shirleys bay ramp

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
canam04
Participant
Participant

Re: shirleys bay ramp

Post by canam04 »

smitty55 wrote:
RJ wrote:Lots of time yet boys, and I wouldn't panic about the removal date.

This is the number 1 reason I got rid of my permanent shack, though I do miss it.

RJ
Got that right Rob. Still 3 weeks to go and if conditions are real bad I think the ministry would be understanding.

If I had a shack out there and someone could make a good road that would let me stay out longer, and be fairly sure of a good exit later, I'd sure be willing to contribute to the cause. Specially if a bunch of the shacks chip in. And if it looks to get even worse then I would also have no prob buying that man with the tracks a box of beer. :)

The winter and summer access problems there became far worse when they put up all those damn boulders and restricted access to the shore. Before that there could be new roads getting pushed through all along the shoreline as required, as sometimes the main road got real bad. And then some years you could drive up and down the river with any good car. Go figure eh?

One more thing about fishing Shirley's. March is by far the best time to ice fish for big Pike and Lake Trout. Shirley's Bay just so happens to be the largest spawning ground on the river for a long ways. Pike spawn early.They are there in good numbers if you fish the right areas with big baits... :wink: Some of those beauty warm March days can make for some real enjoyable times, with the chance of real quality fish. It's kinda like those March Laker trips, except you're close to home on a day trip. I'm hoping for decent enough conditions in a couple of weeks or so that we can get out there with the quads and not have to worry about taking my truck out at all. I'm also hoping Gord might have some real big minnows, or it will be mostly dead bait rigs in shallower water.

Good luck to all you guys with shacks. Late ice out is good for fishing

Cheers
I have only been fishing shirley's for the last 4 years in hard water season but never knew that there were lake trout. do the lake trout come right into the bay or do you have to go out into the edge of the point to get them in deeper water. If they are around at last ice what would you recommend to use for bait if you don't mind sharing.
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

....there are no Lake Trout in the Ottawa River. They tried to introduce them in the upper section of the river near Deep River in the 90's, but that was a failure. :wink:
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
MichaelGA
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MichaelGA »

ROFL ...

get out the :angry-extinguishflame:
Yakster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Yakster »

Your such a buzz kill Gord.... :cry:
canam04
Participant
Participant

Post by canam04 »

We'll I guess based on the replies that was a stupid question. :oops: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:
Pickerel Boy Senior
Participant
Participant

Post by Pickerel Boy Senior »

Early In this post it was mentioned about getting together to clear a new road to clear the ramp just past the boulders. Any thoughts on this for a Saturday morning go at it. It would be if we had a couple snowblowers and a couple of guys knocking down the snow banks. I have a snowblower and would be up for this.

need to get out for a fish in the hut, cure the fever :roll:
Jholder
Participant
Participant

Post by Jholder »

Pickerel Boy Senior wrote:Early In this post it was mentioned about getting together to clear a new road to clear the ramp just past the boulders. Any thoughts on this for a Saturday morning go at it. It would be if we had a couple snowblowers and a couple of guys knocking down the snow banks. I have a snowblower and would be up for this.

need to get out for a fish in the hut, cure the fever :roll:
PBS, Im trying to get down this week with a tractor as we now have sufficient ice, if that's a flop then my buddy who has a v-plow should be good for this weekend.
Otherwise im all for a team effort, im all for exercise and snowshoeing but driving to my door is just too nice, aswell its gotta come off sooner or later.
Tight Lines
Pickerel Boy Senior
Participant
Participant

thanks JHolder, look forward to see how you make out with the plow and if still needed we can give it a try on Saturday

Good luck
Jholder
Participant
Participant

Post by Jholder »

Pickerel Boy Senior wrote:thanks JHolder, look forward to see how you make out with the plow and if still needed we can give it a try on Saturday

Good luck
we'll see, always something :roll:
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

canam04 wrote:We'll I guess based on the replies that was a stupid question. :oops: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:
Lol, sorry Phil. I could have worded it better. I didn't mean to infer that there were Lakers in the Ottawa, although I used to hear stories of them in the that deep trench out by Port of Call Marina. I was just saying that March is the best time of the year to enjoy fishing them.
Off topic, but I really miss our 3 day trips to Palmerston before they closed the season, and also to fish Bark Lake at Sunnyhill Camp and High Country Snoasis. Unfortunately Sunnyhill no longer puts shacks out and Snoasis closed up. It's the only place I've ice fished Lakers in ten feet of water with a decent current.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

Yakster wrote:Your such a buzz kill Gord.... :cry:
....sorry dude...... :wink: :)

Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

THIS is what you need down at Shirley's.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_rciZ0E9Uo#t=82

Fish_Hunt
Participant
Participant

Post by Fish_Hunt »

Hi All,

I ended up taking mine (8fx8ft) off on Wednesday night because I will be out of town for the next couple weeks. Took my skandic and a buddies tundra and just over a hour to get it to the edge of the boulders at shore. Then we had about 150-200ft of recovery strap and heavy rope that we used to drag it the rest of the way with my truck into the parking lot. All in all it was about 3hrs once we got it on the trailer and everything loaded up. Thinking I will get more use out of the clam next year...
Pickerel Boy Senior
Participant
Participant

Not sure the state of the ramp, anyone have an update, and as mentioned, we can get together to try to open a new a road.

Thanks
Jholder
Participant
Participant

Post by Jholder »

Gord wrote:THIS is what you need down at Shirley's.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_rciZ0E9Uo#t=82
You know how much those weight Gord? :D
I was itching to use a tractor but im not comfortable with 7 tons on 18" :roll: