Skootamatta lake fishing

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Skootamatta lake fishing

Post by tbone1088 »

Hey boys,
can anyone tell me if there is a marina on skootamatta lake to rent a boat for the day? I have no trailer so going to another marina and bringing the boat down is not an option. If it does not, are there any lakes around with good fishing and marinas to boat for a day?
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Skootamatta lake fishing

Post by tbone1088 »

Well I did some research and it looks like there are no marinas on this lake. In fact it was hard to find any marinas in the area, just smarts marina on mazinaw lake. I would like to get a boat for a day, but have not had much luck on this lake, and from the people I have talked to this seems to be a common problem. Does anyone know this lake well and if they do is it worth it for me to rent a boat on it for fishing? Doesn't matter which species, I have gear for pretty much anything.
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

For starters, Mazinaw Lake is DEEP....450ft in its deepest spot in the upper portion. I believe the marina is in the lower portion of the lake......fish this section. You'll find smallmouth along shoreline structure. There are walleye and lake trout in there as well, but don't waste your time.......go for the smallies. If you can get your hands on a map of the lake, it will be a bonus. Good Luck! :)
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
Cyber
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Cyber »

There are only 2 commercial operations left on Skootamatta, one is called "Trimbles Cottages" and I believe
he does have small tinnies w/ 9.9 or 15 HP's on them for rent. I'm not familiar with the resort on the other
side of the lake, I believe it's called "Mohawk Lodge". Nice lake, a bit tough to fish, but not nearly as tough
as Mazinaw!! :shock: :shock: On Maz, unless you're out early, early morning or later in the evening it's like the
Queensway in rush hour!! :evil: :evil:
Last edited by Cyber on Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you don't stand for something,
you'll fall for anything!!
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Biggy cabbage pike in the Skoots. Good luck if you make it on.
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tbone1088 »

Wow I have heard the same thing from many people: Fish are in the lake and so are many boaters going after them! We are saving this trip for tuesday or wednesday hoping the traffic wont be as bad. We are on the water from 1 to 7 pm, and through alot of research have found gps spots for pike bass walleye and trout. Is the walleye and trout fishing worth attempting at all? We wont be heartbroken over no walleyes, but we REALLY want to land one trout just to say we did it. We will also have a canoe for the other small lakes if there are any good ones for trout please message me or post.