8 inch gas auger or 10 inch gas auger???

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
rex.stpierre
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

8 inch gas auger or 10 inch gas auger???

Post by rex.stpierre »

Please settle this friendly argument.

I'm looking to buy a gas auger, I like to target all species in both ontario and quebec(mostly ottawa river) I spend 3 days a week on the ice and i tend to go for size more than numbers... I use a humminbird finder and fish both in and out of shacks with both rod and tip up... I can't stand hand auger :( i love live bait, i always have a big baid on big game tip up if I can...

Should i get an 8 inch or 10 inch, pros and cons appreciated...
This year I spent most of my money on beer, women and fishing...the rest I wasted.
pigeon
Participant
Participant

Re: 8 inch gas auger or 10 inch gas auger???

Post by pigeon »

For 10 inch hole, you could drop your fish finder into the hole.

Be careful.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Not sure if they are still made, but when I bought my Jiffy way back I bought a 9". Just right for me.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
RyanW
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by RyanW »

Last edited by RyanW on Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
613 Ice Fishing
On Facebook
JZ
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by JZ »

I use a 8 and have not had problems getting fish in, perfect size hole imo but I know there are some people who swear by 10s. As long as you dont spud out a 12-14in hole like some idiots do its all good in my books.
MichaelGA
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MichaelGA »

If you're going after big fish go with the 10" hole.

It's less about getting the fish to fit thru the hole and way more about getting the fish turned into the hole.

With a small walleye or large perch it's easy to over-power them and get them on their side to bring them up the hole.
Think about the strength of head shakes they do in open water... pft.

Now think about a double digit walleye, pike or laker etc. Not about how round/fat they are but about how much pressure they can put out side to side.
Fish don't bend up and down much, you have to turn their head and get em coming up sideways.

An 8" hole means you must make this turn much sharper and faster, a 10" hole gives you more room (ie. turning radius) to get the big guys up.
There is also less of a chance hooking the second treble or other terminal tackle.

Always put your flasher in a second hole, this is where a good 4" hand auger excels, 8 or 10 inch hand augers suck really bad... 4" hand augers burn through ice like you wouldn't believe.

A 6" hand auger is great for early ice when you are exploring for pan fish on the back bays and need to drill quiet.

Also if you're going to pack around 30lbs of gas engine, fuel and auger shaft... do you really save anything by going with 8" instead of 10"

The whole idea of stepping in holes, really depends on where you are fishing. If you are doing BoQ, Lake Simcoe or other highly fished areas then it might factor into your decision. Honestly I barely ever see any other tracks when I go out and can easily avoid the place where they have drilled, unless it is the same as mine then I try to make a hole pretty close to theirs. (it kinda makes me feel special that someone else thinks i'm in the right place)

Another factor to not forget is that we are 'bombarded' with information from the USA... where on many lakes, the ice only gets to 10-14" in a season and a ten inch hole might take weeks to freeze up solid. Up here most holes freeze solid pretty darn quick at most a day or two, many if you are north-west of the Arnprior diagonal weather line they are frozen the same day, this is why you skim holes.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

What I also appreciate about the larger size hole is the leeway it gives you when it's real cold out and your hole has a high shrink factor. Just a thought.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
rex.stpierre
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rex.stpierre »

As it stands, I have the choice of getting one or the other, gas or propane. It has even been suggested that I get an 8 inch with a m19 fuel hammer drill.... I still want a 10 inch....now I'm leaning towards propane... There's actually a sale on Jiffys this week at Canadian tire... I the perfect world. I could afford a strikemaster but not can do...
This year I spent most of my money on beer, women and fishing...the rest I wasted.
nighttroller
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by nighttroller »

I have had a few gas augers over the years. Started with a 9" Jiffy which was great, I liked the bigger holes but I think the thing weighed 38lbs! I walk around on the ice a lot and carrying that around was a killer. I bought the Strikemaster Strikelite which was 19lbs, a huge difference when pulling it around on the clam. Unfortunately I had lots of issues with it and bought the new Honda Strike lite last year. I think it weighs 23lbs and it has a metal auger which fixed the issue with the plastic auger breaking. If weight is an issue then you might want to take a closer look at the Strikemasters and go with a smaller auger.

After a few good reports on the k-drill last year I just ordered the auger and I already have the Milwaukee M18 Drill to go with it. I tested it the other day on 5" of ice and it cut like butter. I can't say how good it is until I use it all season through the thicker ice but from what I have read and been told it will do everything I need and the whole unit only weighs 10 lbs.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

There is no fish anywhere near here that you NEED a 10 inch hole for, 8 is plenty. Like I told you Rex, I will never own a gas auger again!

RJ
rex.stpierre
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rex.stpierre »

RJ wrote:There is no fish anywhere near here that you NEED a 10 inch hole for, 8 is plenty. Like I told you Rex, I will never own a gas auger again!

RJ
Just for you rj, im going to pull a 15lb carp out of the ottawa before the ice melts! I'll make a triple hole for it...

6 * 3.14 = 18.84 .... Thats a bigger girth than any fish ive ever caught around here other than my pb musky and carp...

What we need and what we want are two different things :$ !!! Thanks for your input everyone!

And musky is open till march in zone 8 in qc... Zone 8 covers the Larry! Rediculous but true...
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

10'' is overkill, unless your targeting carp :shock: I've seen too many legs get swallowed and near injuries from 10'' holes. The added weight is just not worth it.
Yakster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Yakster »

I have a 10....8 is plenty for 99% of the fish i catch.
my wife bought the 10 for xmas a couple years ago therefor I will never complain as it would be the last fishing gift I get...lol
canam04
Participant
Participant

Post by canam04 »

I have had a M18 cordless drill for three years now and I use a 8" auger with it. I have had compititions with friends and i win with the cordless every time. I normall fish at shirley's bay and last year we had close to 3 feet of ice and it would eat through the ice like butter. I will never go to a gas auger.
Roblin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Roblin »

I wasn't sure either so I asked my wife who fishes. She says "bigger" is always better. I'd go with that.