Looking for advice on catchin bigger bass.

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Looking for advice on catchin bigger bass.

Post by lape0019 »

Thanks Mav,

Your view is quite interesting. I view the Rideau as one big flat. There are a few places that hold more fish but I will definitely need to think outside of the box.
biggs
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by biggs »

I never fish the Rideau without these. I've been given the green light to get out tonight and will most likely be going around your part of the Rideau and these will be with me 100%.
I am a RI Skinny Dipper addict and they have probably been my most productive lure over the past 2yrs or so.

**EDIT** These will catch both small and large bass, not just bigger bass. Just a thought on something else to try in case you have never used them.

4 power rod (pretty sure you have 734), 40lbs braid and your set!
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Thanks Brad,

I have never fished a swim and I guess I should. Yet another item to buy.

I also sent you an email.'
Sourdough
Participant
Participant

Post by Sourdough »

I too share your struggle. This year I tried three way rigs for smallmouth, and I have had some success. Mostly 2.5lbs size fish, but I think the concept is good. On days with a little breeze I set up a 3 way rig so that the swivel is about 24 inches off the bottom, and the line on the horizontal svivel arm is about the same length. I use a black rattle sinker designed for walleye trolling, a circle hook, put the rod in a holder, and focus on moving slowly along weed edges and drop offs. I have a 12 ft tinnie so moderate waves create a jigging type action. I drift/troll slowly through/along weed edges and off drop offs. The rig is quite weedless and has worked with live bait and soft plastics.

Good luck on the water.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

I have never used a 3 way rig and actually like the concept but considering I barely dropshot. That is yet another technique I should use more often.

Regardless, I tried the frog and pitchin tonight for about an hour. Got a dink on the frog and this 3 pound 2 once bad boy off of a spinnerbait after I got restless and needed to catch a fish. She was a beauty to see!

Thanks again to Biggs for keeping me company. Sorry we didn't tie into too many but at least we weren't skunked! I will be hitting the water again in Wednesday to hopefully get something even bigger but that is easily my biggest fish of the year.

Adam
plowjock
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by plowjock »

Hi Adam
Don't feel too bad about not catching bigger fish.
Check any of the tournament results.
Bet you'll see more than 85% are in your category.
Was it this past winter which changed things?? Who knows?
Some bodies of water DO have bigger fish.Rideau used to, but it has changed.
White Lake clones. Mississippi still has the ODD big boy.
Bigger body of water, more bait, larger fish.
I think those muskies you catch on bigger baits are digesting your bass. hahaha.
Just keep trying. One day the mother of all ginormous bass will hit you.

Brian
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Thanks Brian,

I hear you regarding the size if fish this year and am thankful I tied into something decent last night. As much as I would live a nickel, I am happy with my first 3+ pounder of the year and hope there are more to come!

Quantity has not been an issue this year for me but quality sure has.
Adam
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tbone1088 »

I have found that the smallmouth tend to be bigger than the largemouth in the rideau usually! I shorefish though, and usually only around ottawa so it could be different where u are. More than lures and all that other stuff, the best advice I can give is fish the right TIME OF YEAR. Bass start fattening up in the fall and that is your best chance at a nickel. Sounds like you know the techniques, its just a matter of putting in the time to find them.
biggs
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by biggs »

lape0019 wrote:Thanks again to Biggs for keeping me company. Sorry we didn't tie into too many but at least we weren't skunked! I will be hitting the water again in Wednesday to hopefully get something even bigger but that is easily my biggest fish of the year.
Thanks again for the invite. It definitely was a nice break from everything going on at home.
I don't care about not getting into too many fish, just glad just to be out plus I did get a buzzjet fish! :D
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

Biggs, Adam's hasn't stopped talking about your swimbait, :lol:
He wasn't clear about wether he liked the smooth or ribbed ones better.. Do you use scent at all?
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Um what?

That's a farrr stretch dude...
Spence Scout
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Spence Scout »

Theres big fish deep...Theres big fish shalllow...
I truly believe its the angler and his strengths that find the right area and the right pattern to catch them. Sometimes waters like the Rideau that are fairly pressured can be tough. When this occurs I look for overlooked cover and or areas that could potentially hold fish. I honestly believe that a Hydrographic map alone can help you find and catch more fish. Every tool we have gets us closer to finding the mother load. I fished the the Rideau for the MS Bassin this past summer and punched every matt I saw in range. It was dink after dink. All our better bites came on isolated pad patches and open water. We had some great fish on and blow up on us. Poor execution that day. We would of probably won. Now when I say open water I dont mean just in the main channel. I mean in spots youd normally go to..Look at the cover...cast at the gaps, pockets, outside edge...thats what I mean..Its like the fish werent sitting in their typical ambush points most of us would pin point.
All im saying is dont over look anything...If you think your shallow, try shallower, if you think your deep, try deeper...Leave nothing unattended. Anglers who are narrow minded and stubborn often catch less. Those who are open minded continue to learn and adapt. Even if its outside your strengths, your not going to learn playing it safe all the time!
Those Skinny Dippers Biggs uses are perfect for what I was describing..the gaps, pockets, and edges...or parallel weed lines...with them..honestly though all my biggest LMB on Rideau have come 2ft or less.....

Kepp in mind every body of water is different..different conditions, water temps, current, clarity, etc etc etc.. each body of water is a new specimen we challenge ourselves to figure out!
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

Spence Scout wrote: Kepp in mind every body of water is different..different conditions, water temps, current, clarity, etc etc etc.. each body of water is a new specimen we challenge ourselves to figure out!
Thanks Spence, I'll be on the water for the next three days figuring out a different river, I'm determined and have made myself some key notes going in..
What to fish, as in structure and various techniques that have worked well for me in the past (confidence baits).

The issue I'm having is when you look at the map, where do you start?
In this case I'll be starting as far up river and work my way down. I was also thinking of cutting up the river into 3 parts, keeping the third part (Territory I already know) for last.

Deck will be full of rods and I'll mark everything I see and try to develop patterns.

Trying to find the fish I need in the process.
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Spence,

Awesome advise. In fact, the fish still seem to be in what you call open water.

I had never used a wakebait until this year either and have had a lot of success with it. The sizes were not great until this week and it just seems the fish are now putting their feed bags on.

I bought some skinny dippers last night and will probably throw them on Wednesday. I never thought they would work too well but with everyone having success, I figured it was worth a shot.
Spence Scout
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Spence Scout »

Lape.....forgot to mention you were asking about frog rods..earlier in thread...now im a frog enthusiast..in fact ive got 2 frog combos...one for docks and trees other one for slop...both are same rod...both are same reel....biggest mistake a lot of bass guys make is they go too stiff..like Heavy or extra heavy...unless its a frog specific series rod in heavy or extra heavy your barking up the wrong tree...I use the TWFR854C Gloomis frog specific.Its Heavy Fast action rod...however because its frog specific its got a much softer tip then your average worm and jig heavy fast action. This allows for more hookups on fish.
I myself used to buy the Shimano,St Croix, Quantum flipping or jig & worm series heavy action rods for frogs..Ive had Crucials, Cumaras, avids, tournaments, tour editions etc etc..and dont get me wrong i caught fish on all of them. But as soon as I put this Gloomis frog specific rod in my hands and used it...this rod loads so much differently..the fast tip allows that fish to suck the frog back a lot easier. Where as all those other rods I mentioned or Dobyns etc etc that arent frog specific youd rip the frog away from them..because the response times to quick...kind of like a crankbait idea...but much heavier...next time your in Paddletales or SAIL...pick that rod up and shake it..watch the tip bounce..or load it carefully on the ground and youll see exactly what im talking about...

This is one of my favorite combos in my arsenal...oh ya the reels a Chronarch 201E7......wide spool allows for long distance casting with 50lb powerpro braid...

ShawnD where you fishing?