Silver pike in the Ottawa.

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
avidangler
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Silver pike in the Ottawa.

Post by avidangler »

I wasn't aware the Ottawa had them granted they're fairly rare. Has anyone else ever got in in the Ottawa?
silver.jpg
silver.jpg (362.41 KiB) Viewed 2131 times
Money can't buy you happiness but it can buy you fishing gear and that's kinda the same thing.
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Silver pike in the Ottawa.

Post by lapointeric »

I believe it's silver (or grey) because it's not very healthy. lol Look at it, It's basically skin and bones!

Kidding, no I think I've seen threads like this before and the most common answer is, it's your everyday pike, just with different colouring because of the water conditions. I've seen a ton of walleye, sauger that come from the Ottawa, that are super pale.

E
burns
Participant
Participant

Post by burns »

"Another form of northern pike, the silver pike, is not a subspecies but rather a mutation that occurs in scattered populations. Silver pike, sometimes called silver muskellunge, lack the rows of spots and appear silver, white, or silvery-blue in color."[3] from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_pike

I have caught one before on the Mississippi but they are very rare, I hope the link helped
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Yannick Loranger »

Yup, pretty common on the Ottawa.
Yannick Loranger
Owner and Head Guide
Ottawa River Guided Fishing
http://www.OttawaRiverFishing.ca
IgglesD
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by IgglesD »

Agreed, common on the OR.
rex.stpierre
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rex.stpierre »

I guess common is a relative term...I have caught many many pike off the Ottawa this year... I have never seen this before. Only on tv...
This year I spent most of my money on beer, women and fishing...the rest I wasted.