shirley's bay

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
RyanW
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: shirley's bay

Post by RyanW »

---
Last edited by RyanW on Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
613 Ice Fishing
On Facebook
SteveO
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by SteveO »

Well, I haven't been tearing it up yet in my outings. Mind you only one was for the evening bite, and that was on Saturday, and it was freezing, too cold really, and definitely no moving around. Cold and windy! I went out for 1 hour with my 3 year old son on Sunday - what an incredible difference in the weather Saturday to Sunday. (We were just at the end of the ice road in an Eskimo Pop-up on Sunday, just getting my son familiar with the idea of ice fishing. It went well enough. He does tend to stick his mitts into slush or the hole. He loves reeling the line in, but flipping the bail to let line out is asking a bit much at this stage, will have to look at a different reel).

Well, that's my non-catching report thus far. I've only been using artificial baits. It's like what seaweed was saying about petrie, Shirley's is so close, and it's a place to hone your technique.

I'd be interested in walking out to the point or closer to the structure some time but would prefer to do it with a partner. If anyone's interested in send me a PM me. I don't have tons of time but it's worth trying to set up a little outing.
CyrusG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CyrusG »

I caught a nice ling tonight! :D It hit one of Gord's large minnows an inch or two off the bottom right before dark. It weighed 3 pounds

New PB!
Cy
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

I landed a large Ling Cod last sat - about the same size. Say they are fresh water lobster, had a friends clean one (I don't touch them) and poached it in garlic and onion, dipped in garlic butter - and WOW it was good just like lobster!.

Thus far this season we have got 16 walleye and sauger in 5 trips out. almost all small a few ok sized. Over all slower numbers wise, but I guess 1 Great night of fishing will change that!
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

LiplessCrank wrote:I caught a nice ling tonight! :D It hit one of Gord's large minnows an inch or two off the bottom right before dark. It weighed 3 pounds

New PB!
Congrats! I need to add Ling to my life list.... It would be easier if I icefished.
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

LiplessCrank wrote:I caught a nice ling tonight! :D It hit one of Gord's large minnows an inch or two off the bottom right before dark. It weighed 3 pounds

New PB!
Congrats! I need to add Ling to my life list.... It would be easier if I icefished.