live bait in hull

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

live bait in hull

Post by tbone1088 »

hey boys,
I heard there was a live bait shop very close to hull near one of the main bridges, friend told me it is also a depanneur but couldn't think of the name, anyone know where and what its called?
Paul Shibata
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: live bait in hull

Post by Paul Shibata »

Given that you referenced "depanneur" I am assuming that you mean in Hull and not in Ontario. I can't say for certain but unless you're talking about worms it's probably unlikely given that live bait (minnows) is illegal in Quebec.

-P
Christian Gervais
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Christian Gervais »

Yes Paul. He means Hull, Quebec. It think he is talking about a general store on Jacques Cartier or Fournier rd. I never went but that is the place (heard about it). As Paul states, it is now illegal to fish with live bait.
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fishin mission »

There is a Depanneur on Jaques Cartier St ,,,,,,,, Depanneur Peris it's called.... i bought minnows from him before not sure if he still sells them there is a restaurant in the same building its called Pirate Restaurant hope this helps,,,,,,,DANO :D
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

No live monnows there anymore.

Only frozen.

It is now illegal for anyone to sell live minnows in Quebec. Period.
Fishoholic
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fishoholic »

Bits and baits is close enough to hull..... Right? Right? Gord must be feeding those minnows steroids or something, man they live a long time if you keep em cool.
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tbone1088 »

thank you guys... saved me a bus trip to hull today ;) ;) :) Anyone think worms will work right now? I NEED TO CATCH SOME EATER WALLEYES ASAP!!!! :)
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

You can still buy frozen minnows and use them in QC.

Just not live.
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tbone1088 »

I'm actually fishing in Ottawa but would have went to hull to get live minnows. If worms still work I can just get some around here but I will go to canadian tire in hull for preserved minnows otherwise.
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fishin mission »

Dont buy the preserved minnows in the bag there toxic lol they dont work worth a sh*** .The frozen ones come in a tub (plastic) and frozen
where on the ottawa side are you fishing? there are lots of retailers that sell minnows here in Ontario.
MichaelGA
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MichaelGA »

Hit up your local Asian market - the frozen section has a huge selection of little to medium and huge frozen fish.

I have no idea what it's real name is but I get Frozen Kehoe for $5 a dozen and they are like fat 10" torpedoes.. seriously fat with a pointy nose and clipped off tail.

Pike and Walleye love them, take em out of the freezer and let them sit in a well sealed bucket of salt water in the fridge for a week or so.

Stink to high hell and very oily - slash the sides and hang head down on a quick-strike rig and thump them off the bottom like they are feeding or dying.

Works really good.
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tbone1088 »

I live in downtown ottawa, very close to the portage bridge. Not many options for us centretown folk as far as live bait is concerned, closest place I believe is manotick bait which is further than I'm willing to bus. I'm surprised you don't like the preserved minnows mission, I have had good luck with them in the past. I will say though be very VERY careful with the liquid that they come in: my cousin got some in his eye and had an infection for a week or so!!!
rex.stpierre
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rex.stpierre »

Depanneur Perry sells them in the winter... You need to turn right off Fournier after crossing Gatineau river bridge.

You can go catch minnows in brooks in Gatineau parc but you have to kill them before you use them.

I haven't had luck with frozen minnows or preserved minnows either...
This year I spent most of my money on beer, women and fishing...the rest I wasted.