How many lures do you lose? Honestly...

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
campnfish
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

How many lures do you lose? Honestly...

Post by campnfish »

I loose lots of lures when I fish. Not on purpose.

Just wondering, what is the general consensus out there - you guys lose lures all the time too?

I normally bass fish with a spinner tipped with a senko, or just a senko, so I don't lose too much sleep when I get snagged and have to snap the line. But I see some guys with expensive, colorful hardbaits that I KNOW cost you $10-$15 a pop - gotta suck to lose one of the those.

Say you're out fishing for the day, how many lures do you leave snagged in rocks and on logs for the fishing gods?

3 or 4 would not be uncommon for me.
River Monster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: How many lures do you lose? Honestly...

Post by River Monster »

I usually end up losing a couple frogs a year, probably because i'm to lazy to re-tie my knot or from a pike or musky

I've lost easily 1/2 dozen jigs to pike or musky.

Some lures eventually just get so beaten up they need to be replaced

If i feel i can get away with using a leader, I'll try to use one. I have come across some micro titanium leaders, but they are hard to find.

I fish the Rideau mostly. And in that river anything can be at the end of you line. I've caught a snapping turtle on a frog, seen musky caught on 4" senko's and walleye in 3ft of water in the middle of the day. and bass on big musky lures.

At the end of the year I figure I lose between $150-$250 in baits and terminal tackle. depending on how much I get out and get bit. I easily go through 150+ soft plastics a year
- Rick Ozga
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

I have lost quite a few megabass 110's over the years and it does hurt a little. I remember the first one I bought sat in my box for over a year before I used it. I finally came to the realization that if I am going to spend the money on something, if I don't throw it, it isn't worth it and started throwing the expensive stuff.

This year, I have been lucky, I lost a soft swimbaits and hook a few weeks ago and a couple of jigs in July. I get bitten off once in a while but I have had a lot if luck lately.

In the 5 seasons of bass fishing since I have gotten back into it, I would say I have lost about $500 on tackle. That does not include the plastics I go through. Those to me are expendable and need to be thrown out after a few fish.

Adam
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

lape0019 wrote:... That does not include the plastics I go through. Those to me are expendable and need to be thrown out after a few fish.
Adam

This is how I look when I loose 3 Yamamoto Senkos in a row to a rock bass!

PLEASE don't go on about elastics.. cant stand using them... like condoms. Rather rawdog my Senkos.

Craig
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

I don't count jigheads...

I has lost significantly less since I moved to braid....

The only time I loose them now is it deep snags with the line gettng cut.

This year I ahve lost 2 to trees. They were out of reach....

I lost about three to rocks.... Using deep diving lures to scrape the bottom... I can tweek this approach and fine tune the lure to the depth.
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

when you say spinners are these in-line spinners or spinnerbaits?

The only time I have ever lost a spinnerbait is to pike and musky. Never lost one on a snag.
Hate losing frogs to pike. This year no lost frogs
Hardbaits, have a bait knocker for hangups. Check the line frequently for abrasions and so far no lost baits

Jigs are designed to be lost so I don't really care if the get bit off or snagged. Same with drop shots

As for plastics, I consider them expendable as well. Go through many bags a year. Craig, If losing Yamamoto's to the MIGHTY rock bass ( the noblest of all game fish) bothers you then I would switch to cheaper baits or quit.
flewdogg
Participant
Participant

Post by flewdogg »

I usually lose one or two lures a trip (on a day long, 6-8 hour day). By "lure" I mean a crankbait, a spinnerbait or a frog. This doesn't include jigs, which I usually lose a few of each outing. Like someone said above, I don't count them because they're meant to be fished in a way that risks losing them. That's why they're relatively cheap.

Most annoying loss for me is when you throw a crankbait too close to a tree and it gets hung up there. You sometimes can yank it out but more often it stays there. I'm a bit obsessive and will go to great lengths to get it back if possible. Example: last fall I was shore fishing and I lost a jitterbug up in a tree branch, too high to go get and was out over the water. I noted the location and went back in January when it was frozen over and covered by snow. I was able to yank it down and it was no worse for wear despite spending a good few months exposed to the elements. I used it a lot more this summer but lost it for good last month on a pike who bit it off.
MichaelGA
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MichaelGA »

Guess I'm lucky... I generally wet-wade and about every 3-4 trips out I come home with a new-to-me lure.

Generally crank baits with bizarre line configurations, wire traces, round weights etc. and a stub of mono... can't figure out what the logic was.
In two years I think I've found 5 rapala husky jerks...mostly perch / firetiger.
campnfish
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by campnfish »

haha great replies gents...

Glad to see I'm not the only guy that casts into trees either. getting it out is done one of two ways: The fast rip, or slowwwwwly easing it up, over and around the branch.

I like the idea of waiting for the ice in the winter to go back for lures...I will now note where I loose them in the trees...

@ CN - you asked about the spinners I use - its a Victor Spoon. Adds a little flash in murky waters, good for dragging a texas-rigged senko through the weeds.

At $3.50 for a pack of 2, I can lose a few and not cry about it. Better than a $5-6 dollar Mepps anyway.
victorspoon.jpg
victorspoon.jpg (648.81 KiB) Viewed 3496 times
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

I agree that jigs are usually expendable. My problem is that the ones I have the most confidence in are no longer available locally. So when I lose one of them (they are all gone now...) it really sucks. Looks like a bulk order of jigs will be coming my way this winter. I can only find them online.
BrookieJunkie
Participant
Participant

Post by BrookieJunkie »

Honestly, eventually I lose 'em all. :lol:
steve_rauch
Participant
Participant

Post by steve_rauch »

just enough so I can tell the wife I need to make a trip to the store... 8) 8)
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

One thing many of us don't consider is terminal tackle. I really like using tungsten, but each time you lose one of the heavier weights, it's $5.00-$10.00 gone. Even on drop shot, I have found the bottom feel many times better than lead, but the cost is scary. I really don't want to know what it costs me a year. Really, I don't :oops:
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
Daboss
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Daboss »

Too many!
Damn right I'm good in the sack...I can sleep for hours!
scuro
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scuro »

Not enough! Incoming lures exceed outgoing lures.
...anything to bend the rod