Fishing Mishaps

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Fishing Mishaps

Post by Kerrazy »

Proof of Concept Epic Fail!

So i peddled my boat, yet kept my 55lb thrust Bow Mounted Wireless trolling motor.
Itching to get out on the water, I figured well I have my canoe, why not make a wicked fast canoe.... Simple enough.

So off to the drawing board, make a quick and dirty setup and off I go for testing proof of concept.

Well 55b Thrust Bow Mount Wireless is not a light set up, and of course it also requires a fairly hefty battery, but I figure it will all be fine.

So at Baie McLaurin, and start putting it all together, and left my transducer connected yet neglected to really keep the wire neatly secured.

Set off and man... Wahoo it works this is awesome..... yet I can here tick tick tick, as the prop brushes the loose transducer wire.

hmmm... I really need to fix that. So with out thinking.... Begin dumb butt move now - I slowly make my way up to the front of the canoe, and well its not as easy to flip a TM up on a canoe as it is on the Bow of your boat. So a couple yanks and I finally get the momentum needed, yep that momentum that continues as I do one of those amazingly incredible everything passes in slow motion right in front of your eyes, yet you can not do anything about it..... Splash, Me Canoe tackle box Cellphone, @ packs of Cigs, you name it.... oh and sh#$ the battery quick grab it........ Nothing like holding on to a damn battery and canoe and tackle box and you name it! #NailedIt

collected everything amazingly in 12ft of water was able to right the canoe, get crap back in and was to exhausted to get my self in so pushed my canoe back defeated and down a brand new iPhone 5 and pack of smokes and dignity.... All else was saved.

But it worked.... Now to refine it! and a lot less to lose next time, I have since quit smoking and have apple care on the new iPhone! #BringItOn
Kerrazy

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll Go Fishing!"- Thoreau
I'd like to thank my sponsors:
Interac - Be in the Black
Jerry, my neighbour, who foolishly leaves his shed and truck open, so I can try all the latest gear!
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

Kerrazy wrote: apple care on the new iPhone! #BringItOn
Apples rep says "Would you be interested in Apple Care for your iPhone sir ?"
I'd be Kerrazy not to, let me tell you why...lolol0lol ;)
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Lvace »

A mishap that just happened to me is drive in on Muskrat fish all day get one little smelt all the while its snowing and the wind is going and on your way out get stuck with your 4wd Tribute on a rather large snow drift..... Lucky for me Fishaholic and Eric where right behind me to help with shovels and pushes..... Note to self get a real 4x4 not a dinky SUV...... :oops:
Haulin Bass
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Haulin Bass »

... wrote:A mishap that just happened to me is drive in on Muskrat fish all day get one little smelt all the while its snowing and the wind is going and on your way out get stuck with your 4wd Tribute on a rather large snow drift..... Lucky for me Fishaholic and Eric where right behind me to help with shovels and pushes..... Note to self get a real 4x4 not a dinky SUV...... :oops:
Hey triple d(ot) Right now on parts of Muskrat it is not vehicle friendly. Drifts are deep. Got stuck three times with my full size 4x4 last Sun trying to get back off the ice. Needless to say yesterday I walked on :)
Water starting to come out of your holes now and making things slushy
Doug
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Doug »

Haulin Bass wrote:
... wrote:A mishap that just happened to me is drive in on Muskrat fish all day get one little smelt all the while its snowing and the wind is going and on your way out get stuck with your 4wd Tribute on a rather large snow drift..... Lucky for me Fishaholic and Eric where right behind me to help with shovels and pushes..... Note to self get a real 4x4 not a dinky SUV...... :oops:
Hey triple d(ot) Right now on parts of Muskrat it is not vehicle friendly. Drifts are deep. Got stuck three times with my full size 4x4 last Sun trying to get back off the ice. Needless to say yesterday I walked on :)
Water starting to come out of your holes now and making things slushy
Heavy slush being reported on all our back lakes around Kingston............but maybe somebody will bury their mode of conveyance in a slush-hole and thereafter be able to relate a fishing mishap........ :roll:

Doug
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

August 2010

Had plans to go fishing on the Saturday.

The day before at the gym I decide its "leg day"

So squats, lunges, leg press, calf raises, etc etc.....
Barely able to take the stairs afterwards.

Saturday AM rolls around....I awake early to head out and jump outta bed.
My legs had different plans and buckled. Here is Jimmy on the bedroom floor.

Uh OH

So I take a little more time to get ready than usual and meet up with my buddy.
I am hobbling like a 90 year old trying not to $hit themselves.

We take his ride to our spot for the day...we are shorefishing btw....

Guess what! Huge boulders to walk down.... :(

I start walking down and tumble. My tackle bag opens to scatter tackle all over and I break a rod tip on one of my rods.....

My buddy is laughing his arse off!

So I retrieve my gear and my dignity and sit and fish the rest of the day.

Happily I did land more walleye than him that day! :D
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

Jimmy_1 wrote:Happily I did land more walleye than him that day! :D

SILVER LINING :lol:
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

ShawnD wrote:
Jimmy_1 wrote:Happily I did land more walleye than him that day! :D

SILVER LINING :lol:
That and the rod repair was covered by warranty.

Needless to say I do legs on Tuesdays now.
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Kerrazy »

Jimmy_1 wrote:August 2010

Uh OH

I start walking down and tumble. My tackle bag opens to scatter tackle all over and I break a rod tip on one of my rods.....

Exactly why I never work out...
Kerrazy

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll Go Fishing!"- Thoreau
I'd like to thank my sponsors:
Interac - Be in the Black
Jerry, my neighbour, who foolishly leaves his shed and truck open, so I can try all the latest gear!
curls
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by curls »

LOL! I learned the hard way - never work out legs OR shoulders the day before a tournament! Legs - can't stand for 9+ hours without wanting to die. Shoulders - good luck flipping and pitching if you can barely move your arms!

Jimmy_1 wrote:August 2010

Uh OH

Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

NOT A FISHING MISHAP...BUT STILL FUNNY

This one time we had taken a friend along to the gym.
He wanted to start working out and also to check the place out.

He came along with me and my buddy Ian and worked out. After we were done at the gym we went back to my buddy's house to use his pool.

It was about 3ish in the afternoon on a July Saturday. Ian graciously makes protein shakes for all of us to which we all drink them.Our buddy telling us he had never had a protein shake before.

About a half hour later buddy starts telling us he has a date later that night....... :shock:

Ian and I start to LAUGH!

"What is so funny?"

"Dude! You should have said earlier you had a date! I wouldn't have given you that shake!"

"Uh why?"

"Man! That shake had 2 scoops of whey, egg whites, bran, wheat germ and berries in it!.....You are going to be FARTING up a STORM!"

Apparently he clenched his teeth alot on that date.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
MichaelGA
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MichaelGA »

Out fishing with the daughter at a nearby river. Catching lots of Dace and SM Bass while wading in the shallows.

3.5yr old daughter is hauling them in on a tight line rod with a wooly bugger on the tippet. (think cane pole fishing but down sized).

Move down the river a bit in front of a spot of grass on the shore where sun bathers and swimmers are hanging out. They are dutifully impressed by the daughter catching so many. Proud Papa looks on, then she hooks a Pumpkinseed (her absolute favorite) and starts to get all excited and jump around, in the process she knocks my decades old oilskin outback hat off.

Yup it lands in the current, I plunk her on shore and tell her to wait there and hand her my rod.
I start wading through waste deep water trying to catch it, not going to happen that way so I do a most ungraceful belly flop and start swimming after it.
Now I'm slowly catching up to the hat in about 3' of water, yay me!

Then I hear her voice. "My Daddy's in the water! My Daddy's in the water!"
Oh crap... the people on the beach will surely hear, visions of 911 calls and Fire departments start flying through my head.

FFS - I stand up to show her everything is OK, but she's not having it.

I see a few people now coming over to her, so I sigh and walk back to shore, while looking over my shoulder watching my hat slowly fade into the distance.

I get to shore, my daughter is explaining to a couple of people that "Her Daddy lost his hat and is now all wet!"
They wander away, I can't remember what I said to them because I was too conflicted.

I lost my hat, but it was a pretty good reaction from someone her age, can't really be upset about it.
(got a new identical hat but it's not decades old and just doesn't feel the same :cry: )

Now she constantly reminds me to not loose my hat when we go out... even when ice fishing. :lol:
canam04
Participant
Participant

Post by canam04 »

I was at Shirley's bay on Saturday and while there my son and I saw this guy setting up to do some wind surfing? we watched him setup his gear and he looked to be ready to get into the air so we got out and watched. First attempt failed, so did the second and third try as well. with each failed attempt he would have to take off his gear and reset his strings and kite and it took about 10 minutes each time. On the fourth attempt I told my son this would be the last time we would watch him try and if he didn't get up then we would have to leave so we got out of the vehicle and started to watch, along with several other people on shore and on the ice watching and adding to the pressure that this poor guy must have felt. I won't tell you how the fourth attempt went just watch the video. ENJOY :banana-parachute:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u2qjxK ... e=youtu.be
Jholder
Participant
Participant

Post by Jholder »

canam04 wrote:I was at Shirley's bay on Saturday and while there my son and I saw this guy setting up to do some wind surfing? we watched him setup his gear and he looked to be ready to get into the air so we got out and watched. First attempt failed, so did the second and third try as well. with each failed attempt he would have to take off his gear and reset his strings and kite and it took about 10 minutes each time. On the fourth attempt I told my son this would be the last time we would watch him try and if he didn't get up then we would have to leave so we got out of the vehicle and started to watch, along with several other people on shore and on the ice watching and adding to the pressure that this poor guy must have felt. I won't tell you how the fourth attempt went just watch the video. ENJOY :banana-parachute:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u2qjxK ... e=youtu.be
Powered Paragliding i believe its called.
:lol: boy o boy thats good, cant say id likely do much better though.
grizz
Participant
Participant

Post by grizz »

Almost funny as the guy asking for tips about lakers in Shirley's Bay. :text-imwithstupid: