shirleys bay ramp

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: shirleys bay ramp

Post by smitty55 »

Jholder wrote:
Gord wrote:THIS is what you need down at Shirley's.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_rciZ0E9Uo#t=82
You know how much those weight Gord? :D
I was itching to use a tractor but im not comfortable with 7 tons on 18" :roll:
Only 18" ?? I thought there was well over 2 feet out there now.
Smitty

Straight shooter
Jholder
Participant
Participant

Post by Jholder »

smitty55 wrote:
Jholder wrote:

Only 18" ?? I thought there was well over 2 feet out there now.
30" at my shack due E, but as i punched a string of check holes yesterday i found it tapers back to 22-24" in most of the inner bay on route to shack, aswell punched a hole that was at 18" to snow.
Tons of black ice, but not enough to risk 130k :lol:
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

Jholder wrote:

I was just kidding of course......lol. I feel for you guys, man :( ......pray for a meltdown.....and solid re-freeze.
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
Tha Animal
Participant
Participant

Post by Tha Animal »

What is the state of the ramp now? Did anyone manage to get a blower in? Might head out this afternoon, I do have a truck but not sure if there is other trucks out there. A few guys at petrie lastnight got their shacks off the far ice using two trucks in tandem, looked like they were having a good time spinning some snow. Good Luck!
grizz
Participant
Participant

Post by grizz »

A few 4x4 vehicles out today before someone got stuck and really messed it up. An army of shovels and snow blowers opened a hole to get the trucks off... But beware BIG ROCKS UNDER THE SNOW.....they were able to drive over them next guy may loose an oil pan :shock:
Yakster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Yakster »

Very entertaining today...you'd be hard pressed to drive out. Some guys cleared the launch a bit but those damn rocks seem to hang up everybody.
I'd highly recommend not taking a truck for a test drive and seeing if it can make it out...just ask the guy the guy that did that today.(not me)
Sled, quad or heel toe express...
Jholder
Participant
Participant

Post by Jholder »

Some lovely gentlemen did do some clearing!, to get some (trucks)? off that were there this am,as i heard.
But as Yakster said very entertaining and "fun" none the less :roll:
40" mud tires didn't cut it today for us but they weren't on the best true 4x4 and approach to fresh snow as its all chewed up down there.
Almost had my shack up and moving behind the atv but our tow "rigging" broke... :| ...re-try.

Another contact of mine has offered to try to plow and if we can before the next snow should be do-able, but if everyone could just pray we dont get a dumping of wet snow, that'd be great ! :lol:

Tight lines Lads.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Good luck guys. Hope it works out for you. What's with those big rocks? Sounds like the lane is in the wrong spot now. I almost made it there yesterday for a looksee, but ran out of time.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Good luck guys. Hope it works out for you. What's with those big rocks? Sounds like the lane is in the wrong spot now. I almost made it there yesterday for a looksee, but ran out of time.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
davidto1
Participant
Participant

Post by davidto1 »

Lots of time yet boys, and I wouldn't panic about the removal date.

This is the number 1 reason I got rid of my permanent shack, though I do miss it. :?
Jholder
Participant
Participant

Post by Jholder »

Smitty, there WAS a solid path created before over the banks/rocks at the beginning of the ramp that everyone started using and now the rocks are starting to show as its wore away.

Anyhow I & some buddies will be attempting to plow somewhat of an access tomorrow am. I will see how it goes and report back asap as some of you may wish to remove your huts or clear our a bit before we get any more good snow.
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

Does anyone know what the fine is worth if you can't get your shack off ?
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

Big Pike Mike wrote:Does anyone know what the fine is worth if you can't get your shack off ?
1000.00 a day!!!!! Plus if they have to remove it you get that bill as well. You should call them and see if they will extend the cut off date due to the conditions. Ours is coming down and off this Sat
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

CCLad wrote:
Big Pike Mike wrote:Does anyone know what the fine is worth if you can't get your shack off ?
1000.00 a day!!!!! Plus if they have to remove it you get that bill as well. You should call them and see if they will extend the cut off date due to the conditions. Ours is coming down and off this Sat
Thanks for the answer, I only asked out of curiosity. With the ATV and tracks, and only a portable hut I have no worries. Actually spent the afternoon on Sunday pulling some shacks off for friends up at Combermere where they couldn't get trucks out to them anymore.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

CCLad wrote:
I just talked to the Peterborough MNR office about ice shack removal. He was aware of a $150 fine for late removal but said he had never heard of a $1000 fine. Maybe for a bad pollution related event like chemical spills etc.
He was very specific though that he had received a notice from the enforcement division that there will be NO grace period for late shack removal, so that won't happen it seems. Better get them off while you can guys. Good luck with it.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter