BC interior big lake fishing report

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
scuro
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

BC interior big lake fishing report

Post by scuro »

The trip had been hatched on the notion that it would have two parts. My mom was returning to Banff nearly 50 years later and I was to fish for a few days on what looked to be a promising BC lake.

...but Jasper Park was new to her and awe inspiring.

...from their we traveled into the BC interior where there are many large isolated lakes hardly fished.

Finally I got on to the lake I had been drooling about all winter. The landscape looked familiar but on a much grander scale.

I had fished bows back home in a body of water that would be nothing but a big creek here. The fishing was familiar...but as I was soon to find out, also on a much grander scale.

These are no ordinary Lakers shy of the light and of people.

This is fishing I could only qualify as "golden era" fishing, plentiful fish and apparently naive to the lure.

Nothing huge, bows into the low 20s.

...and lakers into the 30s.

What was impressive about this lake was the fish hit parade...steady fishing till 1pm.

You could pound a productive spot for the better part of a morning and it would produce run after run.

Then you would try something different and if it produced you would do the same.

Evenings were spent cruising with mom sometimes lightly fishing. No pressure to produce, that had been taken care of in the morning and the arms needed a rest.

A first for my 80 year old Mom, she let me plane the boat so that we could see more of the lake.

Day after day...

...the fish just kept coming.

My rule of thumb was if some spot wasn't on, move because the next one surely will.

Some spots I pounded to see if it would ever stop,...a smile on my face the whole time.

...and sometimes that spot had no more fish to cough up but mostly I went home when I got hungry.

Big healthy fish that one held on just a little big longer to admire.

You look a little closer...

..and see things like those silver threads.

...and just how much of a fatty some of em are.

A fish that back home would be something to brag about, well here they came in bunches. A 30 incher, a 29, and a 27 all on the same spot in an hour.

...the only fish I kept was for dinner and an accidential.

At night you go to sleep early because tomorrow you will fish this again! :twisted:

In the morning without fail it would start all over again.

My last moment fishing saw me on a shoal admiring a Laker purposefully cruising like sharks on the flat, in 10 ft of water, at 1pm, and swimming directly at the boat before it flicked off! :shock: Think I gotta do this again next year. :twisted:
Last edited by scuro on Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
...anything to bend the rod
CyrusG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Banff to Jasper to BC interior big lake fishing

Post by CyrusG »

Awesome report :shock: you took some great pictures, the trout fishery in BC is outstanding
Cy
NMG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Banff to Jasper to BC interior big lake fishing

Post by NMG »

Hey! Those sights are familiar :D
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: BC interior big lake fishing report

Post by Moosebunk »

Short but very, very sweet Chris. What an inspiring bunch of bright colored photos too.

Your mom doesn't look 80 at all. You get her genes and you'll be fishing that lake 30 more years at least. Think of that!!! :D
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Fantastic report and pics again.
Thanks for sharing
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

The scenery :o :o :o
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!