Fishing Sunday at Petrie

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Canmoore
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Fishing Sunday at Petrie

Post by Canmoore »

I will be fishing Sunday at Petrie, and it will be my one and only time out on the ice this year. I was supposed to go with some friends, but they were unable to make it due to last minute circumstances. I really want to catch some fish, so if anyone else will be out at Petrie and would not mind showing a Petrie noob where to fish that would be awesome!
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Fishing Sunday at Petrie

Post by fishin mission »

Canmoore good luck fishing the big ol Petrie toilet bowl where walleyes have 6 eyes ! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Canmoore
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Canmoore »

Caught nothing!! It was a beautiful day though!

Next time I will have to try the dropoff (or so I have been told).
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fishin mission »

Caught nothing!! It was a beautiful day though!
Caught nothing at petrie no way can't be .......i'm shocked :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
fish your toilet bowl next time you'll catch the same !! Be just like being at petrie.
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Wow, Danodouche, your head is clearly stuck so far up...

You have not contributed anything to this site in years but battering non-sense. How has Muskrat been treating you? I'm sure you are just hammering them eh?

Canmoore, hopefully you can score one more outing this year and get redemption on the ice. If I had seen this post earlier I could have pointed you in the direction to a few spots. The Ottawa River is one of my favorite body's of water to fish. Above or below the city...

Don't let the douche fool ya...

fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fishin mission »

well tip up douche bag..... the one fish you caught for the 28 times fishing petrie congrats your my hero and yes we have done good at cobden better than i would ever do in the petrie toilet.
I have contributed more than you think and really why would i contribute anything for douches like yourself.
Not even worth my time.Your not worth this post but i had to reply douche bag! Too many fish police on F-H
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

Canmoore wrote:Caught nothing!! It was a beautiful day though!

Next time I will have to try the dropoff (or so I have been told).
Canmoore,

That’s the way I see it buddy.
Positive thoughts will produce positive outcomes.
As Andrew already said, try to squeeze in one more outing, you need redemption!
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Hey Tip-up.

Is that the same spot JasonB and I went to with you when we got sunked? :lol:

I find that Petrie is indeed tough. My buddy Ray got a 10lb walleye there back in 2012. The shack was moved over that hole and guess what? Not a single walter came through the ice again...

The water quality there is gross. The effluence from the Canotek Sewage plant does indeed run through that stretch. Sadly its a stretch of the Ottawa that holds a great deal of species.

Canmoore. Like I said. Hit the drop off or the point. Walleye within the bay are hit and miss.
Seaweed
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Seaweed »

Oh the winter blues set in and the internet sniping begins... lol
Ok yes Petrie is a tough fish... but it is a safe spot to fish. Walters although tough to find are in the area and some are comparable to Bay of Quinte standards but due to the tough conditions many choose to head to Quinte and .... get skunked ... but this has little to do with availability but rather poor skills at walleye ice fishing.
Over the years I lived in Orleans I got frustrated often fishing Petrie but I learned skills that will help me catch many more Walters elsewhere and the dead time helped me master the art of moving... checking new areas and trying different techniques. Overall Petrie is the spot to learn because it is safe, has plenty of anglers in the area who are willing to discuss and share what they have learned ... and has a great bait shop staffed by friendly and informed workers ... can't think of too many spots that I have enjoyed ... and put more time in than the Ottawa. Keep at it... you will be rewarded when you least expect it then figure what you did to get that reward... rinse and repeat.

Calm down fellas... life is too short to bash away at each other. Good defense Tippy ... great to see you on the board again.
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Seaweed wrote:Oh the winter blues set in and the internet sniping begins... lol
Seaweed, you know I don't get the winter blues lol. Hope all is well with you buddy!
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

fishin mission wrote:well tip up douche bag..... the one fish you caught for the 28 times fishing petrie congrats your my hero and yes we have done good at cobden better than i would ever do in the petrie toilet.
I have contributed more than you think and really why would i contribute anything for douches like yourself.
Not even worth my time.Your not worth this post but i had to reply douche bag! Too many fish police on F-H

Why are you such a d :idea: ckhead?
Maybe if you asked your dealer to sell you some of that relaxing herb... You'd be nicer? :lol:
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Fishing at Petrie can be tough but you can still be successful during the day by staying mobile if its walleye your after. Also, you really need to be species specific when picking what baits to use and locations. That's in that area anyways. The guys that just punch two holes and say ''I'm just going for anything that bites today'' are usually the ones that have a bit more trouble. It really is a fish factory, and one of the reasons is the amount of baitfish that place harbours.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

I do not disagree.

Yes there are good walters, ling, sauger, perch, crappie and odd sturgeon to be had.

I'm from Missourri....I need PROOF.

I have tried for years to snag a good walter at Petrie.

I have bought lures, minnows, rods etc
Been very mobile....the drop-off, the points, the bay etc.

I have yet to even have a walleye bite!

I have fished on warm sunny days, cold sunny days, early, late, cold cloudy days, snow falls etc....

It certainly is NOT from a lack of trying. I can assure you that.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

My ice fishing outings have fallen in numbers in the last few years but one thing for sure is that Petrie is a walleye factory. I haven't been skunked fishing at Petrie in the last 10 years. And I've had many many days of multiple walleyes. I've seen many days of 20 or over. You just have to move around and find them. I still got out a few times a year but my running and gunning days a behind me. I have a few fav. spots that I am always able to catch a few.

Water quality at Petrie has improved a lot. We don't hear as many horror stories about sewer overflow anymore (i guess the sewer work that the City is doing really helps.)

What I like of Petrie is that within 10 minutes from leaving home I can pickup bait and be fishing. I usually stay away from the crowds.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
Canmoore
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Canmoore »

I have been to Petrie many times over the past few years. I have caught a dinky walleye, and Sauger in all that time, but I still go back.

Why? Because it is close to home, and has a great baitshop on site. I am a University student, and I have two young kids so I do not get out as much as I would like to. Before kids and School, I would go to far flung places like Quinte, Silver, Simcoe, Calabogie back lakes, and many other lakes. I have caught lots of fish ice fishing, but the past few years I have not gone very often.

I will continue to to go Petrie because I do not need to travel far, and I do not need to go out of my way to buy bait. Next time I will try the drop off!

I learned a valuable lesson yesterday though! Always resharpen your auger blades every season! I have never sharpened my blades, and I have never had an issue drilling holes...until yesterday!

The blades were as dull as a butter knife, my arm still hurts from the herculean effort yesterday. I planned on running and gunning to find some fish, but after 40 minutes to drill two holes I barely had enough strength in my arms to hold my rod lol! So I stayed in the same spot for 4 hours, it was a warm day and I just enjoying the silence and the view.

I hope that maybe, just maybe I can squeeze another trip in February. However, I am doing some volunteer work through my University with Environment Canada so I am unsure how much time I will have on weekends. Thanks for all the helpful, and encouraging replies!