Ottawa's getting crowded....

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Streamside88
Participant
Participant

Ottawa's getting crowded....

Post by Streamside88 »

Seems like just a couple years ago i could go to any one of my spots after work and not see a single soul until sun down.... these days doesn't matter where i go or pass by, there's ALWAYS someone there!! (shore fishing or wading) Is it just me or am I the only one who noticed the pick up in angling?.... just the other day i counted 9 fisherman wading the same stretch of water within EYESIGHT :shock: !!!!!!! and i still managed to catch something 8) haha....

guess ill have to use up some extra time and effort and stick to taking my yak, seems like its the only way i can access undisturbed water....
BassHunterOttawa
Participant
Participant

Re: Ottawa's getting crowded....

Post by BassHunterOttawa »

I've noticed the same thing - Bate Island to Westboro used to be fairly quiet, but it's more and more crowded. Forget about weekends. If you kayak, go for it. I spent a lot of last summer in the Kawarthas, and I'll be heading there again in a couple of weeks for some serenity.
TheDon
Participant
Participant

Post by TheDon »

Definitely noticed the same thing. One area where it's particularly obvious is Dow's Lake. Also seems to be a lot less fish than there used to be. I've seen lots of poachers there although I have not had any hit me with their fishing rod (yet) :D
Fishoholic
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fishoholic »

Population growing plus advancements in technology help people find spots easier. Plus word of mouth on where the hot fishing currently is goes a lot further nowadays. That's my take on it at least.
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

That is why I get the willies when I hear people talking about "Growing The Sport" and getting kids into fishing...

NO!!! STOP IT!!! Tell them all fishing sucks and they should all go golfing!!

Maybe I am an old coot, but I HATE seeing other people in the spots I like to fish!!

I honestly think that the only people that benefit from "Growing" the sport are people who make money off us.

Other than the obvious benefits of having your kids get into something you love and spending time with them, who has truly benefited from "Growing" the sport other than those making money off us?

Craig The Old Coot
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

It's very very crowded in Newfoundland. :wink:
Overcrowding could be a major factor that contributed to the depletion of the cod stocks off the shores of Newfoundland. :roll:
Orrrrrrr, had those big trawlers and their big nets done more catch and release, we would not be in this predicament. 8)
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Drive 30 minutes out of the city, tough to expect any spot to yourself within the city limits with a population over a million.. :lol:

RJ
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tbone1088 »

Idk I see alot of people in popular spots, but when the weather turns or it gets dark out everyone leaves then you have it all to yourself!Plus the fishing is better at these times anyways
OutdoorActionOntario
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant
Location: Ottawa Region, Georgian Bay region, Kawartha Lakes Region

Post by OutdoorActionOntario »

Even if you are limited to shore fishing, you can still get out of the city (unless you don't have a car, in which case I don't know what to tell you.)

BUT, even without a car, you can still get out of the city - head east by taking a bus to Petrie Island (you will have to walk from Trim Rd. down to the island, 5 minutes, big deal)

Or, travel westwards... realistically it ain't much to get away from the urban sprawl and find some areas where you will be practically alone on the water.

Another tip - go fishing when its RAINING. People hate the rain - but fish love it, so you will not only have the water more to yourself but you will likely have a good go with the fish as well.
OutdoorActionOntario - Ottawa ON