Easing Into Guiding for Muskie

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Easing Into Guiding for Muskie

Post by Yannick Loranger »

After turning down dozens of clients wanting to go after muskie exclusively, last year I finally lined up an associate that could put ORGF clients onto muskie. That experiment yielded 0 muskie, but our walleye/muskie mixed package meant clients always caught fish. This year, my right hand man Sebastian was my muskie guy and he has worked tirelessly at honing his muskie skills. He found fish, landing them was a different story, after a frustarting 0 for 12 stretch, #13 made it into the boat for client Jeremy.

Then came last Saturday. Richard, Kevin, and Tony had a great morning of fishing with me. Limits of walleye were in the well, and we had nice shots of big cats and sheephead. With an hour left, the decision was made to swing for the fences. Kevin got a nice pike on the troll. We stopped on a nice looking weedline, and on his second cast Richard calmly calls: ''fish''. This thing came in like a 3lbs walleye, then surfaced next to the boat. That's when we realized we had something special. Soon after she was in the net and we were all trembling with excitement. The first intentional muskie my boat ever saw was this 53'' beast.

For now, I still have a problem with charging somebody a good chunk of change to potentially catch no fish but I can say with confidence that Sebastian is the most consistent muskie angler I know and I have no problem sending you out with him for a day of chasing big nasty toothy buggers. If casting big lures all day isn't your thing but you'd like a good shot at a muskie, check out of Treats and Thrills package: http://ottawariverfishing.ca/en/special_deals.asp

Tight lines!
Yannick
Yannick Loranger
Owner and Head Guide
Ottawa River Guided Fishing
http://www.OttawaRiverFishing.ca
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Easing Into Guiding for Muskie

Post by smitty55 »

Wow. Beauty fish there Yan. Congrats to Richard and you on adding more things to your repertoire. Seems like you sure picked the right business to be in.Good for you man.
It seems strange that a huge ski like that came in like a pussy. Must have been somewhat disappointing in a way. Assuming Richard released it, did it seem healthy enough when it swam away? I guess it wasn't too stressed out from the fight...

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Yannick Loranger »

smitty55 wrote: It seems strange that a huge ski like that came in like a pussy. Must have been somewhat disappointing in a way. Assuming Richard released it, did it seem healthy enough when it swam away? I guess it wasn't too stressed out from the fight...

Cheers
She made 2 short runs then Richard did a nice maneuver to spin her around at the boat to put her head first in the net. We caught a low 40s earlier this season while walleye fishing that was considerably more challenging to land. We held that one for a good 20 minutes to release it. When we release a muskie, I tell clients to hold the fish until she kicks out of your hand. When a fish that size wants to go, she'll go. We spent about 5-10 minutes on this fish before she went away strong.
Yannick Loranger
Owner and Head Guide
Ottawa River Guided Fishing
http://www.OttawaRiverFishing.ca
BigC
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BigC »

Nice catch for you and your client.
CyrusG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CyrusG »

Wow what a musky, you'll be getting a lot more clients when more guys see this :lol:
Cy
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lapointeric »

HeII of a catch there Yan, well done to your associate.

E
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

Some nice work Yan!
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
Hank Jr
Participant
Participant

Post by Hank Jr »

Nice Muskie thanks for the report
scuro
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scuro »

Fish of my dreams...I have two that will haunt me until my death. TY for sharing.
...anything to bend the rod
banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by banjo »

Very nice musky.
I also applaud you for not rushing into the musky promising and keeping clients happy. Well Done!
rex.stpierre
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rex.stpierre »

Beau-ti-full!!!! A walleye limit and a fifty incher.... Priceless...
This year I spent most of my money on beer, women and fishing...the rest I wasted.