Muskrat Lake first visit

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
canam04
Participant
Participant

Muskrat Lake first visit

Post by canam04 »

I am heading to Muskrat Lake in a couple of weeks and have never fished this lake. I have never fished for lake trout through the ice and I heard Muskrat has some. If anyone could help me out with some local know how that would be great. I am wondering what species are common in this lake and what are the types of lures or bait being used in the area. like I said I have never fished for lake trout through the ice and want to make the most of this visit so if anyone could help with what species, best time of day to fish for what species and what bait is working best it would be much appreciated.
laker taker
Participant
Participant

Re: Muskrat Lake first visit

Post by laker taker »

Hey Canam04 it is a good lake with lots of different fish. Lakers, walleye, pike, perch you name it. If you latch on to a
Sturgeon be sure to release it right away or it could cost you. Cobden end is good for pike, walley and perch as it is shallow and weedy. Dead sticken with shiners or suckers works good. Hit the deeper water for the lakers down near the trailer parks and well past. 40 to 200 ft of water. Start jigging from the bottom and go up with spoons or tubes you may get a few good ones.
My biggest laker was 10 lb. but I know guys that got them much bigger. If you are into the smelts/herring they are in there.
There is a derby on this weekend Feb 7 at the launch at cobden. Give it a go.
Good luck, Laker
canam04
Participant
Participant

Post by canam04 »

Thanks for the info. Maybe I will try for some Lakers during the day and then try for walleye and pike at sunset. I normally fish shirley's bay so not really familiar with big fish so that is why a trip to muskrat is planned. Will post any good pics from the day.
Stickleback
Participant
Participant

Post by Stickleback »

I've been wanting to try ice fishing Muskrat for a while now, and might have a free Saturday near the end of February. Does anyone know of a way to access the deeper section of that lake other than the Cobden boat launch? I would be walking, and it looks to be a bit of a walk to the 80+ depths I would be looking for to target Lakers if I had to walk from there...
laker taker
Participant
Participant

Post by laker taker »

Just go to Mcfarlane rd. about a Km. or so past cobden .Walk out 100 yards or so and your in 100 plus ft.
Laker
BackwoodsFishing
Participant
Participant

Post by BackwoodsFishing »

I always had some luck going out from the far side of the lake(across from the boat launch) and anywhere past the trailer park.
I'm_A_Drifter
Participant
Participant

Post by I'm_A_Drifter »

Nothing like hooking into a laker whilst perch fishing in 12 fow.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

I think there are some hydrographic maps on line. Would certainly help give you a better idea of the lake.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

It baffles me why Muskrat Lake is not on Navionics yet.......along with a few other lakes, like Palmerston and Clear. :( :( :roll:
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
Terry in Almonte
Participant
Participant

Post by Terry in Almonte »

I have the Navionics app on my cell phone and it shows Muskrat Lake.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

That is correct. Muskrat was added something like the week after we had our tournament on it this year!
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

I just checked on my Navionics app on my phone......NO Muskrat Lake. :? :?

......but that could just be because I'm too much of a cheap lil' mofo to pay for the $10.99 upgrade :lol: :lol:
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"