and I haven't bought any yet.
MichaelGA
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MichaelGA »

Mice work but generally only where you would logically find a lot of mice. ie. not on the concrete waterfronts of the rideau or ottawa. However out on the Mississippi River in front of a grain farm / silo storage area... you bet.
BassHunterOttawa
Participant
Participant

Post by BassHunterOttawa »

MichaelGA wrote:Mice work but generally only where you would logically find a lot of mice. ie. not on the concrete waterfronts of the rideau or ottawa. However out on the Mississippi River in front of a grain farm / silo storage area... you bet.
Common sense approach. Good point.
Brian
Participant
Participant

Post by Brian »

Well curiosity got to me again, and I've now signed up for all three: Mystery Tackle Box, Tackle Grab, and Lucky Tackle Box. They all ship around the 10th of the month, so hopefully by the end of August I'll have all three to compare. I'll post some pics and comments on them when they arrive.

As for my previous post about Tackle Grab, the 'profile' you fill out to help them determine what to send you is pretty straight forward: level of fishing, from boat or shore, species, and techniques you use. All check boxes. The upside of this is you'll get "stuff" to expand your collection. The downside is that I doubt you'll get anything new to try (in terms of technique). Anyway, I'll have more to say once things show up.
- Brian
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

Brian wrote:Well curiosity got to me again, and I've now signed up for all three: Mystery Tackle Box, Tackle Grab, and Lucky Tackle Box. They all ship around the 10th of the month, so hopefully by the end of August I'll have all three to compare. I'll post some pics and comments on them when they arrive.

As for my previous post about Tackle Grab, the 'profile' you fill out to help them determine what to send you is pretty straight forward: level of fishing, from boat or shore, species, and techniques you use. All check boxes. The upside of this is you'll get "stuff" to expand your collection. The downside is that I doubt you'll get anything new to try (in terms of technique). Anyway, I'll have more to say once things show up.
Awesome! I'm looking forward to you reporting about it.
:D
Keep us posted! :!: :!:
Brian
Participant
Participant

Post by Brian »

Well, two of the three have arrived. The third (Tackle Grab) apparently ships on the 15th and hasn't arrived, so I'll add that info later when it does.

While Mystery Tackle Box and Lucky Tackle Box ships two days apart (MTB on the 10th, and LTB on the 8th), they both arrived today (the 18th). LTB emails you with a tracking number, and MTB does not. I like tracking inbound packages almost as much as receiving them, so that was a notch for LTB, however that was about it as you'll soon see.

First I opened MTB:

All in all, not too bad. I'm not disappointed and will likely give all of that a try.

Second I opened LTB:

Was not impressed. First, the Fish and Wash wasn't in the box. Second, the Reaction Strike packages for the swimbaits and the hooks looked like they were sitting in a bargain bin out in the sun for 2 years. The package was crumpled, and opened, the hooks were sticking through the package, it was a mess. The super worms, in my opinion are junk.. if I wanted to fish with something like that I'd hit up the pet store and get some live ones. The Xcite baits were a sample pack of 4. The full pack according to Xcite baits web-site has 6 items. So much for the "No Sample Packs".

The LuckyTackleBox web site is mostly full of BS (mention that you deserve better than sample packs, but then send you sample packs for example) to lock you in to subscribing. There isn't a link (that I could find) on their web-site to get back to your subscription. You have to go back to your email when you subscribed and use an external link (not part of their website, it's billingportal dot com) to get back in and cancel. Found all this a bit odd, but whatever.

Anyway, that's it so far. I haven't had a chance to test any of these baits out, but will get a chance this weekend. I'll post again when TackleGrab comes.
- Brian
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

Thanks Brian :!:
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lapointeric »

Out4trout wrote:Rather than join a club like this... I ought to start one!!
I have too many unused lures as it is... don't need more. :)
Where do I register for your mystery tackle box?
toned
Participant
Participant

Post by toned »

Brian, I got the same thing as you (or VERY Close, my crank is a diff color I think)
and I'm really happy with what I got

ya, you know what, I don't get 8 plastics of each, but I get 3-4 and it's enough for me to try it

I am happy overall, no complaints