Urban Shore Fishing

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Supernova224
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Urban Shore Fishing

Post by Supernova224 »

Hey Guys,

I'm brand new here and I have to admit, I've been lurking in the forums here this summer and I cannot thank the regular posters enough for all the great advice that's posted regularly. So for my first post, I'm going to ask for some more :) This is really my first year fishing. I grew up doing a little bit of fishing every summer but this is the first year that I've truly dedicated a bunch of time to fishing. My questions is, without giving up valuable fishing locales, can anybody point me in the direction of some good shore fishing locations in the downtown Ottawa area? I live in the Glebe and I've walked to the canal and to the Rideau behind St. Paul's University, but aside from a few small bass haven't had much action. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Set-The-Hook
Participant
Participant

Re: Urban Shore Fishing

Post by Set-The-Hook »

Check out by/under/around the Pretoria bridge on the canal on the west side. I have caught good sized bass just dropping a white jig right down beside the wall just North of the bridge.
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught!
MichaelGA
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MichaelGA »

Here is a thread to discuss

http://www.fish-hawk.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=44780

Here is the "Urban Core" map https://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msa=0&ms ... dg=feature

Here is a bigger one with a bit more information (baitshops, launches, travel times, pictures etc.) it is a bit more focused on the west side but I'd gladly add more information to the east.
https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit? ... 7olwpLxdXI
Supernova224
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Supernova224 »

That's great, thanks for the tip and Michael that map is definitely useful. I've had luck outside of the city, but not so much downtown. Hope to check out a few more spots though.
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

Supernova224 wrote:Hey Guys,

I'm brand new here and I have to admit, I've been lurking in the forums here this summer and I cannot thank the regular posters enough for all the great advice that's posted regularly. So for my first post, I'm going to ask for some more :) This is really my first year fishing. I grew up doing a little bit of fishing every summer but this is the first year that I've truly dedicated a bunch of time to fishing. My questions is, without giving up valuable fishing locales, can anybody point me in the direction of some good shore fishing locations in the downtown Ottawa area? I live in the Glebe and I've walked to the canal and to the Rideau behind St. Paul's University, but aside from a few small bass haven't had much action. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
I used to fish behind St-Pauls fairly often on my lunch breaks. I used to catch quite a few Bronzies on top water all the way over to where Main crosses the Rideau and down to the Transitway and all points between.

Supposed to be Musky in there too!

Craig
tserra12
Participant
Participant

Post by tserra12 »

Yup exactly what cprince said, that's a great stretch in between main and the transit way. I've raised 3 muskies 30" plus and even had smallies eat my chrome shallow raider as well as pike! Great stretch for a kayak/canoe
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tbone1088 »

Congratulations on your first post it took way too long!!! As far as spots go... how much time do you have??? lol:) Your in the heart of fishing town buddy, glebe is a fabulous area to get out and wet a line. Your very close to dows lake which has big musky and largemouth. Like others have posted, that whole stretch of canal is very good for bass action, muskies tend to stay closer to the lake if your targeting them. Your also very close to the rideau river: carleton university, billings bridge, hogs back falls are all a short car or bus ride away from you. Some of the funnest trips I have had where when I would bike from my house downtown and follow the canal from confederation park ALL the way to dow's lake and back, lots of fish and scenery too keep you interested. Please post with your results if you go love to hear from fellow shore fisherman!!!
Supernova224
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Supernova224 »

Wow, thanks so much guys, I've fished the Rideau behind St. Paul's a few times in the last couple weeks with no luck, but I will persevere based on your advice. And I think I'll expand on the canal too, I caught some nice bass there in the spring, but not so much since . I think it's likely it's the fisherman and not the locations :) but there's a ton to learn and I'm enjoying it a lot. I will hopefully post some results soon - I don't have a ton of time tbone, but I get out whenever I can!