Fishing the back of the boat

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
drake691
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Fishing the back of the boat

Post by drake691 »

I have a question for the guys that tournament fish. For a co-angler is a bag thats 24"x12"x12" to big of a bag?
Christian Gervais
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Fishing the back of the boat

Post by Christian Gervais »

My partner brings a bag of that size with no issue on my bassboat but it is still big. I prefer when he just brings his trays. Try not to bring items that your parnter already has to minimize the weight. Ask him what NOt to bring like cisors, line for leaders, don't bring all your weights (like drop shot weights, bullet weights...). Bring what you think that you will use.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

I always ask when fishing out of someone else's boat. Each angler is different so it doesn't hurt to ask. For me, as long as they realize the bag will be at their feet, I don't care what they bring.
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by beachburger »

In a 20'+ boat, it should be fine but it's a little big in a smaller boat. When I'm fishing in someone else's boat, I either use a small size BPS Yellow Boat Bag (18" x 10" x 10") or one of those green grocery totes (21" x 13" x 9"). I also bring only 3 rods, 4 rods if there's going to be some dropshotting.

Here's a link to the BSS Yellow Boat Bag - http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-E ... /10205325/
If you're gonna be stupid, you'd better be tough.
cgates
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cgates »

The 2 tournament guys I fish with have a compartment in the back the is all mine so I bring what ever I want. I have the big red bag from BPS and I all gets emptied in the compartment plus I bring all my rods(6)
Chris
banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by banjo »

The more gear you bring... the more fish you are expected to catch :D
I don't tournament fish but I do alot of small water and camping trips. Size and weight of gear is at a premium... but when its pouring rain and a fishing partner digs a huge tarp out of their huge backback...all is forgotten about how heavy the bag was.
As far as what to pack, personally I would bring all that I would need to be independant (just limit the amount). Relying on someone else for pliers or leader material or sinkers would just about ruin my day.
PS. packing an extra sandwich and pop always goes a long way to cover up excess baggage :D