Fishing Science. Fight Stress on Bass

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Fishing Science. Fight Stress on Bass

Post by smitty55 »

Smitty

Straight shooter
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Fishing Science. Fight Stress on Bass

Post by ShawnD »

Got to take care of those fish!

In my old boat I used to run my pumps all day, add rejuvenate to the water and always check on them every 40-60minutes..

Whenever one seems to start going belly up, I would put it in its own livewell and hold it in its correct position until it can hold itself.
Most time it was the biggest one, being by itself with running water seems to always bring them back.

Interesting read for sure.
Good on you Carleton University !
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
xped
Participant
Participant

Post by xped »

It would be interesting to know if the size/age of the fish caught also played a role in the stress levels achieved.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

I could be wrong in my thinking, but I always figured that a caught fish would be better able to recover from stress if it was released back into the water, rather than put in a relatively small live well in a boat, even if additives are used. I fully understand the need for tournaments of course, but I've never agreed with keeping fish that are to be released, in a live well for hours just for the sake of taking pictures later.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter