Lake X-actly what I needed!!!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Bassassins
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Lake X-actly what I needed!!!

Post by Bassassins »

es·cape - to slip or get away, as from confinement or restraint; gain or regain liberty

This is what I needed to do.. lots of work, small quick outings... feeling trapped, rushed and just needed to ESCAPE the city. With a Monday night and all Tuesday off I talked my friend and newly obsessed fisherman Dave into taking a day off and joining me. Ended the work day Monday and got out of the city as soon as we could - the wilderness was in our sights, off the beaten path - a little adventure if you will.

This was Dave's first TRUE camping experience but far from civilization may have not been the best idea --- but to see the true off the grid experience through his eyes was quite fun - could have stared at those stars for days! The noises we were hearing around us even put a chill down my spike but hey good to get the heart pumping every now and then.

This lake has been great to us in the past from shore and I was excited to hit it from the boat - started fishing shore lines and the bass just kept coming!

This smile I couldn't get off his face all day - Dave has been fishing a lot around the city but when I said this would be an amazing day I don't think he really knew what he was going to experience - fish after fish after fish ... unfortunately as the day got hotter those hook sets were sPikes instead of bass.

As I was reminded a fish is a fish :roll: BUT it really started to get to me a little ... cast, hit, hookset --- another sPike!!! Spinners, Wacky --- even went deep to avoid them on the Drop Shot BUT more and more sPikes!!! I NEVER would have guessed my highlight from this whole trip would have come with teeth but when they are this big even I won't complain!!!

We did however manage to find the odd bass through the pike as the day continued...

It was hard to get off the water, who would want this to end but it was time to get back to the real world... A trip I think we will both remember for different reasons but I will admit it was incredible to see this from the point of view of a first timer.

Need to find time for more of these - camping, fishing and a little drinking .... sounds like an adventure to me!!!

Until next time --- tight lines!
Last edited by Bassassins on Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.facebook.com/TheBassassins
Field Staff - FISHBUM Outfitters, Angler's Choice, Streamside
#ExistToFishCanada #LiveYourAdventure
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Lake X-actly what I needed!!!

Post by zippyfx »

Wow, that sounds like an awesome day on the water!

Never begrudge a fish even if it's not what your targeting, nothing beats having fish on!

I think your buddy seemed to be happy with the trip!
Chevy Champagne
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Chevy Champagne »

awesome work buddy!
that lake looks a little familiar! there's some giant walleye in there to bud!
CyrusG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CyrusG »

Good stuff!!
Cy
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lapointeric »

Ahhh, even I went on your camping trip for a few seconds there! ;-)

With a newborn (now 3 month-old) daughter at home, I haven't seen this little fishing since i was 15....

Cheers.

E
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

Very cool.
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
Bassassins
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Bassassins »

Thanks guys! - it really was a blast and Dave is already texting for the next time we can go lol he is in trouble now... soon the dreams will start! lol
http://www.facebook.com/TheBassassins
Field Staff - FISHBUM Outfitters, Angler's Choice, Streamside
#ExistToFishCanada #LiveYourAdventure
OutdoorActionOntario
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant
Location: Ottawa Region, Georgian Bay region, Kawartha Lakes Region

Post by OutdoorActionOntario »

Nothing beats getting out of the City for a little escape - I 100% agree. Since I got my kayaks this spring I have been focused on finding small bodies of water that don't get a lot of pressure and I must say, the bass in these waterways will hit baits so hard and fast it is amazing. You have to wonder if they've ever seen a drop shot before.

Ditto on the pike thing too - i can't believe how many pike are in these waters. Even if you aren't hitting the big guys, you get lots of little hammer handles.

We have an abundance of fishing spots in the Ottawa area that are not the Ottawa river, and all you need to do is open Google Maps to satellite view and start looking. They're all within an hours drive, and the fishing is totally ridonkulous on almost all of these waterways.

We're very blessed by these natural bounties, that is for sure.

Tight lines.
OutdoorActionOntario - Ottawa ON