Tatsu vs. Shooter - A little Help?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
OutdoorActionOntario
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant
Location: Ottawa Region, Georgian Bay region, Kawartha Lakes Region

Re: Tatsu vs. Shooter - A little Help?

Post by OutdoorActionOntario »

Is it pathetic that I could talk about fishing line all day long? LOL. Can't help it... I truly feel it is an important and often times under-looked facet of the techniques we all use to enhance our catch rates...

Also, thanks to ShawnD and Adam for your comments. Always good to hear from you dudes.

I love this conversation, and just wanted to add a wee bit more.

FYI I use a 10 or 15 pound powerpro braid on my spinning set-ups with 12 pound seaguar leader material (it's diameter is equivalent to most 8 pound flouros and it is stronger yet more supple than mainline fluoro's) and this set-up has been KILLER for the last two years. You get the sensitivity and power of the braid along with a little flex and invisibility/stealth from the leader material. I have never had as much success as the past two years and it is extremely rare I lose a fish or break off - and my knot-tying skills have increased tremendously. Tubes, grubs, flukes, worms, dropshotting, swimbaits, you name it, they all pound the fish on this set-up for me.

On my "power" set-ups i.e. baitcasters, I also like 17 pound fluoro straight up in early season (with less weed growth in the water) and will beef that up to 20 lb. by the middle of july/early August when the weeds are choking most waterways. I had good use out of Seaguar Abrazx last season but I think i'm going with Sunline Shooter this year... Of course I still utilize 65 pound powerpro braid on my true flipping stick along with a 7:1 ratio reel for really beating up on bruiser bass in heavy cover.

Here's a weird twist though: On my topwater reels, I throw 50 lb. powerpro braid with a MONO leader. Weird, eh? I started using Trilene XT in a stiff 17 lb. test (it sounds like a lot, i know) but I found that with this set-up, the fish were basically hooking themselves and my connection rates skyrocketed on topwater. They would roll on my topwater and when I felt the weight of the fish I didn't have to do more then reel down and gently sweep the hook back, and those fish were STUCK. On a particularly good morning I was yelping with joy in the middle of Buckhorn Lake as I peeled back 10 smallies on 10 casts - all with this braid/mono set-up. I really felt I was on to something and since then my confidence has been sky-high with this set-up for my topwaters... I can't tell you how much I rocked it last summer using that specific set-up. This season I'm going to drop down to the 14 lb. test on the Trilene XT as a leader, and I guarantee the success will continue... I also might try some P-Line flouroclear copolymer in the 15 lb. test, but I heard it sinks a bit so that just might be a short-term experiment as opposed to a set-up I will run with long-term.

Anyways, just wanted to add to the mix here, appreciate all the feedback. Cheers everyone!

~OAO~
OutdoorActionOntario - Ottawa ON
curls
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by curls »

I could definitely see how a mono leader on topwater would work - especially-so in open water. It acts as a shock leader so you're not yanking the lure and business-end from the fishes' mouth as easily.
Are you using the same setup for frogs? I would hesitate to try that, as the weed-cutting thin diameter of braid, to me, is a HUGE plus when slop fishing. I have learned that a slightly softer tip on a frog rod is a thing of beauty as it acts as the shock absorber (or premature e-jerk-ulation avoidance device!). Instead of counting to 2 Mississippi's, I just lean back and winch the fish in as the soft tip makes a massive difference in hookup ratio.
OutdoorActionOntario
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

curls wrote:I could definitely see how a mono leader on topwater would work - especially-so in open water. It acts as a shock leader so you're not yanking the lure and business-end from the fishes' mouth as easily.
Are you using the same setup for frogs? I would hesitate to try that, as the weed-cutting thin diameter of braid, to me, is a HUGE plus when slop fishing. I have learned that a slightly softer tip on a frog rod is a thing of beauty as it acts as the shock absorber (or premature e-jerk-ulation avoidance device!). Instead of counting to 2 Mississippi's, I just lean back and winch the fish in as the soft tip makes a massive difference in hookup ratio.
Yes, that is a great way to put it, that it acts as a shock leader. It totally does make a difference.

As for frogs, there are two different scenarios under which I change my approach:

1. Lighter cover, lily pads that break into open water - I go with the braid/mono set-up still. Have not had any issues whatsoever with making connection when needed and as the cover is light, I'm not finding that to be an impediment. Plus I like to keep working the frog back in the open water, as I have had countless strikes over the years well out from the pads that were my initial target. I like to catch those "followers" and I feel having the leader in this situation helps with that...

2. heavier cover/slop/mats: Here I do go with a straight braid and I usually go right up to 65, although sometimes when lazy or pushed on time I just break my mono leader off and use the 50 lb. power pro. Either way I employ a 7:1 reel with this application - great for turning the heads of the fish up right away and getting their momentum going towards you - right where you want them.
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

OutdoorActionOntario wrote:Is it pathetic that I could talk about fishing line all day long? LOL. Can't help it... I truly feel it is an important and often times under-looked facet of the techniques we all use to enhance our catch rates...

Also, thanks to ShawnD and Adam for your comments. Always good to hear from you dudes.

FYI I use a 10 or 15 pound powerpro braid on my spinning set-ups with 12 pound seaguar leader material (it's diameter is equivalent to most 8 pound flouros and it is stronger yet more supple than mainline fluoro's) and this set-up has been KILLER for the last two years. You get the sensitivity and power of the braid along with a little flex and invisibility/stealth from the leader material. I have never had as much success as the past two years and it is extremely rare I lose a fish or break off - and my knot-tying skills have increased tremendously. Tubes, grubs, flukes, worms, dropshotting, swimbaits, you name it, they all pound the fish on this set-up for me.

On my "power" set-ups i.e. baitcasters, I also like 17 pound fluoro straight up in early season (with less weed growth in the water) and will beef that up to 20 lb. by the middle of july/early August when the weeds are choking most waterways. I had good use out of Seaguar Abrazx last season but I think i'm going with Sunline Shooter this year... Of course I still utilize 65 pound powerpro braid on my true flipping stick along with a 7:1 ratio reel for really beating up on bruiser bass in heavy cover.

Here's a weird twist though: On my topwater reels, I throw 50 lb. powerpro braid with a MONO leader. Weird, eh? I started using Trilene XT in a stiff 17 lb. test (it sounds like a lot, i know) but I found that with this set-up, the fish were basically hooking themselves and my connection rates skyrocketed on topwater. They would roll on my topwater and when I felt the weight of the fish I didn't have to do more then reel down and gently sweep the hook back, and those fish were STUCK. On a particularly good morning I was yelping with joy in the middle of Buckhorn Lake as I peeled back 10 smallies on 10 casts - all with this braid/mono set-up. I really felt I was on to something and since then my confidence has been sky-high with this set-up for my topwaters... I can't tell you how much I rocked it last summer using that specific set-up. This season I'm going to drop down to the 14 lb. test on the Trilene XT as a leader, and I guarantee the success will continue... I also might try some P-Line flouroclear copolymer in the 15 lb. test, but I heard it sinks a bit so that just might be a short-term experiment as opposed to a set-up I will run with long-term.

Anyways, just wanted to add to the mix here, appreciate all the feedback. Cheers everyone!

~OAO~
...what about Jerkbaits? :lol: :lol:
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
BradGuenette
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BradGuenette »

TheMaverick wrote:
OutdoorActionOntario wrote:Is it pathetic that I could talk about fishing line all day long? LOL. Can't help it... I truly feel it is an important and often times under-looked facet of the techniques we all use to enhance our catch rates...

~OAO~

Straight mono 8-)
Brad Guenette
Swimbait Canada
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

BradGuenette wrote:
TheMaverick wrote:

~OAO~

Straight mono 8-)
Thanks for the reply Brad, I'll be sticking to mono! ;)
OutdoorActionOntario
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

I throw jerk's (hard and soft, love Zoom fluke soft jerks) on 15 lb. power pro with the 12 lb. test seaguar leader, crucial jerkbait rod with Stradic Ci4+. If i'm in musky/pike territory I might throw the spool with 20 lb. test on but not usually as it dilutes the action somewhat. Always with the fluoro leader for sure, though. I really don't throw a lot of jerk baits though. More of a swim bait guy but if I do throw them, like I said, i love the zoom flukes. You can really get them moving well through the water column.

How many more months until Bass opens again? D'oh!

~OAO~
OutdoorActionOntario
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

I like using braid for jerkin' because it really gives a good suspending motion through the water column as you rip the lure back, and you get the stretch and sink you need from the leader material to avoid the issueof braid rippin' lips and line wrapping in your trebles if you were just throwing straight braid.
Corey Gaffney
Participant
Participant

Post by Corey Gaffney »

Both these two lines are premium fluorocarbon. I'm a fan of the tatsu in 6-8 lb for light spinning gear applications. It's more supple then your average Fluro but still holds up well with minimal strectch. The sun line I have not had a lot of experience with. I use fluro for these presentations:
Crank baits, spinnerbaits, jerkbaits and flipping around hard cover or any sort of dragging where I need a line that's more abrasive.
With exception to jerkbaits in the cold fall/winter months I switch to mono, mainly cause it floats and prevents the bait from a slow sink.
With fluro try tying a double uni knot it will hold better.

Tight lines

Corey
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Well,

I still have nothing more to add to this but I did get a steal of a deal at Ed's on some Tatsu!

Because of this thread and a great price, I will finally get to try her out and I will try to report back once the temps warm up.
zeke13
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by zeke13 »

TheMaverick wrote:Now that the OP’s question has been answered, it’s fair enough that we deviate.
For those of you with dedicated jerkbait combos, would you rather use braid/fluoro leader or straight Fluoro?

Ever since the last Bass Talk (last year), I’ve been hesitant in regards to what line to use after hearing Charles mentioning he used braid/fluoro leader for a better hook up ratio, no stretch, and a better action when jerking.

When it comes to treble lures and braid, I’ve been reluctant in using braid in fear of ripping them out the smallies mouth, I guess that’s where a properly set drag will make a difference?

Any of you using braid for jerkbaits? Experiences, thoughts.

Thanks!

Mav,

If you remember, Charles also said that he uses a spinning rod and a rather flexible one at that ... so in the end he relies on the rod to absorb more and the line to react more.

My setup is a bait caster that is, dare I say, stiffer that Charles', and use straight flouro whereby the line absorbs/stretches more an the rod reacts quicker.

In the end, its all about the "feel" and preference but in both setups, the "give" might be the same.

Andrew
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

zeke13 wrote:
TheMaverick wrote:Now that the OP’s question has been answered, it’s fair enough that we deviate.
For those of you with dedicated jerkbait combos, would you rather use braid/fluoro leader or straight Fluoro?

Ever since the last Bass Talk (last year), I’ve been hesitant in regards to what line to use after hearing Charles mentioning he used braid/fluoro leader for a better hook up ratio, no stretch, and a better action when jerking.

When it comes to treble lures and braid, I’ve been reluctant in using braid in fear of ripping them out the smallies mouth, I guess that’s where a properly set drag will make a difference?

Any of you using braid for jerkbaits? Experiences, thoughts.

Thanks!

Mav,

If you remember, Charles also said that he uses a spinning rod and a rather flexible one at that ... so in the end he relies on the rod to absorb more and the line to react more.

My setup is a bait caster that is, dare I say, stiffer that Charles', and use straight flouro whereby the line absorbs/stretches more an the rod reacts quicker.

In the end, its all about the "feel" and preference but in both setups, the "give" might be the same.

Andrew
Andrew,

You're absolutely right! Good catch, thanks!
Based on your reply, and taking into account my rod is a medium, regular action, I'll be going with fluoro.
Last edited by TheMaverick on Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cndbasshunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cndbasshunter »

The past few years i;ve used 20lb SX1 with a 12-14lb fc leader. I'll add another combo this year using straight 10lb reaction FC, ive been recommended by a few to try this setup.
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

cndbasshunter wrote:The past few years i;ve used 20lb SX1 with a 12-14lb fc leader. I'll add another combo this year using straight 10lb reaction FC, ive been recommended by a few to try this setup.
I'm guessing that this is for crankbaiting!
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
cndbasshunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cndbasshunter »

StarTzar wrote:
cndbasshunter wrote:The past few years i;ve used 20lb SX1 with a 12-14lb fc leader. I'll add another combo this year using straight 10lb reaction FC, ive been recommended by a few to try this setup.
I'm guessing that this is for crankbaiting!
jerkbaits...i go lighter for cranks, 16lb sx1 and 10lb fc leader.