Long Sault Redux

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Long Sault Redux

Post by zippyfx »

I went to Long Sault last week and I all I caught were these:

I went back this week; Well by hook or by crook, lucky or not I managed to land my personal best. More than double my previous PB of 7lbs.... My new manual scale indicated the weight at about 17 lbs.

Not a monster but a nice fish.

It was a slow take I watched my rod tip go down and the baitrunner start to give line. I picked up the rod and felt the weight of the fish. I knew it was big and I was getting nervous.... It took line and went straight for the bottom. I was wondering what cover a fish would break for as I saw no visible structure by the rip rap I was fishing. It went straight into the weeds and buried itself in them... For a while I wasn't even sure I still had the fish on but I did get the occasional pull on the drag... I had my 9ft MH rod and 40 lb braid. I new I was not going to be out muscled today... I did not want to the pull the hook so I reeled slowly and deliberately. It fought against every inch of line I took. In hindsight I should have the drag set a skosh lighter. I watched the fish come up out of the depths turning and and trying to head back down every time I reeled in some line.... When I got it to the top it was exhausted.
Now, I looked at my net and the fish and there was no way this guy was going to fit into it. I really wanted a picture of this one so I stepped into the water, picked it up, carried up the rip-rap and did a CPR.
No other carp but I was more than satisfied.

I made some time to fish a culvert which had some moderately fast current to it where I had caught some gobbies and perch last time out... I decided to poke around and see if anything else was there. After some careful observation I noticed there was a definitive stratification of fish.. Near the top and in the full current were the perch.... Hanging on just below current were the Gobbies. But there was a group of fish that was hanging on mid depth at the horizontal edges of the current, seeking shelter in the weeds a coming out periodically to nibble on my worm. I switched from #8 to a #22 and reduced the size of the worm on the hook and caught one of these:

By my reckoning this is a blacknose shiner. I lifer for me.
Last edited by zippyfx on Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Long Sault Redux

Post by ShawnD »

Awesome, such tinny fish but they're beautiful. :shock:
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
Dcaster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Long Sault Redux