Frustrated at Silver Lake

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
deova
Participant
Participant

Frustrated at Silver Lake

Post by deova »

Hi all,

I have been fishing Silver lake in Maberly for Lakers for some time. I am using a down rigger with varying distance from rigger ball. I have fished with spoons raps and live bait at different depths. Fished west, east and north of Island. I have trolled at 1,1.5 and 2 mph. I mark lots of fish but have had no luck. I fish Big Rideau and Muskrat with great success.

Pls help.
cgates
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Frustrated at Silver Lake

Post by cgates »

stay at Big Rideau and Muskrat
flewdogg
Participant
Participant

Post by flewdogg »

I have only fished for lakers there once, last spring after ice out. Was tough even then (supposed to be easier after ice out). That lake gets hit hard b/c it's easy to access. Try jigging for them after you mark them. White jig, white Mister Twister grub or a plastic paddletail minnow. Also doesn't hurt to add a stinger hook to the jig for the short strikers (embed it in the plastic tail a bit).
bradford2
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bradford2 »

I'm guessing due to closed seasons the first suggestion likely won't work much for you :lol:

I've fished Silver from the boat once and would also suggest jigging if you're marking the fish. It doesn't seem like a very productive lake though. Given the other year-round choices available if it was me I'd try to get on Redhorse or Loghborough. Both can be good.

Good luck!
steve_rauch
Participant
Participant

Post by steve_rauch »

You are not the only one to have a hard time on this lake...
search silver lake in the forum and you will see...
I was there a few weeks ago and had the line come off the downriggers twice.
The second time there were head shakes and a small battle before the hook was straightened... after 10 or trips that was the most success i've ever had :lol: :lol: