Here Kitty Kitty and some Bassin'...

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Here Kitty Kitty and some Bassin'...

Post by RJ »

Who doesn't like catching fish after fish to the point that your arms get sore?

The Ottawa River is a Catfish factory. I was told awhile back that 70% of the biomass of the river is Cats. That's crazy, but I'm not surprised.

Chevy filled Birdee and I in on a Catfish tourney on the river and we jumped at it. Really fun day overall. Birdee took a tumble playing fastball a few days before so she was the One-Armed Cat slayer.

We ended up in second place to.....Chevy! Him and Mickey took home the title.

More pics of the day including our disgusting bait details are here: http://www.rjnbirdeesoutdooradventures. ... cat-tamer/

A few days later I been booked for a Father/Son day to fish for whatever. Dad didn't care just wanted his son to experience his first fishing trip ever and needed him to catch a few fish. Perfect.

I will be 100% creating a "Get Hooked on Fishing" guided package next year for folks new to fishing or for those that just want to wail on some fish for a few hours, it will be a bit reduced rate than my normal days fee as well...it's easy fishing and loads of fun.

Haven't done a pile of Bass fishing this summer myself until the last few weeks. MSBassin is always a hit with Birdee and I. Congrats to Matt and his awesome crew for another stellar fundraising event. We will never miss it.

We did ok finishing 9th.

Chevy and I hopped out on the Larry for an afternoon one day, steady deep water Smallie action.

Snuck out on Lake Ontario for some Smallies one day....it should be called Lake Awesome. Wailed em with my buddies Brandun and Rob.

Full report from the day and an awesome bonus fish is here: http://www.rjnbirdeesoutdooradventures. ... e-awesome/

Lastly we just got back from a week cottaging on a local lake. It was the first time we've ever rented a cottage for a week and after the week we had it will be a yearly deal. Boated loads of fish, spent some quality time with the family and recharged the batteries after a long stretch of working and guiding that had reached nearly 2 months straight.

Two highlight fish for me on the week were two Largies, one caught under a dock in 2 feet of water on a Cover Craw and the other on a dropshotted Glossy Shad in 16 FOW....

Summer is toast at this point. The BEST time of year is beginning...... :wink:

RJ
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Here Kitty Kitty and some Bassin'...

Post by zippyfx »

Some of here have been touting the fun in going out for cats. Nice to hear that there are still dome catfish tourneys going on up here.

Some of those cats look like they are a good size.... What was the biggest one?

My personal experience from shore on the Ottawa indicates that the median catfish is in the 3-4 lb range; the above average ones come in at 5-8lbs and the large ones (few and far between from shore) 9+ lbs being rare. Results are skewed by bait size and type (for example worms and small minnows will give you more but smaller cats). I've heard tell of the occasional 20 lb'r on the Ottawa but they seem yo be few and far between.

The big ones in Ontario are apparently in dunville.

glad you had fun!
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Sure are some dandy fish there RJ. Those Lake Ontario Smallies are awesome. Goes to show that big water equals big fish on average. How light of an outfit were you using? That must have been real fun.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

Nice report!
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
CyrusG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CyrusG »

Good stuff, as much as i like fishing for bass and walleye i spend some of my days targeting big cats, the Ottawa is full of them and they aren't too picky with bait its a great way to get kids into fishing.
Cy
Dcaster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Dcaster »

Super sweet report ( as always)!

Thanks for sharing.

:handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:
Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Lvace »

very very very NICE!! :D
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

zippyfx wrote: Some of those cats look like they are a good size.... What was the biggest one?

The big ones in Ontario are apparently in dunville.
Biggest one was probably 7 lbs ish.

We were lucky enough to hit the Grand River for cats. What a freakin blast this was.

smitty55 wrote: How light of an outfit were you using? That must have been real fun.
It's loads of fun! Drop shot setups are pretty standard with 6 or 8 lb Fluro. The rod is a medium action 7'2" (Shimano Cumara).

RJ
baz fish
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by baz fish »

Great report RJ.