Danger Giant Hogweed

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
manpatches
Participant
Participant

Danger Giant Hogweed

Post by manpatches »

apparently there is giant hogweed in around the area near shirleys bay. My doc said it poison ivy but i dont see how it could have gotten on my wrist. I took the necessary precautions. A friends of mine showed it to and the bubbles matched up perfectly. Just letting you all know to be careful seeing it hurt like a bitch but totally worth it seeing the fishing was amazing. and got a week off work and did more fishing on top of that. other than some pain was worth it lol just be careful out there gents! enjoy!
Attachments
425.JPG
425.JPG (2.73 MiB) Viewed 3680 times
426.JPG
426.JPG (1.73 MiB) Viewed 3680 times
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Danger Giant Hogweed

Post by Todd B. »

Sounds like you ran into some wild parsnip. There's only been one or two reported occurrences of giant hogweed in the region. Wild parsnip on the other hand is just as nasty and is growing pretty much everywhere in the region. The grounds around the RVCA is full of it.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

manpatches wrote:enjoy!
What's to enjoy? I almost barfed my food!
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Todd B. wrote:Sounds like you ran into some wild parsnip.
I agree Todd. Good link.That stuff has been rampant the last few years it seems. There's tons of it on the roadsides out this way. I think the municipalities should make more of an effort to mow more of it when it's young or even better spray the stuff because it sure seems to be spreading fast. Around my place I make one snip at the base and then carefully toss it totally out of the way. With leather gloves of course. Very nasty stuff.

Glad you had good fishing manpatches. The Ottawa can be quite generous at times. Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

Yuck! I've caught plenty of poinson ivey from fishing the past couple of years and that does not look a poison ivy blister or pattern.
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

That should leave a nice scar / reminder
evan14
Participant
Participant

Post by evan14 »

got hogweed on my leg out in alberta, looked like that, left scars that honestly look like bullet wounds. deepest after a blister popped was about half inch into my skin. Very brutal.
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

There is hogweed along Hwy 17 everywhere these days. I was coming home from the Kap and went to stroll down by the water at a picnic area and halfway thru this path of weeds I realized it was hogweed. I did not get a reaction but that is exactly what hogweed rashes look like. Wild turnip as it is called is a bit smaller blisters and it leaves more of a red area. Did the plant have a tall white flower top on it? Wild turnip looks similar but does not get as big and the flower is yellow not white..

Smitty it is the juices of the wild trunip that sucks the most so make sure you do not wipe your face after touching that stuff.
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL
Streamside88
Participant
Participant

Post by Streamside88 »

dont know about hog weed ... but sherlys is COVERED in poison ivy ! I mean literally everywhere! and once they start to secrete the oil, it gets on everything ..... it all depends on how allergic your body is to it!

example: if i go through it i get maybe one or 2 really small bubbles but if my cousin goes through the same spot his legs will turn into puss volcano's with Big blisters ..... depends on your immune system....
OutdoorActionOntario
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant
Location: Ottawa Region, Georgian Bay region, Kawartha Lakes Region

Post by OutdoorActionOntario »

So I shouldn't eat wild parsnip is what you are telling me? :mrgreen:
OutdoorActionOntario - Ottawa ON