rod building classes??

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
biggs
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

rod building classes??

Post by biggs »

I remember a while back there was a fly-fishing shop that used to offer rod building classes (I think I remember that! :D ), I was wondering if anyone knew of any classes in the area?? I am thinking not but I would love to build my own rods one day and rather than attempt it on my own, a little guidance through someone experienced in a class or two or three for the first rod would help a lot.

Maybe I'll just have to order a cheap starter kit but I'm not sure if that's the way to go or not.

**EDIT** Not looking to build fly rods, spinning and casting for me but mostly casting.
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: rod building classes??

Post by StarTzar »

biggs wrote:I remember a while back there was a fly-fishing shop that used to offer rod building classes (I think I remember that! :D ), I was wondering if anyone knew of any classes in the area?? I am thinking not but I would love to build my own rods one day and rather than attempt it on my own, a little guidance through someone experienced in a class or two or three for the first rod would help a lot.

Maybe I'll just have to order a cheap starter kit but I'm not sure if that's the way to go or not.

**EDIT** Not looking to build fly rods, spinning and casting for me but mostly casting.
I'm sure that you could get all kinds of information and guidance on line.
I would order a kit and go at it. How much $$$ are we talking about here?
How much $$$ for tools?
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

I do not know of any classes around here but go look at mudhole.com. I thought about doing this as well as a winter project but it never happened.

This website will allow you to see what a starter kit as well as toold would cost. I beleibe they also have DVD's.
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

I have built quite a few rods and this site is very good.

http://www.flexcoat.com/learning-center ... documents/
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

This sounds like a nice winter project... Those kits almost make it seem manageable.

Does any nod carry rod building supplied locally?
Maple
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Maple »

Kits are the way to go for starters. Lots of instructions on line as well.

A problem is that you (they) can't ship glue, flex coat or similar "dangerous" substances from the USA as part of a kit.

Try this pace in BC.

http://www.rodbuildersupplies.com