shirleys bay ramp

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

shirleys bay ramp

Post by tbone1088 »

Hey guys,
Is anybody out there as worried as I am about taking the trailers off this year??? A little less than three weeks left until the deadline, and the ramp is looking worse than it's been all season. I don't even know if plowing it will do anything at this point, we need some warm weather to melt the crazy drifts that have accumulated. Was thinking about using the other launch if it stays this way, but that has a whole new set of problems to deal with. Anyone have some ideas for what to do out there?
LifeIsntWasted
Participant
Participant

Re: shirleys bay ramp

Post by LifeIsntWasted »

I was wondering how all of you would be getting your huts off the ice with those drifts, they're pretty solid drifts!
Yakster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Yakster »

I've seen guys use guardrail as skis for wheeled trailers.
not sure what the launch is like at the tip of Grandview Road but might be another option...

Or plan B.....
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

There is access over by the sailing club but without looking I'd bet its well buried as well. If you do use that route, stay close to the shore line as there is substantial currant just east of the point and vehicles have gone through in the past. That said, Need mother nature to chip in!!!!
Jholder
Participant
Participant

Post by Jholder »

Well there is a few post conditions in the other shirleys thread.
But that deadline is for sure closing in and this weather is brutal.
Yes its pretty bad but someone has been shoving through occasionally.
I would worry more about the extra weight of warm snow/ melt, unless it gets real solid after but that would be a whole other set of problems.
all the plows i have access too are boxed so much harder to work with when that deep, and the first time i checked ice for a tractor/loader was only 18" but was heading towards 3ft at my shack late last week so that maybe an option now.
Worst case ontario im thinking long hike with snow blowers if anyone wants to join :lol: .
canam04
Participant
Participant

Post by canam04 »

Hello concerned friends,

In my opinion there aren't many options left. I think the only option really is to clear down the ramp as best as possible and when past the rocks lining the ramp then clear path through snow bank and then once through that then it would be "smooth sailing". All I can say is that it will be interesting to say the least.
grizz
Participant
Participant

Post by grizz »

Maybe a shack moving party is in order.. :lol:
Jholder
Participant
Participant

Post by Jholder »

grizz wrote:Maybe a shack moving party is in order.. :lol:
Maybe start with a road building party first :lol:
For the guys with smaller shacks on skis etc its going to be alot easier for sure once you get a smooth run to shore so that it wont tip and pull with sleds..
Myn and a couple others have trailers so i cant see many options other than a clean road or skis under the wheels and a tracked atv.
But as Canam said it'll be interesting to say the least, See yas out there! :D
Yakster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Yakster »

What are the chances a couple huts are hit by lightning and burst into flames this year;)
Jholder
Participant
Participant

Post by Jholder »

Yakster wrote:What are the chances a couple huts are hit by lightning and burst into flames this year;)
:lol: haha an age old solution, sure as snow wont be mine though!
IF we cant get a road cleared i have a buddy with a tracked grizzly willing to pull shacks, il likely just knock down a smooth trail and haul arse with homemade skis at that point. :?
Ps. pending buddy with v-plow early next week if heavy eq not an option. :roll:
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Lots of time yet boys, and I wouldn't panic about the removal date.

This is the number 1 reason I got rid of my permanent shack, though I do miss it.

RJ
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

RJ wrote:Lots of time yet boys, and I wouldn't panic about the removal date.

This is the number 1 reason I got rid of my permanent shack, though I do miss it.

RJ
Got that right Rob. Still 3 weeks to go and if conditions are real bad I think the ministry would be understanding.

If I had a shack out there and someone could make a good road that would let me stay out longer, and be fairly sure of a good exit later, I'd sure be willing to contribute to the cause. Specially if a bunch of the shacks chip in. And if it looks to get even worse then I would also have no prob buying that man with the tracks a box of beer. :)

The winter and summer access problems there became far worse when they put up all those damn boulders and restricted access to the shore. Before that there could be new roads getting pushed through all along the shoreline as required, as sometimes the main road got real bad. And then some years you could drive up and down the river with any good car. Go figure eh?

One more thing about fishing Shirley's. March is by far the best time to ice fish for big Pike and Lake Trout. Shirley's Bay just so happens to be the largest spawning ground on the river for a long ways. Pike spawn early.They are there in good numbers if you fish the right areas with big baits... :wink: Some of those beauty warm March days can make for some real enjoyable times, with the chance of real quality fish. It's kinda like those March Laker trips, except you're close to home on a day trip. I'm hoping for decent enough conditions in a couple of weeks or so that we can get out there with the quads and not have to worry about taking my truck out at all. I'm also hoping Gord might have some real big minnows, or it will be mostly dead bait rigs in shallower water.

Good luck to all you guys with shacks. Late ice out is good for fishing

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

RJ wrote:

RJ
yeah.....me too. :wink:

next one I get is gonna be a hovercraft....... :lol: :lol: :shock: :wink:
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

smitty55 wrote:I'm also hoping Gord might have some real big minnows, or it will be mostly dead bait rigs in shallower water.
Ya never know Smitty......stay tuned to our website for details! :wink:

www.bitsandbaits.com
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
Jholder
Participant
Participant

Post by Jholder »

smitty55 wrote:
RJ wrote:Lots of time yet boys, and I wouldn't panic about the removal date.

RJ
Got that right Rob. Still 3 weeks to go and if conditions are real bad I think the ministry would be understanding.

If I had a shack out there and someone could make a good road that would let me stay out longer, and be fairly sure of a good exit later, I'd sure be willing to contribute to the cause. Specially if a bunch of the shacks chip in. And if it looks to get even worse then I would also have no prob buying that man with the tracks a box of beer. :)

The winter and summer access problems there became far worse when they put up all those damn boulders and restricted access to the shore. Before that there could be new roads getting pushed through all along the shoreline as required, as sometimes the main road got real bad. And then some years you could drive up and down the river with any good car. Go figure eh?

One more thing about fishing Shirley's. March is by far the best time to ice fish for big Pike and Lake Trout. Shirley's Bay just so happens to be the largest spawning ground on the river for a long ways. Pike spawn early.They are there in good numbers if you fish the right areas with big baits... :wink: Some of those beauty warm March days can make for some real enjoyable times, with the chance of real quality fish. It's kinda like those March Laker trips, except you're close to home on a day trip. I'm hoping for decent enough conditions in a couple of weeks or so that we can get out there with the quads and not have to worry about taking my truck out at all. I'm also hoping Gord might have some real big minnows, or it will be mostly dead bait rigs in shallower water.

Good luck to all you guys with shacks. Late ice out is good for fishing

Cheers
Oh i hear yas!
I usually start to flop back to my portable about now when the slush starts showing up. my permy is just not fun to deal with in the wetness now that my winter vehicle isnt as capable, and is used as more than just a shack(you could say i just use the river for storage).
But you can bet i will be out there for them last ice fish :D