Pike or Musky bit after a snag

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
daveh_cdn
Participant
Participant

Pike or Musky bit after a snag

Post by daveh_cdn »

Here's my little noob story:

I was fishing from shore in New Edinburgh today with a wacky rigged pumpkin senko. I let it sit too long on the bottom and I got a snag. Not a usual weed catch-up but a hard snag, about 11 feet out. I was wipping at it, tugging, and I was about to give up before I decided to walk a couple steps to the right and give a tug from there before I ripped at one final tug.

This all happened pretty fast - So... I looked down, took a couple steps to the right, and AS SOON as I looked up I see a huge musky / pike (I couldn't tell) JUMPING outta the water. I was like "WHAT?!". Then, I noticed he was attached to my line. I started to reel in, at the same time thinking, "What the heck? I was snagged hard." and "That snag COULDN"T have been a fish, I was ripping at it for like a minute". Then he jumped again! The wife and I saw that he was over two and a half feet for certain. Then he jumped immediately a third time and spit my hook. I literally had no time to do much at all.

So strange because I've never caught anything but smallmouth in the Rideau here. Also, I didn't think they'd go for senkos. Third, I was snagged - how did he get at it?

Either way, I really wish I landed him but I guess I should be thankful - he freed my snag.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Pike or Musky bit after a snag

Post by lape0019 »

I would say that snag was more than likely the fish. If they get buried in weeds, it will feel like a snag.

Now, take a read at this and note that it was also caught on a wacky rigged lure in a similar way to yours. The Powerteam lures sick Stick is basically a ribbed senko.

http://www.fish-hawk.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=46264
CyrusG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CyrusG »

There are big musky in that area, without the right gear you can feel like your snagged if you hook into one of them at first. I have snagged the odd bass and pike after getting unstuck while catfishing so that could be what happened to you, i also caught a small musky on a senko before but that isn't very common :lol: , cool report!
Cy
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

Cool!

My guess with a fish that large is that you would have felt a head shake if he was on right away. Probably sitting int he weeds and snapped at it when if popped free...

That being said.... I have reeled in a truck load of weeds once to find a 3 lbs pike buried in them.
rex.stpierre
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rex.stpierre »

40 inch musky will feel like a log with a medium rod...if the musky does not feel like moving it wont... I've don't the same thing you have, I tightened my drag and slowly pulled him up till I saw the dorsal.... I thought I was pulling up a wet log until the log started moving up stream...

if you had mono, that stretches, good luck moving the fish with authority. It was most likely an opportunistic musky that inhaled your senko... Good cast, you put it right on his nose!!!!

Next time tell your wife to get the camera...
This year I spent most of my money on beer, women and fishing...the rest I wasted.
daveh_cdn
Participant
Participant

Post by daveh_cdn »

I dunno guys... I was pulling this snag hard.

But I really don't know how else it happened, literally if he took the lure and I was pulling at him he felt just like a certain snag on a log...

So weedy...
daveh_cdn
Participant
Participant

Post by daveh_cdn »

I also thought it was strange to see a big fish like that jumping so much. Jumping more than a friggin bass!
rex.stpierre
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rex.stpierre »

daveh_cdn wrote:I dunno guys... I was pulling this snag hard.

But I really don't know how else it happened, literally if he took the lure and I was pulling at him he felt just like a certain snag on a log...

So weedy...
What was your line, what was your rod?

I've seen fish hit lure after a snag too... and I've seen 45 inch muskies jump more than bass...pike jump too but when they panic by shore...
This year I spent most of my money on beer, women and fishing...the rest I wasted.
daveh_cdn
Participant
Participant

Post by daveh_cdn »

rex.stpierre wrote:

So weedy...

I've seen fish hit lure after a snag too... and I've seen 45 inch muskies jump more than bass...pike jump too but when they panic by shore...
I had 8lbs mono and my rod is a Abu Garcia Vengence Spinning "Medium Light" Power and "Fast" Action.
toned
Participant
Participant

Post by toned »

So weedy...
I've seen it first hand where my buddy has gotten snagged, the second it popped free it was hit

I think they follow it, and watch it...when it gets snagged, they just look at it and when it pops free, they lung at it.
rex.stpierre
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rex.stpierre »

daveh_cdn wrote:
rex.stpierre wrote:

So weedy...

I had 8lbs mono and my rod is a Abu Garcia Vengence Spinning "Medium Light" Power and "Fast" Action.
Yep, you could break 8lb jerking on a musky holding your lure.... Trick is tighten the drag to bring him up real slow till he sees surface or shore... Then say buh byes!!! But you could have also attracted it with shaking, or gotten him to bite right after getting unsnagged.... Only the musky gods will know...