flouro to braid knots

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: flouro to braid knots

Post by StarTzar »

ShawnD wrote:X3 for the the double uniknot aka blood knot or uni to uni knot.

There's also an alberto knot but I trust the uni to uni knot.
That is what I use. Never broke off. But then again why would it break?
Everyone knows that Team 28 don't catch fish. :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
campnfish
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by campnfish »

I Learned something today - thanks guys.
MichaelGA
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MichaelGA »

For braid to mono / fluoro smaller diameters - The Red Phillips knot... very simple and strong.

If i'm using very large wind on leaders then the FG knot with a tapered cut on the mono / fluoro and half hitches till you are just wrapping braid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... j9I4j0Jj9c

For direct lure attachment I also use the San Diego Jam knot. (the reason it doesn't break is because it is self cushioning, for best strength don't glue it)

For anything that needs a loop the perfection loop is the best as it is straight.
also for bite leaders or flies you can do this way.
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

I love the Sandiego jam know but to date I have only used it for heavier diameter lines that are too thick and stiff for other knots.

I will try for lure attachment....

I second the use of Seagaur. Love the stuff. I use Seaguar AbrazX on my lighter rods and there leader material for general purpose leaders.

I am getting really POd at the abrasion resistance of braid. I lost a number cats last year because of abrasion cuts. I was thinking to moving to moving to something like a 50LB fluro leader just for the abrasion resistance. But the knot may cause another weak point for difficult snags.....
nighttroller
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by nighttroller »

I always used the uni to uni knot but after some failures in tournaments I started to use the Foran knot. Easy to tie and I have never had an issue. Here is a link that shows how to tie it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3GUbY5CNs4 There is another video I have seen where he tests the knot at a fishing show and the line breaks before the knot will break.
SteveO
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by SteveO »

I tied my first Seagur knots last weekend when adding braid, but my jigs do in fact spin like a top when I pull them out of the water - not too comforting observing that! I'd like to add the swivel. Great info here, and I expect to be jamming on a few san diego Jams soon. My formative years of fishing were all done with mono, and I find that there is lots to learn and benefit from using braided lines and fluoro - there are tricks...
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

For ice I use a swivel every time. I dont use a snap at the business end but a fastach. No twist ever.

Open water, Uni to Uni.

RJ
Eli
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Eli »

do you let the swivel pass through your guides and onto your reel when using a long fluoro leader?
MichaelGA
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MichaelGA »

Generally that is a bad idea. You don't need a super long leader when ice fishing.
Eli
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Eli »

not super long, but I like to have a few feet when after sight predators...salmonids, whitefish...
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Eli wrote:do you let the swivel pass through your guides and onto your reel when using a long fluoro leader?
Yes but really only to store the rod. My leader is generally about 3 feet.

RJ