First time on Mississippi lake

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

First time on Mississippi lake

Post by Lvace »

Today I fished Mississippi lake for the first time ..... the wind was still kind of strong! Launched in town and went for a quick fish and since I have never been on this body of water I was going at it blind.... should of done some map research but exploring was fun to !!! Headed towards some tall grass growing out of the water and found a nice bay ish place tried a few things and since this virtual tournament is live I was hopping for some bass! but found tons of pike all on spinners so I just went with the flow :D No real monsters but good fighters and the day finished with this decent Mississippi lake pike

I am sure there are bigger in there and look forward to going back a lot more often!!

Tight lines!
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: First time on Mississippi lake

Post by StarTzar »

That is one species that the Mississippi has a lot of.
We are probably going out on the Mississippi the weekend of Sept 20th
We'll be happy to give you a tour and show you some areas where you can catch some Bass.
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

Well next time you go out lvace let me know. I'll give ya a few spots to try. As for snot rockets the lake is full of them and there are some 6-10lbers in there.
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

Nice! I love Mississippi
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

When you say spinners do you mean in-line spinners (Mepps?) or do you mean spinnerbaits? If you throw in-lines expect tons of pike.

By going to the rice you wre in the right place you should be tossing frogs or flipping jigs.

Was on the Miss on friday. we only got 2 pike. I also got a very small wally on a drop shot. All bass were caught with eother a bbbys perferct frog (black) or spro bronzeye (white). They wouldn't touch a swamp donkey (black with chartreuse head). At the end of the day we went to some humps and threw a drop shot, caught largies on it.
CyrusG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CyrusG »

nice job bud! I've caught some slab gils and walleye through the ice there, it's one of my favorite lakes to ice fish. I haven't fished it in a boat yet but i heard it can get rough on a windy day
Cy
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Oneeleven »

I think that one is even bigger than the one from the Rideau the other weekend! :shock:
Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Lvace »

CN wrote:When you say spinners do you mean in-line spinners (Mepps?) or do you mean spinnerbaits? If you throw in-lines expect tons of pike.

By going to the rice you wre in the right place you should be tossing frogs or flipping jigs.

Was on the Miss on friday. we only got 2 pike. I also got a very small wally on a drop shot. All bass were caught with eother a bbbys perferct frog (black) or spro bronzeye (white). They wouldn't touch a swamp donkey (black with chartreuse head). At the end of the day we went to some humps and threw a drop shot, caught largies on it.
Spinnerbaits as I left all my in-line in my musky box....thought about them after I left..... Looking on a map i was in Kinch Bay.
almontefisher wrote:Well next time you go out lvace let me know. I'll give ya a few spots to try. As for snot rockets the lake is full of them and there are some 6-10lbers in there.
Thanks !!!!! :D
StarTzar wrote:That is one species that the Mississippi has a lot of.
We'll be happy to give you a tour and show you some areas where you can catch some Bass.
Might have my daughter that weekend but I will see what I can do and I might just take you up on that.... 8) Also getting my new reel soon but still torn on which one do I go Tatula or do I go revo or do I go Chronarch hhhhmmmmm decisions..... its going on my crucial worm and jig....
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

lvace wrote:
Might have my daughter that weekend but I will see what I can do and I might just take you up on that.... 8) Also getting my new reel soon but still torn on which one do I go Tatula or do I go revo or do I go Chronarch hhhhmmmmm decisions..... its going on my crucial worm and jig....
We are trying to get out there for the 20th ... it's not a guarantee.
Spending time with your daughter is more important.
There will be other opportunities when we can take you out.
As for the reels, all 3 are excellent. Can't go wrong with any of them.
Not an easy choice to make. Go with what you can afford.
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Good fishin!

Are you going to the Rideau tomorrow to fish with the boys? I can lend you a Chronarch to try for the night if you'd like. Just say the word.

RJ
CyrusG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CyrusG »

I have a cronarch / crucial worm & jig combo and it's my most used bait caster. I haven't tried tatula or revo but you won't be disappointed if you get a chronarch.
Cy
Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Lvace »

RJ wrote:Good fishin!

Are you going to the Rideau tomorrow to fish with the boys? I can lend you a Chronarch to try for the night if you'd like. Just say the word.

RJ
Thanks RJ but I have my daughters swimming lessons tomorrow. But I may take you at a later time :D
StarTzar wrote:
lvace wrote:
We are trying to get out there for the 20th ... it's not a guarantee.
Spending time with your daughter is more important.
There will be other opportunities when we can take you out.
As for the reels, all 3 are excellent. Can't go wrong with any of them.
Not an easy choice to make. Go with what you can afford.
Fully agree and since I have primary on her I get lots of it :) let me know if you guys do and I will go from there!