Can we run ice auger idle without bit attached?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
pigeon
Participant
Participant

Can we run ice auger idle without bit attached?

Post by pigeon »

Hi,

This is my first year own an ice auger but I expect to use it maybe 2 times for the whole season.

I read the manual that say it is good to run the auger once a month during storage.

I will store my auger without the bit attached.

And I planed to run my auger idle without the bit attached.

Is anybody have experience running their auger idle without the bit attached?

I called small engine shop, they said run the engine in idle without the bit attached could damage the auger power head. Is it true?
OntarioRider
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Can we run ice auger idle without bit attached?

Post by OntarioRider »

Cannot see how that would damage it.
I run mine on occasion without the auger attached when tuning it up or just giving it a run in the off ice season.
I am pretty sure when the guys in small engine shops fix them they don't attach an auger to them.
They are easier to work on when they are not standing 4' in the air on the end of the auger.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

If it's just idling then I can't see how it would make any difference as it's not working under load either way. I wouldn't want to rev it up high lots without it working mind you. My power head is strapped in a milk crate except when it's out on the ice working. When I check it out early season to test it you obviously cant run it with the auger on.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Troutskiii
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Troutskiii »

What small engine shop was that? Don't take anything there to get repaired,zero relevance running it with or without attachment. Like a chainsaw without bar/chain, no significance attaching a metal auger bit to the power head I've owned lots of augers and ran them like this.