Looking for advice on catchin bigger bass.

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Looking for advice on catchin bigger bass.

Post by lape0019 »

Hey guys,

I thought I would try starting this conversation. I am not sure how well this will go over but if you have any comments you would like to add, I think this may help myself as well as anyone else who is looking to catch bigger fish.

On a regular basis, I can catch fish in the 2.5 - 3.00 mark quite easily but anything over that 3.00 mark is almsst impossible. I have caught on or two that were probably close to 4 pounds but no nearly as many as I would like.

When you are out searching for but bass, what do you look for in structure? How deep? Any specific colors?

I should also mention 90% of my fishing is in 0 - 10 feet of water. I know this limits me but it is my comfort zone and pretty much cover all but the channel on the Rideau where I do 90% of my fishing.

I look forward and appreciate any responses I do get.

Thanks!

Adam Lapensee
cgates
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Looking for advice on catchin bigger bass.

Post by cgates »

You sound like your on the right path just keep at it. The Rideau has been harder fishing this summer I would look in the shalows and slop with a top water frog or punch the mats with a heavy weight 1-1.5oz and it wont take long to get a few more 4lbers but punching mats can be slow so don't look for numbers but look at the size of fish
Chris
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

I have an abundance of frogs in my box and use them on occasion. I guess I will have to try them out a little more. I have not really started punching at all. Can you provide any detailed as to what type of gear you use? I have 5 power Dobyns that ca hold that type of weight and the are 7'3 and 7'4. Are these long enough? Land is a heavy rated rod enough or should I be looking at extra heavy (6 power)?

I also realize that for the most part when you are targeting larger fish, you aren't going to catch as many as the large ones usually hold more ground to themselves. Is this true?

Thanks for the advice Chris!
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

lape0019 wrote:...I also realize that for the most part when you are targeting larger fish, you aren't going to catch as many as the large ones usually hold more ground to themselves. Is this true?
I agree this can be true for Largemouth but that is not my experience for Smallies...
SB are often grouped together by size, if you tie into a 4-5lb fish highly likely be more of similar size nearby, they pack hunt together esp while feeding on baitfish schools. Likewise if I am only catching smaller SB I relocate.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Good clarification OFT.

Most of my fishing consists if LMB. The SMB I target are usually in the fall and I have noticed this as well.
BradGuenette
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BradGuenette »

1.Buy some black 1/2&3/4oz flipping jigs and tie onto your 745
2.Leave every other rod on in your boat at home
3.Pitch heathly weed lines 8-15fow that are slime free
4.Dont give up
5.Proceed to catch 5 pounders
Brad Guenette
Swimbait Canada
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

Don't follow StarTzar or the Maverick
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Brad,

I do that a lot already. I guess just not deep enough.
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

CN wrote:Don't follow StarTzar or the Maverick

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

I'll be following this thread. I sure wood like to catch bigger Bass.
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

lape0019 wrote:Hey guys,

I thought I would try starting this conversation. I am not sure how well this will go over but if you have any comments you would like to add, I think this may help myself as well as anyone else who is looking to catch bigger fish.

On a regular basis, I can catch fish in the 2.5 - 3.00 mark quite easily but anything over that 3.00 mark is almsst impossible. I have caught on or two that were probably close to 4 pounds but no nearly as many as I would like.

When you are out searching for but bass, what do you look for in structure? How deep? Any specific colors?

I should also mention 90% of my fishing is in 0 - 10 feet of water. I know this limits me but it is my comfort zone and pretty much cover all but the channel on the Rideau where I do 90% of my fishing.

I look forward and appreciate any responses I do get.

Thanks!

Adam Lapensee
Try fishing other lakes and rivers.
How many four and five pounders are you wanting to catch?
How many weekend golfers get birdies every-time they play a round of golf. How about eagles or hole in one.

You can only get better by putting in the time and practice.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Frank,

You make do with what you've got. The Rideau is minutes from my doorstep and with it being easier on the family to fish during the week, it is hard to really want to go anywhere else. For the first time this year, I actually took the time to go out on St. Francis and I also usually spend a day or two on big Rideau and kilmarnok. It's not that I don't fish other waters, it's just that it is easier for me to fish the Rideau.

With that out of the way, I am asking for details on what to use/what type of structure to look for to try and cut down the learning curve.

How about the big bait = big fish thought process? Is there any truth to this? I have used larger top waters this year but other than muskies smashing them, I haven't seen any bigger bass than normal. I have tried 7" cut tail worms with no success although I have t given them much of a chance.
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

lape0019 wrote:Frank,

You make do with what you've got. The Rideau is minutes from my doorstep and with it being easier on the family to fish during the week, it is hard to really want to go anywhere else. For the first time this year, I actually took the time to go out on St. Francis and I also usually spend a day or two on big Rideau and kilmarnok. It's not that I don't fish other waters, it's just that it is easier for me to fish the Rideau.

With that out of the way, I am asking for details on what to use/what type of structure to look for to try and cut down the learning curve.

How about the big bait = big fish thought process? Is there any truth to this? I have used larger top waters this year but other than muskies smashing them, I haven't seen any bigger bass than normal. I have tried 7" cut tail worms with no success although I have t given them much of a chance.
Ahhhhhh yes ... I keep forgetting that we are in the same boat when it comes to finding the time to fish.
I know the feeling all too well.

If you are catching 2.5 - 3 lbs on a regular basis on the Rideau, I would think that this is great.
If you look at the published data on the tournament sites that post results, you will find that 5lbs bass are not a common occurrence for that body of water, with the 4 -4.5 lbs range being contender for Biggest Bass.
As for the big bait = big fish theory, I think that there may be some truth to that.

With that being said, I've caught some very big bass with crank baits, 7 inch worms, 3'' tubes, heavy jigs (& pig), buzz baits, spinner baits and most recently jerk baits and lipless crank baits.
I also remember that most of the big basses (over 4.5 lbs) that I caught, were along weed edges, or right next to some type of structure. I prefer to target weed edges in the 5 to 12 foot range because that is where I get the best results.

We'll search for weed edges that looks healthy and will fish them from top to bottom until we turn blue in the face.
We don't move away if we catch pike or little basses.
We figure that if there are some pike and little basses that the big basses are close by.
We will stay a long long long long time on a spot that we think should be holding Bass.
Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.
We look for another edge and repeat the process.
Seaweed
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Seaweed »

My two cents on this would be ....

Flip big baits
Frogs Frogs Frogs ... missed the frog use a follow up bait like a senko
Early Morn and Late Evening - Even better night
Avoid boat traffic totally... utter frustration will throw you off your game totally
Submerged wood
as a last result avoid the Rideau and master flipping somewhere else then Rinse and Repeat on the Rideau
Ironically though I learned to flip on the Rideau... go figure.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Thanks Seaweed,

I am beginning to think that it may be that I am just putting the flippin stick down too quickly if I am not catching anything. I will typically go through all of my combos until I find something that is working. I am heading out on Wednesday night and will try only using my setups for frogs and jigs with the tube rod on deck in case I miss a strike.

I know my numbers will be down buy I think I am going to start going for quality over quantity.

If anyone else has something to add, please feel free.

Adam
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

Adam,

IMO it’s not so much lure size but rather understanding the river system. ( they catch 6 pounders drop shot’ing Hammer shads!)
I personally hate fishing rivers due to the fact that so many factors come into play.
Bait fish tend to move a lot more, water levels fluctuate, current, weed growth….and with the Rideau specifically, the amount of traffic constantly disrupts the bottom.

I haven’t fished the Rideau enough to give you specifics, but here are a few pointers I’d consider looking for if I was to get out and fish the Rideau.

Current breaks, we’ve always caught descent fish on points were the current tends to break.
Flats with deeper water within proximity, morning time being the best as they move up the water column to feed.
If pin pointing isolated structure, approach that area from a greater distance.
Ease up on the trolling motor, that’s one thing I have a hard time doing lol
Finding a pattern is key and will allow you to eliminate lots of water.
Stepping away from the comfort zone, changing it up and thinking outside the box. (Wake baits, buzzbaits, cranks, horny toads).

Labor day is coming up….The Rideau is a challenge I’d like to take on!
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!