shirley's bay

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
flewdogg
Participant
Participant

Re: shirley's bay

Post by flewdogg »

scarkner wrote:Are there any public depth charts for Shirley's Bay? Might help in understanding better (I have tried to map it out a bit in the summer with my Kayak, but without much luck).
Scarkner, check out the Navionics web app, gives you some decent details on the depths at Shirley's. http://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en
CyrusG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CyrusG »

Those cigars fried up nice in beer batter :lol:

Thanks for the info Tim, the bite was slow around the shacks yesterday but another fella did well further out and caught a 4 pound eye. I'll be out there again tomorrow, if anyone wants to shoot the crap look for the white ford ranger / blue clam :D
Cy
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Good stuff boys! Thanks for the input.

Say G'day to Garrett for me Smitty!

RJ
Fishking
Participant
Participant

Post by Fishking »

LiplessCrank wrote:Those cigars fried up nice in beer batter :lol:

Thanks for the info Tim, the bite was slow around the shacks yesterday but another fella did well further out and caught a 4 pound eye. I'll be out there again tomorrow, if anyone wants to shoot the crap look for the white ford ranger / blue clam :D
Maybe the next time you go out you will release those minnow size walleye and let them grow a little bigger for someone else to enjoy down the road. For those who keep fish on the small side lets not forget that we want these fish to be around for our children to enjoy but if we keep fish that have barely any fillet then we are wasting what could be good size fish in the future.
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tbone1088 »

Fishking you are INCREDIBLY misguided on this issue. If we only ate the bigger fish than soon enough we wouldn't have ANY fish. The bigger a fish gets the more eggs it lays, so therefore the bigger fish are FAR more valuable from a reproductive standpoint than there small friends. I also think it is very rude to tell someone else what they should or shouldn't keep. Lipless broke no laws, he brought home is limit and that is his right to do so. You are entitled to an opinion Fishking, but don't be a jerk about it, no one will listen to you.
Fishking
Participant
Participant

Post by Fishking »

tbone1088 wrote:Fishking you are INCREDIBLY misguided on this issue. If we only ate the bigger fish than soon enough we wouldn't have ANY fish. The bigger a fish gets the more eggs it lays, so therefore the bigger fish are FAR more valuable from a reproductive standpoint than there small friends. I also think it is very rude to tell someone else what they should or shouldn't keep. Lipless broke no laws, he brought home is limit and that is his right to do so. You are entitled to an opinion Fishking, but don't be a jerk about it, no one will listen to you.
Not trying to be a jerk. I do agree with your point about bigger fish but from the pics sent there were a couple that looked like minnow sized fish. I was not trying to be rude but simply trying to encourage catch and release on the very small fish that is all.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

Fishking wrote: Not trying to be a jerk. I do agree with your point about bigger fish but from the pics sent there were a couple that looked like minnow sized fish. I was not trying to be rude but simply trying to encourage catch and release on the very small fish that is all.
Please feel free to start a thread on this topic then... there are dozens already. Please don't hijack this thread for such a discussion.

See you guys out there tonight for the sunset bite! I will be in the dark grey Tacoma and may have my little camo hunting blind setup too (not sure I am going to drive all the way to my fishing spot).

I am still learning the bay and trying out different spots. Really appreciate the Navtronics link earlier, helped me understand why I did well in some spots and not so good in others.
CyrusG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CyrusG »

I let the big ones go, the 2 biggest in the sink were 14 inches and those are great eaters in my opinion. I'm almost always all about catch and release but this is my favorite time of year to have a few fish fries. I didn't feel like having a walleye fry in months before that even though i caught a bunch of nice eyes this fall, those 14 inch eyes had bigger fillets than the 12 inch crappie i caught a few weeks ago and was more than enough for my brother and I to have a great fish fry that night :lol:

I'll be there around 3:30 fishing into dark, lets hope the fish are on tonight boys!
Cy
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tbone1088 »

lipless have you seen any trailers out yet??? I thought it was still too early, but it sounds like she's almost ready!
CyrusG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CyrusG »

tbone1088 wrote:lipless have you seen any trailers out yet??? I thought it was still too early, but it sounds like she's almost ready!
Trucks have been driving out for about a week, my bro and I will be driving out there this time for sure. If you stay on the plowed road you should be fine but once you go past the shacks that's your risk.
Cy
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tbone1088 »

Are there any trailers at all out yet? We don't put ours on until someone else has, and we stay close to the plowed road for safety reasons.
Yakster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Yakster »

There's a couple out there now....
CyrusG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CyrusG »

First burbot of the year! :D :D

The ice is thick now
Cy
Troutskiii
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Troutskiii »

Lots of trailers/shacks out there, was out this evening for a few hours, drive out no issues at all lots of trucks out on the ice.
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tbone1088 »

thanks alot guys I think we will be putting her on today... CAN'T WAIT ice fishing here I come!