Drop-shotting: Two techniques, one outcome (SUCCESS)

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Wally
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Drop-shotting: Two techniques, one outcome (SUCCESS)

Post by Wally »

Rj,do u used strickly florocarbon line or that s your leader how long . What s a spline may ask.
Wally
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Wally »

Rj,do u used strickly florocarbon line or that s your leader how long . What s a pline may ask.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Yes Wally, straight fluro. Braid will open those downshot hooks on hookset. When I set the hook it's a simple lift and they're done.

PLine is a brand.

Don't know who the chick is but.... :D

RJ
Duper
Participant
Participant

Post by Duper »

I've had a lot of success drop shotting over the past 2 years. Mostly in 20+' of water. Earlier this year I started to replace the drop shot weight with a tube jig and have seen a major increase in fish caught as about 50% of my hook-ups are on the tube. I have caught both bass species as well as walleye and Pike including a 10lbs+ pike this year using this tandem. I usually get caught on bottom once per trip but have gone unscathed my last couple trips to the St. Lawrence. I go a bit heavier than some of the other posters but have had success. I use 15lbs Maxima PP Super Slick 8 mainline and 12lbs Trilene 100% fleurocarbon as a leader, a #2 octopus hook (forget which brand), depending on the body of water a 5/8 tube jig head (I've actually been using a 3/4 jig head on the St. Lawrence lately in 30-60' on the drift, I don't own a trolling motor to slow me down). Not as light or sensitive a rig as most others but have caught lots of fish and good sizes too.
daveh_cdn
Participant
Participant

Post by daveh_cdn »

I tried rigging a drop shot yesterday for bass but I can't really understand the presentation.

I was fishing off the end of a dock into a river. I put the dropshot weight about 20" down from a gamakatsu drop-shot hook with a senko nose-hooked. I also tried with a "mister twister" nose hooked - both had no bites.

I drop the rig into the water and wait until I feel the sinker on the bottom. Then I just sit there... ocassionally I would jig the rig and pull the sinker off the bottom and drop it again. In this situation I just don't really see my worm looking tasty down there. Should I reserve this for faster moving water where the current will keep the worm horizontal?
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tbone1088 »

more than likely dave the fish just weren't at the dock you were fishing. Dropshotting works great from shore, mostly because you can target a good looking spot and keep the bait in the strike zone all the time. As with anything you have to match your gear to the conditions. Smaller baits for clearer, colder water and I like to go heavy with the sinker if your bank fishing so you can cast farther. A great trick I learned with artificials is to just JIGGLE the rod tip when your rig is on bottom. What your trying to do is shake the bait in place while your sinker stays stationary. Lastly if your casting from shore, you want to cast STRAIGHT OUT AHEAD OF YOU! Let the rig fall, jiggle it for a bit then POP the rig straight up and reel in a couple cranks, its amazing how few snags you get when you follow this advice.
daveh_cdn
Participant
Participant

Post by daveh_cdn »

Thanks for the advice.