trolling deep for lakers

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: trolling deep for lakers

Post by ganman »

You should try the.... "Twinkie". ;)

It works best with a good size circle hook.

You take a couple of good size nightcrawlers and hook'em once in the middle. Then you take some real thick clay mixed with stones and pack it around the crawlers.

It will sink like a "stone" and when it hits bottom jiggle it a bit so the clay dissolves and the crawlers wiggle out. The trout are attracted to the cloud of dirt and then see the wiggling crawlers and come over and swim off with them. With the circle hook all you have to do is keep a tight line and the trout hooks itself.

Then you are free to fight the trout sans heavy sinkers and dipseys etc..

I should get paid for handing out these gems :lol: :lol:
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Hammered I assume??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

RJ
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

Believe it or not I only had a 5 tall boys and 1/2 bottle of wine in me (just another Wed or Thurs night) so no...not hammered.

However I am looking forward to your next months blog with the Twinkie as a hot new pattern :lol: I do have some more gems including a stationary trolling technique. :?
MichaelGA
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MichaelGA »

Interesting stuff.... thanks
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Familiar lakes you say... and you have found them.

You are marking them and know their depths.

Agree with others here, drop jigs right on their snouts.
flewdogg
Participant
Participant

Post by flewdogg »

A brief post-script to this discussion... Thanks for all the great input. I got back from up north yesterday. It was a fantastic trip, great weather and a lot of fishing for lakers, brookies and pike. For lakers, I tried trolling with the dipsy's and didn't have much luck (caught one tiny one), although as one poster pointed out, this was the less frustrating approach when the wind was blowing hard. When it was windy, jigging was just too difficult, even with a drift sock deployed, as we couldn't stay vertical for very long.

As many predicted, jigging yielded the bigger lakers when conditions permitted. We went to the narrows between islands where we know they hold in about 65 feet of water. Spent two evenings there, and both nights the bite consistently picked up at dusk, between 8 pm and 9 pm. I caught three good ones, all using a 1 oz white roundhead jig tipped with a plastic Gulp! emerald shiner minnow (real minnows are not allowed in that part of Quebec). I also found that using a stinger hook embedded into the tip of the minnow's tail was helpful for the short-striking lakers.

Here is a pic of my best one, a 5 lb'er / 22.5 inches. Nothing like the giant Slave lakers another guy posted about but they struck hard and put up a good fight. Three was a definite improvement on my previous laker fishing and I'm grateful to all who chimed in with helpful tips. Thanks!
Attachments
laker.jpg
laker.jpg (144.13 KiB) Viewed 2193 times
rex.stpierre
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rex.stpierre »

Well done! I really need to try jigging for lakers...
This year I spent most of my money on beer, women and fishing...the rest I wasted.
Dcaster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Dcaster »

Nice work, post more from your trip.
Great thread, can never be enough laker threads.

Cheers
CyrusG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CyrusG »

That's a beauty laker! I never like trolling unless i'm using light gear for stocked trout, but jigging lakers is the way to go!
Cy
flewdogg
Participant
Participant

Post by flewdogg »

Thanks guys. The lake I caught that one in is called Sault aux Cochons, it's a few hours north of Tadoussac, after you cross the Saguenay. Closest town is called Forestville. It's really remote, the kind of place where you have to have an ATV or at least a truck with high clearance. I'm heading back there in late September to do some partridge hunting (first time).

As per the request, here are a few more pics from my trip: the other two lakers I got plus one of the better pike (ate it - first time trying pike, very tasty). All these lakers were caught jigging, and white was definitely the colour for the jigs. The pike was caught with a perch coloured Husky Jerk (#12 I think).
Attachments
IMG_2469.JPG
IMG_2469.JPG (2.26 MiB) Viewed 2114 times
IMG_2492.JPG
IMG_2492.JPG (2.18 MiB) Viewed 2114 times
IMG_2484.JPG
IMG_2484.JPG (2.56 MiB) Viewed 2114 times