Akwesasne fishing permit?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
chong
Participant
Participant

Akwesasne fishing permit?

Post by chong »

I would like to know where i can get the fishing permit and how much it is? Can I buy it online?

Does anyone have a map of the water bounderies of the reserve?

i'll be launching from the Cornwall ramp.

Thanks
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Akwesasne fishing permit?

Post by lape0019 »

If I remember correctly, it is $10.00 and you can only buy them on the reserve.

Worst case scenario, bring cash with you on the boat. If you are fishing in their waters, they will be sure to come ask you and they will sell you one from what I have heard.
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

lape0019 wrote:If I remember correctly, it is $10.00 and you can only buy them on the reserve.

Worst case scenario, bring cash with you on the boat. If you are fishing in their waters, they will be sure to come ask you and they will sell you one from what I have heard.
$10.00 is correct. Cash only. (make's you wonder where the money goes). :shock:
We purchased ours at the Marina 200.
You can launch and drop by the Marina. (Cash only there also). 8)
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
Spence Scout
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Spence Scout »

Marina 2000 or a few other Marinas on the Lancaster side I believe..Its $10 ......Ive alwas had one when Ive fished there however I heard rumours last season that you should have a US awkwasasne as well as a CDN awkwasasne fishing permit....The boundaries on a map will show you the boundaries...All the islands that have "IR" on them are considered awkwasasne land...
chong
Participant
Participant

Post by chong »

I heard there ia a 3/day permit for 5$,the 10$
one if for the year.

Does the boundries include open waters?
pasquini
Participant
Participant

Post by pasquini »

So exactly what is area of jurisdiction for a Akwesasne CO. The Chanel between Cornwall Island and the Ontario mainland is pretty narrow. Is it halfway or something else?

Anybody know where I can find the Akwesasne fishing regs?
2010 Princecraft 182 Sport
Mercury 115hp 4-S
Spence Scout
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Spence Scout »

That island in front of Cornwall launch is Awkwasasne land..they have Pow Wows there all the time..So its not halfway...I believe as soon as you pass one of the islands that says IR on it your venturing into Awkwa water..
pasquini
Participant
Participant

Post by pasquini »

Spence Scout wrote:That island in front of Cornwall launch is Awkwasasne land..they have Pow Wows there all the time..So its not halfway...I believe as soon as you pass one of the islands that says IR on it your venturing into Awkwa water..
I live in the area and I know were Cornwall Island is. Are you implying that the entire St Lawtence Seaway is in aboriginal territorial waters? While trying to find some answers I found a Letter to the Editor for the Cornwall Standard-Freeholder in which the writer quotes a response from MNR that leads me to believe that unless you are fishing next to the shoreline of the island the Alwesasne COs have no jurisdiction.

Also note the comment that when they were stopped the Akwesasne CO claimed jurisdiction from the Quebec border all the way to Gananoque. That's a big piece of water.

Here is the link to the letter. http://www.standard-freeholder.com/2010 ... ers-beware
2010 Princecraft 182 Sport
Mercury 115hp 4-S
LouisD33
Participant
Participant

Post by LouisD33 »

You can buy them at the fence depot I was told.
For 10 bucks its a small price to pay to not be harassed.
Not saying that I agree with it but its only 10 bucks.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

I beleive their jurisdiction is only around islands owned by the tribe. If fishing in the main waters of the st. Lawrence, the only people I would be listening to are the CO's with the MNR.
Spence Scout
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Spence Scout »

Pasquini- Im not impying its all aboriginal water...I was stating that the island was tribe territory ...Ive done a lot of fishing in and around those islands and back tribs and Ive only once had a Tribe CO pull me over...and it was someone I knew..we just chatted for a bit and I showed him my papers.....