Fishing Mishaps

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
riverdog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Fishing Mishaps

Post by riverdog »

I once posted a pic with to much background showing...you guys know the rest lol
Fishing the St.Lawrence 12 months a year!
Maple
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Maple »

Here's another one.

Thursday May 5, 1983.

Dad, my buddy Bob and I paddled and portaged into Algonquin Park as soon as we could after the ice was off. We fished Louisa the first night and managed a few decent lakers, but that was not our ultimate destination. Another day of hard work got us to Stringer Lake (see footnote). We set up a sheltered camp on the west side and fished, catching and releasing 9 of 10 speckles to 3 1/2 pounds.

Saturday brought rain and temps of only 4 degrees C, and a strong north wind. We were prepared for that. But it got colder. Much colder.

That evening the temperature plummeted, and it started to snow. With the wind churning the small lake into a froth, we stayed in the sack. No fire, no supper, no fishing. We had all our clothes on in the sleeping bags and still froze. We had to put limbs under the tent fly to keep it from being whipped to bits, and build a wind break out of the canoe and branches.

All day Sunday we cowered in the tent, eating gorp and other snacks, the wind and cold unabated. No way we could leave now.

Funny thing is, I told my wife, if the weather turned bad, we'd be home late, my buddy told his wife, if the weather turned bad, we'd be home early. We were experiencing noteably bad weather, and frantic phone calls were made by the wives to each other.

Monday was cold as stink, very windy, but clear. We decided to pack up and go.

The wind had dropped trees across portages, the rain had left rushing torrents and frozen bogs to wade.

The paddle across Louisa was the worst. Wind, waves, cold, and nobody else there. But we made it safely by hugging the shore on the lee side.

That weekend, 3 people died in the Park. Reports on the radio saying a father and son had perished. Thus the frantic states of our wives.

footnote. Stringer Lake is now a no fishing zone. It used to be a source of fish used for stocking until the indians netted it out. So it's closed.
Last edited by Maple on Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fishoholic
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fishoholic »

Nice stories all around, some hilarious, some close calls. A lot of these stories had me laughing out loud and occasionally people around me would ask what's so funny, but they just wouldn't get it! It was looking like no one was going to post anything on this after the first day but once the ball got rolling the stories started coming in left and right! Even better than I could have ever imagined! Thanks boys and girls and keep em flowin!
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

That is some good stuff here!

Remind me to stay away from Doug. :lol:

RJ
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

RJ wrote:That is some good stuff here!

Remind me to stay away from Doug. :lol:

RJ

RJ stay away from Doug
River Monster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by River Monster »

TheMaverick wrote:
lape0019 wrote:Finally remember one of my finer moments.
I can think of one more, just saying!ImageImageImage
Every Wednesday night during the summer for the past years I meet up with a good friend Adam(lape0019) and fish after work until dark. We meet up at either his place(I say hi to his wife and kids) or at the ramp and fish for few hours on the Rideau. Sometimes we talk and sometimes we just fish quietly and enjoy our surroundings.

One beautiful evening as the sun was setting, the crickets and bull frogs were singing, the water was dead calm(ok this may be all a little over exaggerated). Anyway as we fished in silences, out of the blue Adam just says “I love you”. Now not sure what to think, I did what any man would do and just pretended I didn’t hear it :shock: . Finally after about 10 long seconds, he finally started to back pedal :lol: . He made up some excuse about telling his wife that he loves her randomly. :roll:

And seeing as he didn’t have too much to post in the way off his fishing mishaps, I thought I would take the time to remind him of this one. :lol: What are friends for.
- Rick Ozga
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

River Monster wrote:
TheMaverick wrote:
Every Wednesday night during the summer for the past years I meet up with a good friend Adam(lape0019) and fish after work until dark. We meet up at either his place(I say hi to his wife and kids) or at the ramp and fish for few hours on the Rideau. Sometimes we talk and sometimes we just fish quietly and enjoy our surroundings.

One beautiful evening as the sun was setting, the crickets and bull frogs were singing, the water was dead calm(ok this may be all a little over exaggerated). Anyway as we fished in silences, out of the blue Adam just says “I love you”. Now not sure what to think, I did what any man would do and just pretended I didn’t hear it :shock: . Finally after about 10 long seconds, he finally started to back pedal :lol: . He made up some excuse about telling his wife that he loves her randomly. :roll:

And seeing as he didn’t have too much to post in the way off his fishing mishaps, I thought I would take the time to remind him of this one. :lol: What are friends for.
Priceless! Rick wins Internet! Image
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

River Monster wrote: ...Anyway as we fished in silences, out of the blue Adam just says “I love you”...
TIL, Adam is a happy alcoholic.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Oh Craig,

I wish that were the case...

Unfortunately I was sober and wasn't thinking clearly.

Just one of the dumber things to come out of my mouth while fishing.
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

lape0019 wrote:Oh Craig,

I wish that were the case...

Unfortunately I was sober and wasn't thinking clearly.

Just one of the dumber things to come out of my mouth while fishing.
I'll not comment on this one .... :|
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

River Monster wrote:
TheMaverick wrote:

My eyes are full of tears and i can't stop laughing ....
:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

We love you too Adam. 8)
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

River Monster wrote:
TheMaverick wrote:

Sweet a fish-hawk bromance
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

CN wrote: Sweet a fish-hawk bromance
Not without brojobs.
Doug
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Doug »

cprince wrote:
CN wrote: Sweet a fish-hawk bromance
Not without brojobs.
EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

[quote="StarTzar" I'll not comment on this one .... :|[/quote]

Now THAT qualifies as a Fish-Hawk mishap IMO. Gets my vote :lol: :lol:

Sorry Frank, or is it Francois? I couldn't resist hehehe...

Cheers :)
Smitty

Straight shooter