7 pounder basses on the Ottawa????

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

Well one dream already came true.... :wink:
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

I say no doubt they in there,but gettin one out like CCB says,is right down close to impossible,not totally but close to it.My biggest of 2 years probly 3 was hauled 2 weeks ago on and CCB will love this one A SUPER SPOOK :D At approx 9pm just off a weed line in bout 8ft of water.Now the pics are on my fathers digi and he will have em to me tonight or tomorow,this fish was 22" long but wasnt over 5lbs might even be shy of 5 :oops: But as RJ and others have agreed on alot of people over guess thier fish,no problem with that but a 7lb largie is gonna look like a 7lb largie!!!

Good thread and come on CCB you got more pot stirrin left dont ya :wink: :wink: :wink: :twisted:

T.L F.F
MichaelVandenberg
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MichaelVandenberg »

nighttroller
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by nighttroller »

There is no doubt there are monster bass in the Ottawa. There was a post on Ottawa.fishing.com two years ago in the fall with pics of a 6+ and 8+. Here is the link http://www.ottawafishing.com/view_messa ... fm?id=6947. I have heard of other 7+ as well.
nighttroller
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by nighttroller »

Mike beat me to it!
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

Sry sweet pigs for sure but if that fish is an 8lber I gotta fish tourneys if they will judge that at 8lbs :shock:

Sry but not 8lbs not even close!!!!

T.L F.F

Post by Guest »

Ah, the good old weight issue. :) I'm glad it's not just us muskie guys.... ;)
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

I saw a 7.1lbs. L/M come out of the Rideau....wieghed on a certified scale....caught by Topwater :shock: ....fluk.....we had a bet, how could hit a paper plate that was sitting on the edge of a mat down near long Island locks...i went first ...landed inches away...Topwater casts ...misses by two feet...and catchs a 7.1 lbs bass :shock: :shock: :shock: we have very poor pic of it...it was the last pic on the roll and half of the pic is red...I'll dig it up and scan it ,see if i get it posted
Last edited by big-o on Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cancatchbass
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

The plot thickens!

Post by Cancatchbass »

No disrespect to Dave W., whom I have known for years, but Dana (walleyeboy) summed it up well with his 8.1? post on the other board. FF could see there is a problem with the reported weights, too. I think there is a possibility the scales used were not accurate.

Electronic scales are subject to spitting out garbage weights on occasion. I can take my Berkley scales and with a little coaxing have them give weights for the same fish of between 3.5 and 5 pounds. Not by using any secret knowledge of electronics, but simply by jerking on the hook that the fish is suspended. Doesn't happen all the time, but a struggling fish can cause this same reading error.

Unfortunately, (or fortunately for the fish!) not many fish ever get weighed on certified scales, as most anglers will not take their catch to a post office or butcher shop. :lol:

My replica is of a 23.25", fat bass caught (and released) on Gananoque Lake. I guesstimated her to weigh 7 1/2, and this is probably a reasonable guesstimate, but who knows? I do believe it was a better fish than any of those referred to on the other board. :twisted:

Anyways, sure there are legit. 7 pounders in the Ottawa. Put in 80-100 days per year chasing one and sooner or later, you just might get to tangle with one. But don't set your hearts on catching one. Go after a 48" muskie. The odds are much better. :lol:

CCB
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

The weight issue again.... :lol: :lol:

I agree that fish isn't 8.1..... :roll:

If there is one out there.....I hope a Hawk-Talker gets it..... :D

RJ
Big Bass 444
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Big Bass 444 »

So far I like what I hear about this topic. I would like to point out a few things. Remember that pictures can be tricky sometimes and if you take lots of them at different angles you will see that the fish might look bigger
or smaller in different frame. If you take lots of bass pictures you will get better with other pictures weight estimations. My suggestion here would be for all who believe having a 7 pounder in the boat the least you could do would be to take a picture of it beside a mesuring tape. I aggree that a 23 incher should over 6 pounds...add lots girt to it and you should swim near the 6.5....maybe closer to 7 pounds if the thickness and bone structures is right.

What I think?...just under 7 pounds would be the best the Ottawa river have to offer. I have 3 basses over 5 pounds this year none over 6 so far. with a total of 89 up to date. I fish LMB 3 times a week from June to October. If I get a 6.5 +this year you will all know about it.
Cancatchbass
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

St. Lawrence Bass

Post by Cancatchbass »

Here's a photo of a St. Lawrence largemouth- 8 pounds 3 ounces. Based on where it was caught, there is a chance I caught the same fish, from that exact location, a year earlier.

There is absolutely NO reason to believe the Ottawa can't produce a bass to equal it.

CCB
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

Now that is a PIG!That is a florida or texas lookin bass!And on the ST.L CCB said it right,there is no way the Ottawa cant produce an equal fish,or in the same range.

CCB thx for that pic,I wont be able to sleep tonight :lol:

T.L F.F
Big Bass 444
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

From the Ottawa...can you guess It's weight?????

Post by Big Bass 444 »

Big Bass 444
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

....and can you guess this one right??????(clue on picture)

Post by Big Bass 444 »

also from the Ottawa