Hardwater has arrived

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Canmoore
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Hardwater has arrived

Post by Canmoore »

This weather is not helping things! Gets cold, then snap!! It gets warm! Last Monday was 19'C!!! Today was 9'C! The models say that December/January/February is going to be colder than normal. However, it sure does not seem that way! Seems like we are on a crazy roller coaster, which sucks for hard water. Especially on big water like the Ottawa, and Quinte!
rustyhook
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by rustyhook »

I ventured out on 3 ponds that I trap minnows on and there was about 2.5 inches of ice on each of them. They are shallow and the muck usually keeps the ice a bit thinner. I think I'll wait a few days before trapping them. I did go to white Lake and went out at the boat launch. It had a good 4 inches of black ice. I see someone else was out checking the ice a day or so ago as well. It is completely frozen, I didn't see any open areas as far down the lake as I could see.
arnpriormike
Participant
Participant

Post by arnpriormike »

On Sunday morning I hiked into a trout lake in zone 18 expecting to fish from shore. To my surprise there was 2" of black ice!!! So I punched a hole in the ice with my chainsaw "socket-t-wrench" I had in my backpack. Then I started fishing with my 6' rod! Within a few minutes of jigging with a little cleo in 4-5 feet of water, I noticed a very nice brook trout circle under my feet!! Seconds later he was on top of the ice!!
A very nice and colorful 16"male brook trout!!
I would have taken a picture and posted it for you guys, but, I didn't think of it until after I ate him that evening!

So there's ice in them back hill/smaller lakes!! No ice is safe ice, just use common sense!!

Have fun guys! Water walking is here....finally!!
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Be safe guys! Don't go alone, wear at least a floater suit and tie a long rope to shore!!! I used to love first ice fishing but I was always as safe as I could about it. Guess I'm getting too old now. I'll wait a bit longer!!!
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
Canmoore
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Canmoore »

The entire Christmas holidays had stupid warm temps, I drove past petri on Thursday and it was completely open. Even saw a shack sunk on baitshop bay!! We are finally into some colder temps, but it wont be safe for at least a week.
arnpriormike
Participant
Participant

Post by arnpriormike »

The small trout lakes are fine!