Ramp etiquette

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
gatekeeper
Participant
Participant

Ramp etiquette

Post by gatekeeper »

Here I go "Beating a Dead Horse" as this subject has probably been posted many many times,but.......Yesterday at local municipal ramp I met the owner of the ramp.At least I figure he was owner as he parked his outfit in middle of it and then proceeded to get his stuff ready! My B/in/L and his G/Son were ready to put boat on trailer(we have it down to 2 minutes or less from start of vehicle and outfit out and away from ramp BEFORE we store our gear after years of practice),but had to wait for this bozo and his mate.PLEASE,PLEASE people ALWAYS treat ramp as if it's the busiest time of year for launching and prepare your outfit AWAY from launch then proceed. We who have managed over years to master this are willing to wait while you back in even in a serpentine way and have to take few tries,BECAUSE you respected the "Ramp Etiquette".Here endith my Rant.
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Ramp etiquette

Post by almontefisher »

Here here gatekeeper. Just for you I will attempt a serpentine launch later this morning. Now are you able to laugh at guy backing boat in or not. Lol. I always prep before and after away from ramp. Why would you want to do it at the ramp. If mooned around I do but if other people are launching as well I get ready off to the side
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

The best is the Masson launch on a busy day.. :lol:
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

The Masson Launch is unbeleivable ... :shock:
the things that go through my mind when I observe some of these ramp squatters can not be written here. :shock:
When I come accross some of those Bozos, I tend to keep quiet. :|
I simply observe and let myself be amazed at the level of "moronity" that some people have attained. :?
One day I will probably let loose and tell them (with very explicit language) to move away ... :twisted:
Or I may elect to tell them with the best sarcasm I could come up with, which would probably go completetely over their heads. :mrgreen:
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

A video is always fun to look at. There is a page on Facebook called Ottawa Bad Parking with tons of bad parking jobs pictures , maybe we should start a Bad Launch page.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
Mick
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mick »

best I have seen in a while was this dude earlier this summer at Mississippi lake town launch. Dual launch pads for those that don't know.

He has this big honking boat that immediately has you thinking "WTF are you doing launching that in Mississippi Lake". Anyway, I get to the launch at the end of my day and he is just backing in. He parks, gets out and starts prepping his boat. And he clearly doesn't know what he is doing all that well. While watching him I waited for this other guy to get his boat on his trailer. With that guy gone, my buddy backs in and I get my boat on my trailer. We pull my boat out of the water, park on the side of the road, I get the tarp on, my buddies gear out, the straps on and the transform saver hooked up. I'm giving it the once over making sure everything is good before the drive home and this other moron is still there taking up the space at the launch and still doesn't appear to be imminently ready to put his boat in!! :shock:
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

I always tell them. I point to the prep or parking area and say....that is where you get your boat ready to launch and this is where you launch it okay. Makes this a lot easier for everyone plus I feel better having told them than stewing about wishing I had of told them :lol: . The ones I like best are the guys who get right in the water up to the waist. I like to say...hey there's a snake there. :lol:
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

StarTzar wrote:The Masson Launch is unbeleivable ... :shock:
With the amount of people that use it.. They really need to put some money into that ramp, make the parking lot bigger and at least 3 bays for the ramp. ;) Courtesy dock? :lol: :lol: Like that's going to happen..
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

Go to Morrisburg on any holiday weekend. Bring a chair, refreshments and watch in amazement at the follies.
CrazyUncleGary
Participant
Participant

Post by CrazyUncleGary »

I'm just learning this whole boating thing but that was the first thing I tried to educated myself about was ramp Etiquette.

Last week at Mississippi lake there was a family of three parked on the dock with their lawn chairs and cooler fishing completely blocking one whole dock. One boat is moored up on one side with the guy hanging onto the dock waiting for the trailer to be brought up. The other dock has two boats already at it and me and two other boats are waiting for a spot. It's a long walk to the end of the road parking up by the school to get my rig. So instead of me being able to tie up and bring my trailer up to get right in after the other guys pulls out I'm stuck waiting. lady says to me are we in the way? I said to her, ma'am the boaters have to pay to use the docs they are for boat use you could've easily set your lawn chairs on the lawn and fished from there. She didn't move. After I pull out another boat came in and made them pull in their lines they moved and I thought good they figured it out. Nope they just moved all their stuff over onto the other dock and blocked it.

You would think the town would put up a sign about blocking the docks.
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

CrazyUncleGary wrote:I said to her, ma'am the boaters have to pay to use the docs they are for boat use you could've easily set your lawn chairs on the lawn and fished from there. She didn't move. After I pull out another boat came in and made them pull in their lines they moved and I thought good they figured it out. Nope they just moved all their stuff over onto the other dock and blocked it.

You would think the town would put up a sign about blocking the docks.
Ron white says it best ...

You can't fix stupid.
There is not a pill you can take,
there is not a class you can go to,
Stupid is forever.
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Boat ramps should have web cams set up on em so I can watch them instead of the garbage on TV, Pure entertainment.

I had a moment a few weeks ago that could be the highlight of my summer. This family was near the boat ramp when I was coming in to trailer my boat. The Dad approached me about a boat ride. Their first ever time in a boat. If I had a dollar for every time one of them thanked me afterwards I'd have taken the week off. Truly some of the funniest moments ever in my boat that can only be told in person... :lol:

It's not all bad at ramps, you never know who you'll bump into.

RJ
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

Don't ever try and figure out Boat Launch Lizards.......They fall in to the ( Mysteries of the Unexplained ) catergory ! :confusion-confused:
There will be an influx of Great Grey Owls in the winter of 2017
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

Bass Addict wrote:Don't ever try and figure out Boat Launch Lizards.......They fall in to the ( Mysteries of the Unexplained ) catergory ! :confusion-confused:

There it is BOAT LAUNCH LIZARDS!