ice fishing technique

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

ice fishing technique

Post by tbone1088 »

Hey boys,
I'm looking to up my ice fishing game for this year, been ice fishing seriously for about 5 years or so. I would like to improve my landing and fighting techniques, mainly I have a problem with losing bigger sized fish right at the bottom of the hole. I figure it's because I'm rushing the fish too much and not letting it come up when it's ready to, but pointers would be nice. Would also like some tips on fishing for smaller sized walleyes as well and tactics for them. The walleye where we go are rarely over 2 pounds and I feel like my setups are too clunky and sloppy to catch them. Should I be trying perch tactics maybe??? And lastly, I have a fishfinder to see whats going on, but sometimes I will try for an hour plus to catch one and nothing!! Wondering if there are some moves that I can employ to help out a bit on these lockjawed pics...
JZ
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: ice fishing technique

Post by JZ »

Well there are a million different tips or tricks depending on the situation but it would be nothing that you couldnt find reading up on icefishing, watching vids etc And since you are asking about this in Oct Iam guessing you are serious about it and have done lots of research. Two things that have helped me:
Losing fish at the hole- most of the time it happens to me when I reach down to pull the transducer out of the water, I end up dipping the rod down and givng the fish the slack it needs. Try getting the transducer out earlier while the fish is still swimming down or away, or have your buddy do it. Also when the fish is close, you are right, trying to horse it up the hole will lose you fish, just because you can see it doesnt mean you need to try and bring him up. Stay calm gently guiding the fish with your rod and they will usually swim up the hole to you.
Triggering bites- if fish are aggressive any action you impart will trigger a strike but if they are in a neutral or neg mood, overly erratic action can spook them. I am always amazed how little movement it takes to move a lure. Next time you are out just drop your bait down a few ft and watch it move as you do different lift fall techniques, then drop it down further until you pick it up on your flasher and see what that same movement looks like on the screen.
rex.stpierre
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rex.stpierre »

What waters are you fishing?

Live bait or lures?

What are your set ups, I have 4 different style tip ups and like 8 different rods...

What line?

What leaders?

Are you only targeting walleye?
This year I spent most of my money on beer, women and fishing...the rest I wasted.
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tbone1088 »

thanks for the tips jz. Rex I fish mostly at shirleys bay, but do move around quite a bit. Almost always chasing walleyes, but mix it up with pike occasionally. Have 5 rods and plenty of lures to choose from , usually throw on a fluorocarbon leader since we are fishing in 12 ft. or less. My suspicion is that when the fish aren't biting im moving my baits too much like jz stated before. But I have tried jiggling and microjigging before, and alot of the time I find it just doesn't work. The fish at shirley's bay are heavily pressured, and I think variety is going to help out alot ie.buying lures not many people have, golden shiners instead of emeralds, and real maggots instead of artificials. Hopefully attention to detail will pay off, I sure hope so the ice fishing last year wasn't good at all would like to turn it around :)
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

One tip would be to get out of Shirleys Bay. :lol: Joking. But it is as you say, "heavily pressured."

Not sure if this will help but, remove and keep the snow around the hole away. Reach right in the hole to grab fish like walleye. If bigger fish hit, double set the hook.
rex.stpierre
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rex.stpierre »

tbone1088 wrote:thanks for the tips jz. Rex I fish mostly at shirleys bay, but do move around quite a bit. Almost always chasing walleyes, but mix it up with pike occasionally. Have 5 rods and plenty of lures to choose from , usually throw on a fluorocarbon leader since we are fishing in 12 ft. or less. My suspicion is that when the fish aren't biting im moving my baits too much like jz stated before. But I have tried jiggling and microjigging before, and alot of the time I find it just doesn't work. The fish at shirley's bay are heavily pressured, and I think variety is going to help out alot ie.buying lures not many people have, golden shiners instead of emeralds, and real maggots instead of artificials. Hopefully attention to detail will pay off, I sure hope so the ice fishing last year wasn't good at all would like to turn it around :)
I've caught my biggest walleye and pike on the biggest live bait in the bucket. I have never caught anything on frozen dead bait and I have never caught a fish under the ice on a rattle bait. I have caught perch on a jigging rap but are we really out there for perch.

When I do hook onto something over 5 lbs, I know it the second I feel the weight . I never set the hook with a stiff jerk but more with a slow steady hard pull.... I always make sure my drag is ready for the fish to take like (3 lbs tops). Its something you learn when you watch a guy break a rod beside you or break his 6 lb mono beside you. I use treble hooks all the time, size 12 to 4 depending on my bait. I make rigs with fluorocarbon. 12lbs for walleye up to 80lb for pike... Do not be fooled, a 24 inch pike will cut clean through 40lb fluoro...

I have pulled out 30 inch toothy critters on 6 pound mono with 12 fluoro leader. Sometimes, you just don't have a choice. Its a lottery! They take a lot of drag and when I see its head fill the six inch hole, I take off my hoody and shoved my arm in up to my shoulder... I always get wet but oddly when you have fought a fish, it lets you gill plate it...

Walleye will fight for the bottom hard so when its at the hole, stop horsing it, always keep your rod ready so it can take more line. I have to admit, I have seen huge walleye heads at the hole, and pulled them straight out but I was pike fishing and knew I had a heavy rod, 30lb test braid and a 60 lb fluro leader.

As mentioned a clean hole is a happy hole. Don't horse the fish, and don't be afraid to reach right in. When its a big girl, she always goes back after kisses!!! lol

Don't feel bad, we all lose fish. IT usually makes for a good story you can write on here!!! If it was meant to be, it was meant to be!

Relax and enjoy, Tight lines!!!
This year I spent most of my money on beer, women and fishing...the rest I wasted.