Mississippi Lake Ice Reports

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
clint
Participant
Participant

Re: Mississippi Lake Ice Reports

Post by clint »

Crazy what a good cold night can do...
Just went out and punched a few holes at Gardiner shore again.
Right at shore still had a very little amount of slush, my boot only broke through the crust once.
Every hole had 9 inches of ice, it was a mix of hard black and soft white.
Saw a few snowmobiles out today too. And a couple 4 wheelers out on the big lake by grasshopper point.
And as usual the first ice shack at innisville is already out.
Trying to decide if I should get my shack out into the bay ahead of the possible snow next week. It would be easier to move now but I don't know about the warm and rain for christmas eve.
Troutskiii
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Troutskiii »

Sleds ripping across the lake Friday night, sounded like they had them to the bars, wouldn't e letting off that throttle yet!
clint
Participant
Participant

Post by clint »

Just got in from checking the ice.
The shore is super sketchy but i'm 265 lbs and didn't break through, I imagine it will firm up over night tonight.
went out and drilled 2 holes about 200-250 yards out from shore and one was 8 1/2 inches and the other was 9 inches. both solid black ice.
I'd imagine close to a foot of ice by this weekend if we don't get any snow and the forecasts for the next few days and nights are to be believed.
theDL
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by theDL »

Thanks Clint!! Going to make the long drive up from Brockville tomorrow, great to know there's ice still! Will post report after
MichaelGA
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MichaelGA »

Clint where about on the Miss was that?

Drove by the town launch today and it was naked, not surprising the current but I had hoped for at least something
clint
Participant
Participant

Post by clint »

MichaelGA wrote:Clint where about on the Miss was that?

Drove by the town launch today and it was naked, not surprising the current but I had hoped for at least something
it was at Gardiner Shore at the end of the 10th line of Beckwith.
MichaelGA
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MichaelGA »

Thanks man... going to get the gear packed up and take the little one out tomorrow! She's been bugging me for weeks now.

Now to draw up a map and figure out some times. Will post back so if anyone wants to meet us.
MichaelGA
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MichaelGA »

For all to enjoy...

Here's a map of Gardners Shores, access is via 10th line Road (Beckwith) parking is on the side of the road or out on the ice (not recommended at this time!)

A bit bigger of a file than I'd like but it's a big area, scale is bottom right!

Fish ON.

PS - always check the ice as you go there is a strong current zone so check often, it can change day by day!

PS - if you know of any other access points please let me know, I'll add them to the maps section!
Last edited by MichaelGA on Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MichaelGA
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MichaelGA »

Here is a bit of the next few days times.

It should read Mississippi Lake Gardners Shores (not point) ... I was in a hurry to get to bed...

The data is still good though as are the coordinates.

Wednesday looks very nice with regards to best times ... just hope the forcast holds. (fat chance, right?)
clint
Participant
Participant

Post by clint »

MichaelGA wrote: parking is on the side of the road or out on the ice (not recommended at this time!)
This isn't a drive on access at any point regardless of ice conditions. The snowmobile trail accesses the ice there and even if you could get a car or truck down that hill you'd be hard pressed to get back up it.

Once there is safe ice there is drive on access at the father's point launch and grass hopper point
MichaelGA
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MichaelGA »

Thanks a bunch.

I had it as a steep-drive on... will change that.

Thanks again.
clint
Participant
Participant

Post by clint »

I was going to pull my shack out today but glare ice and 40kmh winds made me rethink it. doing it tomorrow instead.
I was out on the 4 wheeler today though and punched a few holes.
Ran from the 10th line up to john's marina and everywhere looked good. The thinnest parts of the channel I found were still 7-9 inches.
It's perfect clear black ice 95% of the areas I was in today.
It's still relatively new ice so don't just blindly trust me, still be careful. But my shack is going out Friday night.
MichaelGA
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MichaelGA »

Anyone know if it's frozen up down by the old Bait Casters launch / store location. Hardwood Road on Robertson Shores?

TYIA
theDL
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by theDL »

MichaelGA wrote:Anyone know if it's frozen up down by the old Bait Casters launch / store location. Hardwood Road on Robertson Shores?

TYIA
Yep, froze up good there. I was out there on the 30th, average 8" of ice. Walked all over the place out to the islands and never saw less than 5" of clear black ice.

Does anyone know what the deal is with access down there? I thought bait casters owned the launch, but there is no trespassing signs up at the launch and bait casters looks boarded up?
MichaelGA
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MichaelGA »

The store moved out to the highway a couple years back now. Thought they still owned the launch guess I'll have to stop in and ask, used to be 5 buck honor system for boat launching but I don't own a boat so last time I was down there was last Jan/Feb.