...and just like that it's September

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

...and just like that it's September

Post by Yannick Loranger »

With thuderstorms forecasted for today, I cancelled the 2 trips I had booked. So, on that note, it looks like the bulk of my 2014 guiding season is behind me. After 80+ groups, 2 summer camps and my own 2 munchkins and husbandly duties, I'm in much need of a few days off before a promising ice season. Here are a few photos from the 2nd half of our summer.

After our 53'' submarine from mid-July, we ended getting into a pile of these, but no other monsters. My associate Sebastian on the other has been getting good fish consistently throughout the summer.

Once in a while you get one of these hanging out where the musky are.

Then of course, limits of walleye is what I do best, but consistency doesn't make great photos, but these guys mixed in with the walleye do!

When rods need to bend ASAP, there's always cats. We were looking for the big ones, but when this happens 7 times in 2 hours, smaller fish do the job.

Then you find the big ones, and grown men get giddy.

When the mid-August rain scattered the walleye, we got onto some weed flats full of these guys. The hardest hits you could imagine, line peels, and jumps, nothing but good times.

This summer has been an exercise in maintaining balance. I've been working hard to spend less time on non-core business tasks to spend more time with this guy, his sister, and his mom. "Papa, travailles-tu à la pêche aujourd'hui?'' ''Oui, Jack''. ''Ahhhhh....ben, moi j'aime toi.'' Breaks my heart everytime. He might just be the 2nd generation of ORGF in the making.

And now to complete my little building project. 20' x 12' of ice fishing bliss in our bungalows that will be set-up just east of Rockland.

Yannick Loranger
Owner and Head Guide
Ottawa River Guided Fishing
http://www.OttawaRiverFishing.ca
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: ...and just like that it's September

Post by almontefisher »

Awesome season yannick. Plenty of variety for sure. Good to see. Now as for those ice shacks I hope you don't supply the heat for them cause from my experience it takes a lot of heating material to heat a large space. We had a 12x10 and it was hard to heat on cold days. Anyway I am sure you have it all figured out so good luck with the hard water this year.
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

almontefisher wrote: Now as for those ice shacks I hope you don't supply the heat for them cause from my experience it takes a lot of heating material to heat a large space. We had a 12x10 and it was hard to heat on cold days. Anyway I am sure you have it all figured out so good luck with the hard water this year.
18000 BTU direct vent propane heat and good insulation in the walls.

Yannick
Yannick Loranger
Owner and Head Guide
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

fisherguy33 wrote:
almontefisher wrote: Now as for those ice shacks I hope you don't supply the heat for them cause from my experience it takes a lot of heating material to heat a large space. We had a 12x10 and it was hard to heat on cold days. Anyway I am sure you have it all figured out so good luck with the hard water this year.
18000 BTU direct vent propane heat and good insulation in the walls.

Yannick

That should do it!! Well next question then..cost to rent these things?? Figured out yet?

ORWL
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

almontefisher wrote:

That should do it!! Well next question then..cost to rent these things?? Figured out yet?
Each one will sleep 6 guys. Pricing is yet to be confirmed, but ballpark, $900 for the weekend, $500 for 1 weekend night, $300/night on weekdays.
Yannick Loranger
Owner and Head Guide
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

fisherguy33 wrote:
almontefisher wrote:

Each one will sleep 6 guys. Pricing is yet to be confirmed, but ballpark, $900 for the weekend, $500 for 1 weekend night, $300/night on weekdays.

You supply the heat, minnows, holes drilled inside and out? Is there a toilet that will be included and stove for cooking etc?? Sorry for all the questions Yannick but this interests me alot. I never ice fish that far down river and sounds like a great idea!!

ORWL
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Gear (wood tip-ups) and bait supplied. Kitchen inside with coffee machine. 4 to 6 holes Inside. We'd like 6 put we'll see how much room we have once the build is done. We're still not 100% ure what we'll do about toilets. I'd like to have it to be accessible from the inside, but that may be cause other issues, but at the very least there will a (or many) community porta potty. Between my partner in this venture and myself, we'll have a fleet of a dozen shacks.
Yannick Loranger
Owner and Head Guide
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

fisherguy33 wrote:Gear (wood tip-ups) and bait supplied. Kitchen inside with coffee machine. 4 to 6 holes Inside. We'd like 6 put we'll see how much room we have once the build is done. We're still not 100% ure what we'll do about toilets. I'd like to have it to be accessible from the inside, but that may be cause other issues, but at the very least there will a (or many) community porta potty. Between my partner in this venture and myself, we'll have a fleet of a dozen shacks.

Holy that is wicked Yan. If I can suggest to add the toilet as a seperate piece to the main lodge..just thinking a bunch of guys and food may create a smelly situation if in the main shack..lol. I have seen it that they build a 3x5 section onto the shack and put the crapper in there. good news with the Ottaww though is you could drill a hole right into the water for the toilet and no one will ever know..lol. Sorry just had to take a swing at that joke!!

Good luck Yan and I may be a client this winter seeing as my shack was left to a nephew who did not get it out of the ice on time so it became a nice bon fire before it became permanent strucutre on the bottom of the lake.

ORWL
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Great way to end the season Yan!
Dcaster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Dcaster »

Awesome report of clearly another great season!

Thanks for sharing

:handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: