Need some help...

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
reboot
Participant
Participant

Need some help...

Post by reboot »

Hey all,

I just got my buddy's old ice sled from last year and I patched up a few of the holes on the bottom. I was going to mount it on a couple skis but couldn't find a cheap pair so I mounted it onto my old snowboard so that it would slide a lot smoother along the snow/ice. The problem is that it is now a little too long and need the back end of it cut off and I don't have any tools to do it. Is there anyone here that would be able to help me out with this?
IMAG0694.jpg
IMAG0694.jpg (1.18 MiB) Viewed 4164 times
This is what it looks like right now :D
IMAG0696.jpg
IMAG0696.jpg (1.17 MiB) Viewed 4164 times
This is the back end of the snowboard and the black line is where I need it to be cut off. The outside of the board is a metal wire (as slightly visible sticking out in the picture) and I think the rest of the board is made of primarily wood and a bit of something else :?

If someone could help me out, it'd be greatly appreciated! :D

David
EagleEyesFlash
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Need some help...

Post by EagleEyesFlash »

An angle grinder with a cut off wheel should work.
Good luck. :)
Snag or Fish , Weed or Fish , Oh Fish On
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

Jig saw or circular saw with a blade good for metal.

A good hacksaw, some elbow grease, and some some time?

If the metal is just on the edge you can notch it out with something like a dremel or any of the above then cut with just about anything.

I would un mount it if possible before cutting otherwise you really need to ensure it's clamped tight before you start.... that thing will likely be bouncing a lot.
Daboss
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Daboss »

Dust mask and outdoors.
Damn right I'm good in the sack...I can sleep for hours!
BradGuenette
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BradGuenette »

Toss out that snowboard and find some old ski's.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/in ... c=261490.0
Brad Guenette
Swimbait Canada
campnfish
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by campnfish »

I would be concerned about the sled tipping from side to side as you tow it, or always riding on one 'edge' of the board if its not perfectly centred.

That said, you have to work with what you have. The suggestion of a hacksaw is a good one. They are not expensive and are useful for other applications (heck, you could bring it with you to cut firewood while you ice fish, you can get cheap wood blades for the saw too)

I would suggest taking it off the sled, clamping or otherwise making it immobile, then use the hacksaw to slowly and methodically cut along the line you have there.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

BradGuenette wrote:Toss out that snowboard and find some old ski's.

Gotta love those Smitty Sleds... :)

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

smitty55 wrote:
BradGuenette wrote:Toss out that snowboard and find some old ski's.

Gotta love those Smitty Sleds... :)

Cheers
Tell me you are getting a piece of that action!!

Craig
reboot
Participant
Participant

Post by reboot »

Thanks for the advice guys! I think I'll swing by Canadian Tire today and grab a hacksaw... Hurray for black friday sales!
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tbone1088 »

Just from looking at it I think your going to have alot of balance issues... it is too high off the ground and not nearly as stable as skis would be. I learned awhile ago that the amount of gear you bring determines the sled style you should use. If your bringing a mountain of gear like we do, then just an unmodified sled with a long rope is your better option. It keeps the load lower to the ice, more stable and less top-heavy. Downside is it takes MUCH longer to pull... but your not constantly looking back and picking stuff up that fell off. Either way let us see the pics when you are done that thing looks radical!!!

PS I think this would be a great idea for underneath a portable shack, very innovative keep it up :)
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tbone1088 »

Looking at it again, what if you cut the snowboard in half, then mount both halves underneath the sled? it would be like having two larger skis should be more stable that way... just a thought ;)
steve_rauch
Participant
Participant

Post by steve_rauch »

did I miss something here....????
why would you need anything... when I was walking with mine never had any issues...no snowboard or skis and it worked just fine
i'd loose the board completely
MichaelGA
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MichaelGA »

Where do you live?

I've got a lots of tools to do the job but not really looking to drive an hour for a 5 minute job.
reboot
Participant
Participant

Post by reboot »

tbone1088 wrote:Looking at it again, what if you cut the snowboard in half, then mount both halves underneath the sled? it would be like having two larger skis should be more stable that way... just a thought ;)
Haha that would make it way too wide!
steve_rauch wrote:did I miss something here....????
why would you need anything... when I was walking with mine never had any issues...no snowboard or skis and it worked just fine
i'd loose the board completely
There are holes in the bottom that had to be patched up so I just taped on the top and bottom and have a feeling that it would be pulled off after getting dragged...

Thanks MichaelGA for the offer but I just couldn't wait so I ended up getting creative and cutting it with what I had. I used my electric drill with a 1/4" drill bit and drilled right along the line and slanted the drill which ended up cutting through the rest of it :D And then for the metal, I left the board overnight which I guess froze the metal wires on the side and when I bent it, the wires broke right off. It looks very... "rustic" :P And here are the pictures of the finished product and fully loaded, ready for the ice!!
2014-11-29 13.34.12.jpg
2014-11-29 13.34.12.jpg (1.21 MiB) Viewed 3940 times
2014-11-29 13.34.20.jpg
2014-11-29 13.34.20.jpg (1.34 MiB) Viewed 3940 times
Yakster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Yakster »

Make sure you seal up the exposed core with epoxy or something similar to keep the water out.