Practicing for the Tourney last night

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
daveh_cdn
Participant
Participant

Practicing for the Tourney last night

Post by daveh_cdn »

Went out last night on the Rideau by my house in New Edinburgh and caught this guy.

I was rushing to take a photograph and I look like a troll (but at least the fish looks good).

I was practing getting the photos I'll need for the tourney so I snapped this one, and I was going to snap a second photo next to the tape measure but the fish was flopping around too much I couldn't just lay him down on the ground or anything. I put the tape in my hand I was holding him with at the mouth and quickly looked down and it seemed to be around 16" (it looks small in the photo). Its the biggest bass I've caught.

So help me out here with some questions guys:

1) I was told to hold a bass in the lower jaw with my thumb, but I had to squeeze the jaw pretty tight and when he would flop around I almost dropped him a couple times. During the release he did actually flop and I dropped him into the water ( he was fine). Is there a little technique to this grip that I'm missing?

2) how is he gonna stay still enough to get a good measurement laying down on the tape?

3) am I rushing too much? It seems like I've got him out of the water too long, I gotta grab him outta the net, take the hook out, walk over, fire up my phone and take a pic (dunno how I'll be able to display my forum name, but whatever), get the measuring tape out and take a measure. How long is too long to keep this guy outta the water? It would go faster with a partner but the wife had pilates class last night :)
Attachments
20140827_181306_1.jpg
20140827_181306_1.jpg (388.93 KiB) Viewed 2147 times
MichaelVandenberg
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Practicing for the Tourney last night

Post by MichaelVandenberg »

daveh_cdn,

You need to have a firm grip between your thumb and fore finger when holding a bass. Supporting their belly will also help to minimize the bass flopping and gives you a second hand to control the fish.

Some fish will cooperate and be still long enough to get a good picture, weigh them or measure them. There is no real trick but if a fish is flopping around, it does indicate a healthy fish but if you keep them out of the water too long they actually will start flopping more as they are struggling to breath.

In terms of keeping the fish out of water, the longer you do the higher the chance the fish will not survive. When you are out fishing, try and have everything handy. Before making a cast, extended the handle on the net and have it ready, put the pliers & measuring tape on the floor beside where you are fishing and have you camera safely near by. This way, when you boat the next fish you are not searching for anything.

Lastly, here is a good picture from http://www.Bassmaster.com explaining how to hold or specifically not hold a bass.

TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

Great tips Mike!
With that being said, I find a measuring board to be user friendly as opposed to a measuring tape.
You can also lay your fish next to your rod and use the butt end to get a measurement later, as long as it doesn’t start flopping everywhere on the ground, laying the fish down won’t harm it.

I’m thinking we shouldn’t stress the details in regards to this Tourney, take your time (within reasonable limit) and enjoy the moment!

Great Football btw! The competition will be fierce!
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
daveh_cdn
Participant
Participant

Post by daveh_cdn »

Judging from my grip I seem to be holding him OK.

I was thinking that I could notch / mark a scale into the handle of my wood net, that way it's always around.
daveh_cdn
Participant
Participant

Post by daveh_cdn »

If he was around 16" how much you guys figure he weighted?
jona38
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jona38 »

daveh_cdn wrote:If he was around 16" how much you guys figure he weighted?
Around 2.5lbs.
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

My Tip would be to have the measuring tape down, taped to the carpet, with your name and the secret number. Keep trying.
Nice bass.
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

I would say 2-2.5lbs which is good for sure. As for the tourney and measurements I do need a picture of them with the measurement and id code in it but do your best Dave. If you tell me it is 16" and the pic shows close to it I will use the 16". Not the easiest to do and fish mortality is very important so a quick pic is great.

Cheers and get ready for the real thing soon.
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

Do cross-eyed bass count?

Can't be a troll without a bridge to be under.

Craig