Work, Fish, Travel... Hunt??!! Report.

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Work, Fish, Travel... Hunt??!! Report.

Post by Moosebunk »

WORK, FISH, TRAVEL... HUNT??!!

There is that one constant which we all most likely share, and it is work.

Nursing is my work. I am a Nurse. Snicker if you will, pass judgement, but know that this skin is purdy darned thickened to much after 20 years.

Yet on Canada Day I quit my permanent job. Not wanting to tolerate nor fully settle into just ER medicine alone, and especially some current hospital scheduling practices and policies, after five years of trial it was apparent that walking away to roll the dice would be easier than continuing in a game I didn't really want to play anymore.

The perfect reset was to take July and visit Great Slave with my wife and then afterwards pull a solo run to Nipigon. Once returning home in early August to my two employers as only a casual "free agent," the phone started ringing and just wouldn't stop. The month ended up one of the busiest in the past few years leaving but one day to fish, yet thinking drought often follows flood, the days ahead I began to prepare for.

Late August, my 2000 to 2010 James Bay employer under a new name and authority re-hired me on as a casual and I secured work for a 17-day contract (locum) come end of September into October. With jobs falling into place, it was decided last minute that time could be afforded for some fishing with my friend Len up on Lake Athabasca, before being shipped off to Northern Ontario for the locum.

Everyday while north, taking just one off, I plugged away at the Nursing which has always been enjoyed most. By condensing all shifts too, and with a better rate on return, the 2.5 weeks figured the equivalent of about triple at home. This meant several things to me, I would be fine and my decision would work out, and this Autumn report would begin in Attawapiskat...

It's like having a second home, or actually... even a third. Sometimes struggle with a few names but most know me and it's a rare thing I forget a face. Welcomed by many with open arms, even a number of new folks were quick to introduce themselves. It's a good place in this regard, and seeing many inlaws during my stay made Attawapiskat even better. Many times over I chuckled with old friends too, when they pointed out how fat I've become. (inside I was crying)

First night in and the WIFI in the trailer crapped out, but I didn't care. Had a good book to read, "The Orenda," by Joseph Boyden and, also wanted to piece together the Athabasca report which could only then be hand written at that time. CBC Radio and Wawatay are pretty well the only stations that can be tuned into Skat. Listening to either one takes my thoughts back to Moose Factory, and especially to driving on the ice road in the mornings and evenings to and from work in Moosonee. On local cable TV are the community channels as well, and it's watching those one can catch up on almost everything that is going on around the community.

Many things about this kind of life around me cause changes. Instantly I begin to eat better, as it's all home-cooked meals and proper timed and balanced breakfasts. I sleep better, as it's quiet and closer to sea level, and with richer air. I move a little better, feeling less sluggish and stiff after sleep and manage to work through days with less tire. I think better, feeling more creative and motivated to especially read and write nearly every day. And I laugh more... probably because many people there laugh more, or just want to laugh more in general. It's a close knit and quite social community, yet... while there I do miss my girls every single day, which makes staying any great length rather difficult.

When time permitted during this past locum I'd go for a walk or drive in the hospital truck to explore and photograph the scenery around the outskirts of town. If only treated better, Attawapiskat would not be the third-world-like community which our National News often portrays it as. The land all around is pristine and incredible, and the town could be the crown jewel, if only it adopted a higher respect and responsibility.

Only a few short days available for those perfect autumn colors, the season was luckily captured in full glory. The old road to the Healing Lodge I once regularly walked in 2000 had been pretty well raped in recent years, excavated for dirt I am guessing to build the new school. The scenery has been destroyed, but beyond the Healing Lodge a new and long road out of town heading north is being built. Driving it in the future should take folks deep into the wilderness heading towards the Ekwan River. What was there and new on this trip though, was a 12 kilometer road which stretched from town to the mouth of the Attawapiskat River, almost right to the James Bay shore. Along this route are many new sites to take in, and a couple times I thoroughly enjoyed driving it's distance while stopping now and again to take photographs along the river.

Coming off a Saturday night shift on-call, my brother-in-law Joe kindly offered to have me along with his boys for a Sunday afternoon goose hunt. I had once been along with Joe in 2006 for some fall fishing and moose hunting, but I wasn't the hunter really, only the passenger. Yet the chance opportunity to experience anything like this can still not be passed up, especially when it's with family I regretfully don't share enough time with.

A strong north-wind on a grey day would be ideal to keep the birds moving through the area. From Attawapiskat we boated Joe’s 24-foot freighter down river to the very tip of it's mouth where it meets the James Bay ocean. The tide low, the grasses along the flats were flat and moist, and with hip waders we could easily walk the mud and puddled fields. Small flocks were flying regularly while many were laid down on the land. Other hunters about, this actually helped lift some birds from their rest and often get them flying over our heads. We did the same for others.

Joe had been sicker than a dog all week and still hacking away to no end. His energy at 50 still astounds though, as to me he is like two men when hunting or traveling on the land and rivers. When I claimed that I may be a little useless to him out on a hunt because I don't hunt, he replied, "you fish don't you? So then you hunt!" I'll admit that made me smile.

With Akimiski Island visible in the distance it was an absolute pleasure to spend the afternoon with Joe and my quiet nephews Nathan and Seth. Four snow geese and a Canada, plus two whitefish Seth found trapped in puddles after the last tide, the short hunt was a successful one and I learned much from Joe. On the way home with the tide coming in, we boated nearby back channels in search of signs for moose, but instead only saw a cruising beluga whale, a dozen seals and numerous bald eagles soaring overhead.

I'll let the pictures illustrate the afternoon.

In about the time it takes me to drill two ice holes, set up the pop-up, get it cozy inside and start fishing, Joe found a split log which he laid on the grass parallel to a foot wide but hip deep irrigation channel running through the land. Gathering a number of twigs he shoved them into the ground then tied grass in bows on those sticks. Sitting drier up on the log, feet dangling into the ditch, we were about same height as the makeshift blind. The boys could easily shoot from sitting or just stand up in the trench. I thought it was pretty cool.

Niska.

Tide coming in signals the end of the hunt. Can't sit in the water so off we went. The ride home was great too.

Some of my hunting buddies tell me I'm pretty lucky to have experienced a goose hunt on James Bay. They're not kidding. Meegwetch Joe, Nathan & Seth, it was a very memorable day.

I left Attawapiskat a happy man in more ways than one. To combine work with travel and have just enough time to squeeze in a few days out on the land to explore and live such moments is rather friggin' awesome.

Continued...
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Work, Fish, Travel... Hunt??!! Report.

Post by Moosebunk »

When arriving back home early October the wheels were still spinning. After a couple days of online research and questioning a few friends, I picked up the phone and called a Nursing agency based in Manitoba. A few weeks later I was hired... but the process for contracting through an agency to nurse in the Arctic requires plenty paperwork, time and some study, all which are still in the works. Regardless, some 2015 contracts will lead me away from home for periods of two to six weeks, though the trade off will be the majority of the year completely work-free while at home. With four employers I believe that will make for a solid monopoly. Nunavut & Northern Ontario will be the bulk, although when home I will work casually and when convenient. Quite stoked honestly to begin this chapter but, nervous at the same time. Bren and the girls may be able to join me for a trip or two a year but there will be times away without them. That's a hard thing to think about actually, but hopefully the healthy balance of outpost northern nursing with some southern ER shifts will make for work worth keeping.

My fishing buddy Lenny got married last month. He and his new wife Sara finally tied the knot. Although Len and I have not been friends for too long in life, in recent years we've shared some great trips and many times out fishing together. When he asked while up in northern Saskatchewan if I'd be his best man , I was honored. He will likely read this, so again my friend, congratulations!

One other thing also had to change this fall... Something that some weeks ago I wrote a little about the night before old became new.

Old Blue's Eulogy.

I put her through Hell some days but she wanted it that way. Fifteen years through muck and mire, snow and ice, there were times she'd mow down forests, snowdrifts and animals just to get me places. An untamed child barely broken when she first came to us, old and battered now she's gonna take some rest.

I'll remember the good times and the bad. How I'd never plug her in at minus 50C and although she'd whine, she'd wake and run. Those commutes I drove her hard in 4-wheel drive at 100km/hr across the northern ice roads, and she'd hold her grip great on the slick... most times. Replacing differentials came later. Doubt that any other truck though, could pull my boat through the night at 150km/hr and dodge moonlit foxes with such razor road precision.

There were a few near incidents when she was stopped dead in her tracks snapping suddenly through thin ice on the way to work. Dangling her feet in the river, tough as a bugger, I'd pop her into all four and giggling she'd crawl up and away no worse for wear. On the Detour 652 one afternoon there was a ditch crossing I thought was right for her... but turned out it wasn't. Just too narrow for a truck, we were touring a little quick, and missing the bridge made for a rather hard landing when she sailed off the side, jumping the ditch and driving down into the forest. An 18-point turn got her 180'd though, before approaching that bridge again with just the right angle that'd keep three tires on it at a time for the incline out. We made our escape. Crisis averted! Not a couple days later we found a spruce needled road through some sand eskers. Never lost, but temporarily turned around, the maze of narrowing trails closed us in. This became the first time her front bumper gently clear-cut through some forest while branches clawed at every bit of her body. She'd do anything for me.

She didn't see a vacuum much, nor a hose and wax but, there is truly less salt in all the ocean tides of James Bay than there are on our southern roads nowadays, and days eating mud just made her tough and naturally beautiful underneath. Honest truth is, rust and rattle never settled much into her, for a long time she happily ate that kinda sh!t for breakfast. She was beautiful.

Outside of Mattawa I chipped her windshield following a transport, twice. Make no mistake the shocks and brakes never let me down though, except once when they did. Ball joints? Well they were no match for Moo-ki-jun-i-beg Street in Moose Factory, so every now and then I'd treat her to some new shiny balls. Shackling her down to a rail-car dozens of times over the years so she could go five hours south and back on the Polar Bear Express must have hurt her feelings some. The torturous jarring of the rail-cars pulling at her muscular frame. Though once there, it was down in Timmins all alone she'd check into the garage to get lubed and loved. I worried sick about her when she went away.

Several times her windows just fell off the tracks over the past decade, her heater died and the new treads blew too. Alignment was never much of an issue, more often it was the balance, and come lately this gnawing noise with some nervous shaking in 4wd. CD player works most of the time but the passenger side speaker has been fuzzing a few years now. Gas gauge, what gas guage? Ya fill'er up, set the trip odometer then refill at 500k, and that's how you figure when she needs her next drink. A branch took a chunk out of both sides of the chip guard across the hood, but it simply added a kinda rugged character ya know? This past winter the only door to the backseat done busted, and it ain't ever gonna be fixed. Good thing it's broke closed and not open, and my kids are small enough to just climb over the center console. Tailgate-tailshhhmate really, won't even get into it but, she’s still got two outta four hubcaps on those rims. There's the crack in the drivers side mirror, although for ages both loose side mirrors have been holding on strong with a little velcro-tape. The odometer reads 253,000 now, but the second engine I had put in her has at least 10,000 klicks less than that. I'd bet she’ll go to 400,000 if I ask her nice. Can't believe the eighth cylinder lasted like it did, with a hairline crack which leaked poison coolant right into her beating heart. An army of mechanics for five years couldn’t ever figure out why her thermo-juice would go missing, yet we could easily always find her engine warning light on telling us something was ill. Someone tried to steal her away once, and one time someone just stole some loose change, but that’s only because the locks don't always work in the winter too good. She's too trusting, what can I say? Long time gone is her air conditioner, and I'm thinking maybe so right back to around that hot summer of 2006. But, I didn't give two wet sharts about freezing or sweating with her, not as long as Blue kept humming under my arse and taking me from A to B with as much care as only she can. My Chev, my Rock, my Blue...

Tough northern roads she crushed 'em! Highways to ice roads from Ottawa to Thunder Bay and Attawapiskat to Windsor she rode 'em! Different neighbor’s defunct Dodges and fallen Fords crumbled before her, all outlived. That said, she is actually a bit of cyborg nowadays but still going strong dammit! One fella at the Jiffy coating her underbelly recently said, "maaaan, they sure put alotta steel into these old trucks, don’t make 'em like they used to that's fer sure." Well... if it's true, if they're all just plastic disposable trucks these days, then I figure I'm pretty well gonna be fiznuckered with any one of them.

She's been to Hell and back and she loved it. Her heart will never die. She was my Blue, my Rock, my Chev.

The next day I was over it. :lol: First brand new vehicle EVER!

Bren's car in just five years managed to rack up 250,000 klicks, more than my fifteen year old truck has, so she made herself happy as well. Now I really gotta get to work. :shock:

But Old Blue will stick around awhile yet. Engine still going strong, my oldest daughter turns 16 soon and there's enough steel not rotted out that she thinks having the truck for herself will be awesome.

Totally neglected through August and September were these two sad and sorry state of affairs.

October 6th through to November 15th was a total rat race around home but the coolest thing was having nothing but time between "gigs." Over the six weeks the weather has been some of the most miserable, windy, rainy, hodgy-podgy unpredictable crap, and honestly the WeatherNetwork and all others should be dismissed. Fishing was tougher than usual for sure, but there were some days which turned out quite alright.

Six outings over the span were spent on smallies, with one of those days it being largies and eyes instead. Pretty well weekly I'd check in somewhere to see how the season and bite was progressing. One Thursday in the backwoods they lit up like mad over the span of a few hours. They were off, turned on big time, then shut down again... and it seemed related to the sun and breeze. It was weird, but the timing had been so right to pound on many, many 3 to 4 1/2 pound smallies with the light gear. A real "throw-back Thursday," and I just loved it!!! But overall the smallie season was the biggest flop. The other days were quite hard and with one being a skunk, couple times too I just quit within hours. It sucked!

Five days the boat managed to get out on Quinte. Would have expected more fish in The Reach sooner this year but found that it was the complete opposite. This season there wasn't a day out when the water temps were ever below 50F. Everything in 50-59F. White bass galore, plenty sheepies, smaller resi-like eyes with fewer bigguns thrown in until the later trips, this fall the BOQ has been stingy. Normally I'm finished with even going there by mid-month, aiming for a usual number of six trips in before switching to a couple weeks steelheading and the odd late muskie jig. Always blown away by the constantly good fishing, this year the eye troll hasn't even really started yet, and because so the numbers caught were pretty well cut in half. 35 fish total. Again, bigguns much harder to come by overall yet some are there, but I sit here now happily still holding strong on not once ever being skunked in over 30 some outings since first fishing the BOQ in 2009.

Favorite thing too about Quinte is the social aspect. Always such a pleasure to share the boat with friends or family, it's rare I take a rod anymore and reel one in. People always enjoy their day out, and that speaks volumes when those aboard range from my youngest daughter right up to the most serious of big fish anglers. This season some of the oldest buddies, Dan from Yellowknife with my youngest Leah along, and Paul from Lanark joined in for two different days out in the early going. Newbie to the Bay Steve, scored the last seat of the season. And an interesting partnership formed as well when new friend Seth from Fargo North Dakota flew in for four days of testing local waters, with two of those being on the Bay.

Kindly willing to cover every and all costs Seth and I hit the road starting at Quinte, then gave Larry muskies a go in some gale force winds, before ending on a couple cold and nearly snowy highland back lakes; where he was able to knock splake off his lifetime list with a great 21-incher. Seth being an Arctic fishing nut who's had many trips north to Bear, Slave, Athabasca and other places like Gods, he and I had plenty to talk about. His trophy wall is incredible, and so from me what he hoped for is new PB walleye more than anything. It felt like four days of guiding in many respects but, his personality is so kind and easy-going that any pressure there was came solely from me. We had about an hour and a half left on our second day on the BOQ when he reeled in his trophy. Seth enjoyed it on the lightest stick too when the inside right fired a clear RR. Thirty-six feet left on the counter and the fish was still straight down below the boat throwing head shakes. That doesn't happen too often with these ole wetsocks. The man who never smiles for any photos as fishing to him "is business," he instead let out a big whoop and high five after the net slid under his biggun. That felt great for us both.

Past few years muskies have been one fish I have come to really enjoy hunting in the fall. They can be one of the highest of highs or lowest of lows but they always seem worth the time. Over the six weeks I manged seven days out to chase the skis with friends Len and his pal Jay, Mikey, Seth and my oldest, Summer. There was no 56-incher this year sadly, and maybe because of that I didn't bother to measure any fish that were caught but, along the way the numbers tallied up to 6 for 7. All days were spent on the Larry but one. Notables were that Mike got his first tiger muskie and Summer reeled in a few good PB pike instead of skis on her day out. Although we couldn't find one for Seth, jigging one of my own hand-tied bucktails to finish out the season I managed a rather solid buzzer beater. Muskies were OK this season and I wish there was more time with them to come.

That's the autumn season in one purdy big, long-winded bloggy-like nutshell. Can't all be big trip reports but since Skat late September it sure as shart feels like it's been nothing but one big trip. Seems like there could be more but as for the fishing I'm done, and soon back to work awhile... Connecting online will be sporadic and more difficult in the coming months. Thanks for taking the time with this report and any others this year, and if I can't say it in good time, here's best wishes to you and yours over the coming Holiday Season too.

Bunk.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Another great report as always Drew. My eyes lit up when I saw you had a new post. Great stuff.
I liked the Old Blue story lol. You better hope she hangs in for a while yet cause it doesn't look like your nice new ride will like narrow rocky roads. With those running boards and low front cowling there's not that much clearance anymore.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Butch420
Participant
Participant

Post by Butch420 »

Yet another great post, always look forward to the pics and great stories
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

Thanks for the great post!
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

smitty55 wrote:Another great report as always Drew. My eyes lit up when I saw you had a new post. Great stuff.
I liked the Old Blue story lol. You better hope she hangs in for a while yet cause it doesn't look like your nice new ride will like narrow rocky roads. With those running boards and low front cowling there's not that much clearance anymore.
Losing two inches front and sides Smitty for that reason. I hear ya. 13 inches clearance to that cowling though, gaining four at the back. The old truck will be around for the "real" backwoods beatings, hauling the quad in the box and some driving out on the ice. The EcoTech3 is great for highway and hauling so far.
cornplanter2
Participant
Participant

Post by cornplanter2 »

Great post Bunk!
Been a while since I was on the salt flats, but still remember it well and still have some mud on the old Rem 1100.
Have a good winter.
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

cornplanter2 wrote:Great post Bunk!
Been a while since I was on the salt flats, but still remember it well and still have some mud on the old Rem 1100.
Have a good winter.
The mud floats on air up there and gets on and into everything. Magic mud it is. Boots are still dirty from spring 2000. :lol:

Best to you too this winter. :lol:
Mike P
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mike P »

A great collection of fish Bunk!
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Mike P wrote:A great collection of fish Bunk!
And we couldn't make it happen again Mike!!! :? Got your message too, but I'm pretty sure the 100km winds on Monday was our answer enough. :lol:

Out of commission awhile now, but maybe there'll be some time on the ice before Nunavut in the New Year. :D Enjoy the early ice man!
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Drew
Enjoyed this report again, as I do them all.
The north is in you. Only natural for you to be in the North.
Take care and continue to share.
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Work, fish, Travel seems about right. Were always hunting though in a way aren't we?

Great read Bunk and enjoy the new wheels :)