Auger Extension?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
pigeon
Participant
Participant

Auger Extension?

Post by pigeon »

I am thinking buy an extension for my ice Auger. I wonder is the extension really require in Feb. around Ottawa area?
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Auger Extension?

Post by smitty55 »

Pigeon I bought my Jiffy back in the eighties from Brittania bait and tackle. I bought an extension at the same time and I have never had to use it, even in March when we used to go up to the Bark Lake area for a long weekend. One year it was close where we had to clear the snow right down to ice level but I never installed it yet.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Feb? No. Late March? Sometimes, but rare.

Last year was nasty as I've seen it in years and didn't require it at all.

RJ
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

I have fished the west end of the Ottawa for a while now and I have never had an issue with my 10" Jiffy not punching through. I guess it depends on where your fishing.
OntarioRider
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by OntarioRider »

I think the only time an extension is required is when you are in a shack or a trailer that is elevated off the ice. I bought one last winter when I bought an old tent trailer converted to ice shack as I was not quite punching through. All good after that.
Troutskiii
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Troutskiii »

Ottawa area it would be a waste of $, up in northern ontario and the artic yes for sure!
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

I have come close to needing one on the Ottawa in some of the shallow bays, a few close calls where I was right down on my knees... but it still went through. I would not reccomend one.
Lunker Larry
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lunker Larry »

In 22 years I've been down close to the handles twice with my 10 inch Jiffy. You won't need one here.
Reminds me of a funny story. While in the military I did six trips to Canadian forces Station Alert which is on the northern tip of Ellesmere Island. When people left the station they had to report in by radio to operations regularly. A group went out to ice fish one day and I remember a solemn voice calling in on the radio "14 feet of ice and we hit gravel". Remembering that always brings a smile to my face.