Popular Ice fishing Spots - Ottawa

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Chad Ocho Stinkhole
Participant
Participant

Popular Ice fishing Spots - Ottawa

Post by Chad Ocho Stinkhole »

Going to be building an ice shack this fall and looking for a good and popular spot to set up the shack not too far from the Navan/Russell area. This will be our 1st year doing this and looking for good walleye/perch/pike fishing, but also an area with other shacks around for safety reasons.

I'm aware of Petrie Island but the proximity to the sewage plant makes me want to go well away from there, unless there's something I'm missing. We're used to fishing the Rideau around Manotick and Kars, but not sure if there are places where the ice is thick enough to allow for a full time shack?

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks.
CyrusG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Popular Ice fishing Spots - Ottawa

Post by CyrusG »

Shirley's bay is a great spot with lots of shacks around, perch and pike are in the shallows and you'll find walleye in the deeper water but the best time to get em is right as the sun goes down in 10-15 feet of water.
Cy
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

There is usually a village of ice shacks around James island in the Rideau as well. I only throw this out as it is almost inline with the Kars airfield. You can see it from shore on river road near the Rideau Hill campground.
Chad Ocho Stinkhole
Participant
Participant

Post by Chad Ocho Stinkhole »

Thanks for the feedback so far. I'm interested in the area at James Island near Kars and would like to get some more info. I really appreciate everyone's help. Also thanks to Bobber for some additional feedback.

- how many shacks are normally there, is it a popular spot (this would be a good thing)?
- I would assume there is little to no current there if there are permanent shacks. Yes I'm paranoid but it's my 1st time and I don't like the idea of losing the shack.
- does anybody know the depth range of the area, and better yet, at what depth should we be looking for regardless of where we put the camper?
- does anybody (municipality) monitor the ice levels and advise when you can set up? What is the normal time of year for the ice to be thick enough?

Thanks again...
riverdog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by riverdog »

Chad Ocho Stinkhole wrote: - does anybody (municipality) monitor the ice levels and advise when you can set up? What is the normal time of year for the ice to be thick enough?
Thanks again...
It would to big of a risk for a municipality to be posting ice conditions...insurance nightmare. The best thing you can do is watch for other shacks if your worried along with doing your own testing of the ice. Keep an eye other the weather reports & the long range forecasts. When on the ice each individual is responsible for their own safety.